Hydration??

CrazyCalvin

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if you can give me a bit of advice on hydration? :confused:I'm slightly worried that my chameleon isnt drinking or getting enough water? i've had him for about 2 weeks now and i've only seen him drink once in front of me. (althought i'm aware that veiled chams dont drink a lot in front of people)

I mist the vivarium twice a day, is this sufficient or should i be misting more?? i did set up a dripper system with a cup and a hole in the bottom but he didnt pay it much attention and if anything it seemed to stress him out.

and finally what are the signs to be looking out for if he is dehydrated??

Your help would be fab

Try to mist him 3-5 times for around 5-10 mins a day. And signs for dehydration are sunken eyes, and the chameleon being a very dark color all the time. I hope he'll feel better :)

My veiled wont drink either ever. Prefers juicy well hydrated crickets , Lots of fresh watery Veggies, preferably mustard greens, and with the proper humidity. Seems to be doing well so far for him. If i do all that I really have no concern when I see him not drinking. I still mist for humidity and the occasional down poor shower in the cage.

The first sign your cham is not getting enough water is orange in the urate. See this thread for what normal poop should look like.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/normal-poop-43052/

Its a good idea to supplement his diet with hornworm or silkworms or both as these are great for hydration. It really helps when you have a closet drinker.
Hope this helps!

ok thatnks guys! :)

when you've never had a chameleon before it's really hard to judge whats normal behaviour, and when to panic and not to panic!! :D

i'll try to mist him more than i'm doing so at the moment :)

My veiled wont drink either ever. Prefers juicy well hydrated crickets , Lots of fresh watery Veggies, preferably mustard greens, and with the proper humidity. Seems to be doing well so far for him. If i do all that I really have no concern when I see him not drinking. I still mist for humidity and the occasional down poor shower in the cage.

with the risk of sounding stupid....and blonde...what exactly are mustard greens??? Do we refer to them as something else in the uk?? :confused:

sorry to sound so dim!!

To be honest I had no idea what mustard greens were till I got my chameleon. Just a green that is healthy for him there is all kinds of good greens veggies to feed and good to feed them to crickets too. fairly cheap Ill post a link of good green diets another member posted if I can find. I use collard greens too. Usually pick up fresh at store or in bags like lettuce. Looks like lettuce to me.

ohhh right ok, i've been gut loading my locusts rocket as of yesterday, i read some where on here that they love that?! Also give them apples and potatoes :)

Back
Top Bottom