I’m not sure if my chameleon is sick or unwell i’m not sure if anyone can help

This little guy did not show till like 7 months.
can’t even see the tiny heal spurs.
DD9E6DA0-588D-476D-9C67-443BE87CEC2B.jpeg

Your Chameleon - Veiled around 2 months old ( going off what the shop told me)
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I don’t actually try to handle him as he’s still pretty terrified and runs away when i open the enclosure Lol so i leave him to his own devices.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? He was eating crickets and locusts to start with but now just medium sized locusts. Normally give him around 7-14 depending how hungry he seems to be. As for gut loading i try just stuff like lettuce and left over veg? as i’m not sure what is best / most ideal MORE VARIETY WOULD BE GOOD..SILKWORMS, ROACHES, BSFL, AND ONCE IN A WHILE SUPERWORMS AND WAXWORMS AND HORNWORMS.
LETTUCE ISN'T A GOOD CHOICE...TRY DANDELLION GREENS, KALE, COLLARDS, SQUASH, ZUCCHINI, ENDIVE, SWEET POTATO, SWEET RED PEPPER, CARROTS, ETC AND A TINY BIT OF FRUIT SUCH AS APPLES, PEARS, BERRIES.
FOR FEEDING, YOU WILL WANT TO START CUTTING THE FEEDING DOWN TO EVERY SECOND DAY AS HE GROWS...SAME AMOUNT OF FEEDERS YOU DO IN A DAY AT FIRST AND THEN, AS HE'S FULL GROWN CUT HIM BACK TO ABOUT 5 CRICKETS (or equal value in other insects) 2 OR 3 TIMES A WEEK.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I have both Earth pro A and CalciumPro mg. Both arcadia i believe and then Nutrobal on the 7th day. (although i did read someone say this is too much so what would be a good schedule with these supplements ?
SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO ADVISE YOU ABOUT THESE SUPPLEMENTS SINCE I DONT USE THEM. THE IDEA IS THOUGH, THAT YOU DUST THE INSECTS JUST BEFORE FEEDING THEM TO THE CHAMELEON... WITH A PHOS FREE CALCIUM POWDER AT EVERY FEEDING BUT ONE A WEEK. ON THAT ONE FEEDING YOU SHOULD ALTERNATE BETWEEN A PHOS FREE CALCIUM/D3 POWDER AND A VITAMIN POWDER WITH NO D3 AND A PREFORMED SOURCE OF VITAMIN A...ALL DUSTINGS SHOULD BE LIGHT.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist it by hand at the moment as i currently haven’t got a mister. I try and do it once before work and once just before the lights go off, maybe when i get home from work too if it looks a little dry. Normally for around a minute or two. I’ve never actually seen my chameleon drink. - Until literally now whilst writing this post lol.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His poo is normally a Black/brown with a Yellow/white looking addition with it. His most recent poo i’ve seen is the one photographed.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Nothing that i can think useful.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? I have an Exo terra glass cage with a mesh top. 45x45x90 and bioactive with tropical woodlouse and spring tails in the soil ( what the shop recommended me )

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? As for the UVB bulb I believe it’s either a 6 or 8% T8 i can’t remember the make but it was around £50/60. I also have a 100W Heat lamp placed above the basking zone and i have them both on 12 hour timers from 10am - 10pm UVB LIGHTS MOST OFTEN RECOMMENDED ARE THE ARCADIA 6% LONG TUBE LIGHT OR THE REPTISUN 5.0 LONG TUBE LIGHT. FOR BASKING THE LIGHT AHOULD BE A WHITE LIGHT AND MOST OFTEN RECOMMENDED IS A REGULAR HOUSEHOLD INCANDESCENT BULB (not LED).

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking zone is around 32° but varies from 30 to 34 ish. I have a hygrometer to check temp and humidity and then the lamp is connected to a thermostat which regulates the basking zone ( as the probe is directly where he would be sitting ) As for lower down the cage i believe the bottom could be somewhere around 23? I’d have to check properly and come back to that. BASKING SHOULD BE IN THE LOW 80's F.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? As before i use a hygrometer for humidity and temperature. I normally try to keep it around the 40/50% mark but if i see it around that i normally give it another mist anyway.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have one main plant in the back corner which provides solid branches for him and then a pothos hanging at the top of the cage ( apologies i can’t remember the name or the plant but I was told it was suitable )

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
He’s in the corner of my room near both windows, with a fan on in my room as it’s been around 28° this week in the UK. the cage is placed around 3/4ft off the ground on a set of drawers. the top of the cage is around 6ft high
I WOULD MOVE THE CAGE AWAY FROM THE WINDOWS IF IT GETS COLD WHERE YOU LIVE IN THE WINTER TIME...AND MAKE SURE THE SUN DOESNT SHINE DIRECTLY IN THE CAGE SO THAT YOUNDONT ACCIDENTALLYNOVERHEAT YOUR CHAMELEON.

Location - Where are you geographically located? United kingdom, nottingham

@veiledboi See my feedback in bold.

• Your Chameleon - Veiled around 2 months old ( going off what the shop told me)... So was he this age when you got him? How long have you had him?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I don’t actually try to handle him as he’s still pretty terrified and runs away when i open the enclosure Lol so i leave him to his own devices. Most hate being messed with.

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? He was eating crickets and locusts to start with but now just medium sized locusts. Normally give him around 7-14 depending how hungry he seems to be. As for gut loading i try just stuff like lettuce and left over veg? as i’m not sure what is best / most ideal See gutloading image and feeder image below.

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I have both Earth pro A and CalciumPro mg. Both arcadia i believe and then Nutrobal on the 7th day. (although i did read someone say this is too much so what would be a good schedule with these supplements ? Could you take pics of the Nutrobal so I can see exactly what it is. The EPA and Cal MG would not cause toxic levels in a cham. They are supposed to be used as if they are regular calcium. Arcadia is an 8 feed cycle. So EPA on feeds 1-3. Cal-mg on feed 4. Then EPA on feeds 5-7. BUT then your supposed to use their RevitaliseD3 on the 8th feed (this is the one with D3 and A). You have to track these supplements on a calendar when you switch to less feeding days. You still stay in the cycle even when skipping feeding days. However UVB lighting has to be correct using these products.

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist it by hand at the moment as i currently haven’t got a mister. I try and do it once before work and once just before the lights go off, maybe when i get home from work too if it looks a little dry. Normally for around a minute or two. I’ve never actually seen my chameleon drink. - Until literally now whilst writing this post lol. Do you have a dripper during the day? 1-2 minutes really is not long enough to give them time to drink. Veileds prefer to drink when they see the water hitting leaves. Add a plastic cup put tiny tiny pin holes in it and set it directly on the cage top over plants. Put ice cubes in it so it provides a slow drip during the day.

• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His poo is normally a Black/brown with a Yellow/white looking addition with it. His most recent poo i’ve seen is the one photographed. Get a fecal done just to make sure there is not a parasite issue.

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Nothing that i can think useful.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? I have an Exo terra glass cage with a mesh top. 45x45x90 and bioactive with tropical woodlouse and spring tails in the soil ( what the shop recommended me ) Ok make sure the venting strip on the front is not covered inside. You need to be able to have the air flow. Consider adding a small pc fan to the top pulling air up and out of the enclosure NOT in.

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? As for the UVB bulb I believe it’s either a 6 or 8% T8 i can’t remember the make but it was around £50/60. I also have a 100W Heat lamp placed above the basking zone and i have them both on 12 hour timers from 10am - 10pm So you are sure it is a T8? It is not a T5HO? Take a look at the fixture and the bulb and please let me know. More then likely it is a 6% bulb not an 8% unless arcadia makes an 8% available over on your side of the pond. lol. 100 Watt heat lamp is too hot. Drop it back to a 60-75 watt max incandescent bulb.

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Basking zone is around 32° but varies from 30 to 34 ish. I have a hygrometer to check temp and humidity and then the lamp is connected to a thermostat which regulates the basking zone ( as the probe is directly where he would be sitting ) As for lower down the cage i believe the bottom could be somewhere around 23? I’d have to check properly and come back to that. Wayyyyyy too hot at basking. Your looking for 80-85MAX so 26-29 C. Max. Get a lower wattage bulb as I mentioned above. Glass really holds heat. And you do not want a hot box. Lower temps would sit around 21-24 max.

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? As before i use a hygrometer for humidity and temperature. I normally try to keep it around the 40/50% mark but if i see it around that i normally give it another mist anyway. 30-50% max daytime levels... Veileds will do fine even at 25%.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have one main plant in the back corner which provides solid branches for him and then a pothos hanging at the top of the cage ( apologies i can’t remember the name or the plant but I was told it was suitable ) Good.

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • He’s in the corner of my room near both windows, with a fan on in my room as it’s been around 28° this week in the UK. the cage is placed around 3/4ft off the ground on a set of drawers. the top of the cage is around 6ft high Should room temps climb to a basking temp you want to kick off all fixtures EXCEPT the UVB fixture.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? United kingdom, nottingham
Thanks a lot for all replies i hope this helps

Resource for learning correct husbandry https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

chameleon academy plants.png
chameleon-gutload.jpg
chameleon-food(1).jpg

He’s been good normally eating around 8-10 insects a day with Earthpro+ 3 days in a row, then calcium, then 2 more earth pro and then another vitamin one i can’t remember name for day 7.

He managed to get a butterfly some how a couple of days ago. when i’ve come into the room seems darker than usual and seems to have brown areas on his head and feet, sometimes even tiny dark spots.

He’s not eaten anything these last few days not interested what so ever. I’ll post some pictures to try and help.

He’s a veiled chameleon around 1 and a half month/ 2 months old.

any help is appreciated thankyou
Been around the bottom of the cage recently and seems a lot darker colours is this normal ?

Attachments

• 7300A75D-6B08-4799-A902-D3060672AE44.jpeg
    7300A75D-6B08-4799-A902-D3060672AE44.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DA419817-212C-4C25-9E19-8F834759AC02.jpeg
    DA419817-212C-4C25-9E19-8F834759AC02.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 58
Been around the bottom of the cage recently and seems a lot darker colours is this normal ?
So looking at this pic I can confirm you have a young male.

Now the eye turrets are pretty pulled in. Have you added the dripper during the day to give him more opportunity to drink? Colors are normal. Wondering the cage is normal.

So looking at this pic I can confirm you have a young male.

Now the eye turrets are pretty pulled in. Have you added the dripper during the day to give him more opportunity to drink? Colors are normal. Wondering the cage is normal.
yeah he’d been hiding down right near the rock, just thought looked very dark (always thought that was a bad thing).

Is the brown/grey around the head like on the ridges a bad thing or just a normal colour for them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 64
yeah he’d been hiding down right near the rock, just thought looked very dark (always thought that was a bad thing).

Is the brown/grey around the head like on the ridges a bad thing or just a normal colour for them
That looks like normal color. As long as it totally fades back out when he lightens up then it is normal.

Is your enclosure bio active with a drainage layer and isopods to keep the dirt clean?

@veiledboi See my feedback in bold.

• Your Chameleon - Veiled around 2 months old ( going off what the shop told me)... So was he this age when you got him? How long have you had him?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I don’t actually try to handle him as he’s still pretty terrified and runs away when i open the enclosure Lol so i leave him to his own devices. Most hate being messed with.

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? He was eating crickets and locusts to start with but now just medium sized locusts. Normally give him around 7-14 depending how hungry he seems to be. As for gut loading i try just stuff like lettuce and left over veg? as i’m not sure what is best / most ideal See gutloading image and feeder image below.

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I have both Earth pro A and CalciumPro mg. Both arcadia i believe and then Nutrobal on the 7th day. (although i did read someone say this is too much so what would be a good schedule with these supplements ? Could you take pics of the Nutrobal so I can see exactly what it is. The EPA and Cal MG would not cause toxic levels in a cham. They are supposed to be used as if they are regular calcium. Arcadia is an 8 feed cycle. So EPA on feeds 1-3. Cal-mg on feed 4. Then EPA on feeds 5-7. BUT then your supposed to use their RevitaliseD3 on the 8th feed (this is the one with D3 and A). You have to track these supplements on a calendar when you switch to less feeding days. You still stay in the cycle even when skipping feeding days. However UVB lighting has to be correct using these products.

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist it by hand at the moment as i currently haven’t got a mister. I try and do it once before work and once just before the lights go off, maybe when i get home from work too if it looks a little dry. Normally for around a minute or two. I’ve never actually seen my chameleon drink. - Until literally now whilst writing this post lol. Do you have a dripper during the day? 1-2 minutes really is not long enough to give them time to drink. Veileds prefer to drink when they see the water hitting leaves. Add a plastic cup put tiny tiny pin holes in it and set it directly on the cage top over plants. Put ice cubes in it so it provides a slow drip during the day.

• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His poo is normally a Black/brown with a Yellow/white looking addition with it. His most recent poo i’ve seen is the one photographed. Get a fecal done just to make sure there is not a parasite issue.

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Nothing that i can think useful.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? I have an Exo terra glass cage with a mesh top. 45x45x90 and bioactive with tropical woodlouse and spring tails in the soil ( what the shop recommended me ) Ok make sure the venting strip on the front is not covered inside. You need to be able to have the air flow. Consider adding a small pc fan to the top pulling air up and out of the enclosure NOT in.

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? As for the UVB bulb I believe it’s either a 6 or 8% T8 i can’t remember the make but it was around £50/60. I also have a 100W Heat lamp placed above the basking zone and i have them both on 12 hour timers from 10am - 10pm So you are sure it is a T8? It is not a T5HO? Take a look at the fixture and the bulb and please let me know. More then likely it is a 6% bulb not an 8% unless arcadia makes an 8% available over on your side of the pond. lol. 100 Watt heat lamp is too hot. Drop it back to a 60-75 watt max incandescent bulb.

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Basking zone is around 32° but varies from 30 to 34 ish. I have a hygrometer to check temp and humidity and then the lamp is connected to a thermostat which regulates the basking zone ( as the probe is directly where he would be sitting ) As for lower down the cage i believe the bottom could be somewhere around 23? I’d have to check properly and come back to that. Wayyyyyy too hot at basking. Your looking for 80-85MAX so 26-29 C. Max. Get a lower wattage bulb as I mentioned above. Glass really holds heat. And you do not want a hot box. Lower temps would sit around 21-24 max.

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? As before i use a hygrometer for humidity and temperature. I normally try to keep it around the 40/50% mark but if i see it around that i normally give it another mist anyway. 30-50% max daytime levels... Veileds will do fine even at 25%.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have one main plant in the back corner which provides solid branches for him and then a pothos hanging at the top of the cage ( apologies i can’t remember the name or the plant but I was told it was suitable ) Good.

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • He’s in the corner of my room near both windows, with a fan on in my room as it’s been around 28° this week in the UK. the cage is placed around 3/4ft off the ground on a set of drawers. the top of the cage is around 6ft high Should room temps climb to a basking temp you want to kick off all fixtures EXCEPT the UVB fixture.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? United kingdom, nottingham
Thanks a lot for all replies i hope this helps

Resource for learning correct husbandry https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

View attachment 306048View attachment 306049View attachment 306050
Spot on thanks a lot for that info!

Back
Top Bottom