hydro balls??

hayleycole

has anyone used or heard of hydro balls? if so how did you set it up and what did you think about them?

I think those are more for smaller cages with no drainage and little ventilation such as a frog aquarium. I'm sure there is place to use them in certain cham setup though.

Whats you cage setup like?

My advice wasn't good enough I see ;)
I'm sayin u can use em but a screen cage with a drainage system will make u and ur cham so much happier! I promise ;)
If u don't like screen for viability replace the door screen with plexiglass. Worked for me :)

i have a glass cage for now. with plans to get a screen cage in the near future.
im guna experiment with trial and error and see what works best. im guna try hydro balls at the bottom with a repti carpet on top of them. we will see if it helps any.

i have a glass cage for now. with plans to get a screen cage in the near future.
im guna experiment with trial and error and see what works best. im guna try hydro balls at the bottom with a repti carpet on top of them. we will see if it helps any.

That's basically what I've done. I've got a zoomed 18x18x24 terrarium. And its glass except for the top and little slot under the door. I live in colorado and humidity here was a nightmare.

I have a layer of hydroballs on the bottom topped with screen. They've made humidity no issue at all. the biggest tip I can give you is wash the balls before you put them in. otherwise you'll end up with debris and sludge on the bottom :mad:

What do u have on top of the screen for substrate?
If im using the repti carpet over the balls should I still use screen between them?

How often do u have to clean the balls?

What do u have on top of the screen for substrate?
If im using the repti carpet over the balls should I still use screen between them?

How often do u have to clean the balls?
I'm going to use hydro balls and the way I'm going to do it is: place a 2" layer of hydro balls on the bottom, then put screen over the hydro balls, then put a 10-12" layer of organic soil on top of the screen. Then just add the plants :)

BTW, you don't clean the balls on any regular basis...just wash them off before you put them in your cage to get all of the dust off of them ;)

Everyone here, as well as most of the reference sources say substrate is a big no no with chams. Due to its risk of impaction if ingested. They form a sturdy enough layer that my potted plants sit on them without wobbling or anything.

As far as cleaning them, I've had them for about a week. Noticed the sludge at the bottom from not cleaning them before putting them in. So I took them out of the terrarium (which sucked) washed them all off and then put them back in. I do a big clean up of the cage every other week where I wash down the glass and sanitize it again just to prevent any potential manifesting bacteria.

Attachments

• IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_1772.jpg
    IMG_1772.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 1,372
  • IMG_1773.jpg
    IMG_1773.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 1,089
I know ur not exactly talking to me. However I used repti carpet and its working great. But I also dont have any live plants.

Back
Top Bottom