I’m finally done!!! Rate my enclosure?

xxaprilrose

Established Member
I will be getting a male panther chameleon within the next 2 weeks, possibly a bit longer just waiting for a ready date from framschams. I finished the enclosure all with the exception of the mistking because I decided to buy the bracket and it won’t be here until Tuesday which I’ll install it then but everything else is good to go! The pathos in the top right and the wandering Jew on the top left should fill out and fill some of that empty space up at top. What do you all think? I’m so excited!

Attachments

• 95578EB8-A4FB-466E-83B2-C9C164AAE5A5.jpeg
    95578EB8-A4FB-466E-83B2-C9C164AAE5A5.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 3EF1A52F-635B-4438-9F0C-E3748CBD78B2.jpeg
    3EF1A52F-635B-4438-9F0C-E3748CBD78B2.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 7B6DA1DC-761D-4F51-8696-16B4021B0051.jpeg
    7B6DA1DC-761D-4F51-8696-16B4021B0051.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 93
  • 8BE729D7-DE4F-47BA-A845-C7A0FC0E0139.jpeg
    8BE729D7-DE4F-47BA-A845-C7A0FC0E0139.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 112
It looks great! Although a vast majority of those branches are too big for a baby to comfortably grip. I'd replace the Exo Terra vines with safe ones, too. Also, you'll need to reposition the UVB bulb so it is straight above the basking branch going down/parallel with it. What type (T8 or T5 HO), brand, and strength of UVB bulb do you have? Does the fixture hold 2 lamps, and if so, do they have separate reflectors or share the same one? What is the distance from the basking branch to the UVB bulb, as well?

cool! are they all real plants??
yes all real plants
It looks great! Although a vast majority of those branches are too big for a baby to comfortably grip. I'd replace the Exo Terra vines with safe ones, too. Also, you'll need to reposition the UVB bulb so it is straight above the basking branch going down/parallel with it. What type (T8 or T5 HO), brand, and strength of UVB bulb do you have? Does the fixture hold 2 lamps, and if so, do they have separate reflectors or share the same one? What is the distance from the basking branch to the UVB bulb, as well?
So switch the UVB bulb horizontally? Also, its the zoo med t5 24 inch hood. UVB is 5.. the basking lamp and plant lamp are separate fixtures so I can move them. Also thanks for ur help!

No problem, ask as many questions as you want! Yes, you want the UVB bulb to be overhead of the basking branch. Is the T5 HO fixture a dual or single bulb fixture. If it's a single bulb fixture or the UVB bulb has its own reflector, you'll want the basking branch 5" from the top of the cage and the UVB raised up 4" off of the top of the cage (if you can afford it, get a Solarmeter 6.5 to accurately measure UVI levels). You don't want it resting on top because babies screen climb, and if it isn't raised, the exposure from the UVB bulb will be too high. You'll also want to raise the basking bulb, as well

No problem, ask as many questions as you want! Yes, you want the UVB bulb to be overhead of the basking branch. Is the T5 HO fixture a dual or single bulb fixture. If it's a single bulb fixture or the UVB bulb has its own reflector, you'll want the basking branch 5" from the top of the cage and the UVB raised up 4" off of the top of the cage (if you can afford it, get a Solarmeter 6.5 to accurately measure UVI levels). You don't want it resting on top because babies screen climb, and if it isn't raised, the exposure from the UVB bulb will be too high. You'll also want to raise the basking bulb, as well
oh its a single bulb hood. honestly I didnt even know there were double bulb hoods lol the basking branch is 7 inches from the heat lamp and the uvb is 6 inches but if i make it horizontal it could either be 6 inches or 10 inches. Basking branch if i point the heat gun directly on the branch it reads 86 degrees right now. Should I still raise the uvb?

oh its a single bulb hood. honestly I didnt even know there were double bulb hoods lol the basking branch is 7 inches from the heat lamp and the uvb is 6 inches but if i make it horizontal it could either be 6 inches or 10 inches. Basking branch if i point the heat gun directly on the branch it reads 86 degrees right now. Should I still raise the uvb?
7" is kind of pushing it for the distance between the heat bulb and basking branch, 8-9+" is preferred. You'll want to replace her basking branch with a smaller diameter branch. When you exchange them out, you can mount the thinner basking branch at 5" from below the top of the cage. With measuring basking temps, you want to measure them with a digital thermometer with a probe, as they are the most accurate, and heat guns measure surface temps (basking temps are air temps, not surface). You'll want to hang the probe where the top of your chameleon's back will be when he/she is on his/her basking branch. It should measure 80*F there for now

7" is kind of pushing it for the distance between the heat bulb and basking branch, 8-9+" is preferred. You'll want to replace her basking branch with a smaller diameter branch. When you exchange them out, you can mount the thinner basking branch at 5" from below the top of the cage. With measuring basking temps, you want to measure them with a digital thermometer with a probe, as they are the most accurate, and heat guns measure surface temps (basking temps are air temps, not surface). You'll want to hang the probe where the top of your chameleon's back will be when he/she is on his/her basking branch. It should measure 80*F there for now
oh wow!! So I went out and got one of the probe ones and i let it sit for 30 mins and the temp was at 107! Im so glad u said something. So I do have a 100 watt bulb in there right now. I think I need to bring the wattage down. should i go down to 60 or try a 75? As for the lamp mounting, the cage is literally right near the ceiling and when I was back there I really couldnt figure out a way I could clamp it, esp not far enough to make it 85 degrees in the basking area.... also that back room that its in, its an addition on to our house so its attached but not attached to the house. Hard to explain. But it has no a/c. We have a gas furnace though for the winter. So I think i'll def need to drop the wattage at least to see what temps I get with that. What do you think? I live in NY so daytime we get about 80 or cooler recently but nights are about mid 60's
Looks great! I can imagine your excitement! 🤗 Do you have a plant light to help keep your plants healthy and growing?
yes I do and thanks so much! I am so excited!

Back
Top Bottom