Hydrating my cham.

NateD13

First off I wanna say thanks for all the help thus far. Truly, Thank you. So my newest question is if my lil guy is dehydrated...how do I "make" him drink? Do I have to hold him and use a dropper or just place him near the drip?

I've never had to make mine drink thankfully.

My male tends to prefer the dripper and drinks from the tip of a pothos leave. If I put his nose up to it, he is encouraged to take a drink and will also do it himself as well.

My female won't go near the dripper and only drinks by licking the leaves or sides of the viv (glass exo terra). I often give her an extra manual misting making sure the leaves around her favourite spot are wet. She'll often then take a drink.

Both have misters as well, on a timer and I also set it going manually, if I feel it's needed or for an extra long misting.

Is your cham unable to drink the normal way?

If it can still eat you can try giving hornworms. A shower session is good which is done by putting the cham on a branch and letting them get a long list in the shower. The best way for them to drinking long misting that has water dripping from leaves. How dehydrated is it?

This is all assuming yours can drink normally. If it cannot then you will need advice from people here that have manually given them water. If the cham is too hydrated you need to consider taking it to a vet so they can hydrate it.

I talked to store and the girl that takes care of the chams said he has had no issues at all...drinking or otherwise. He eats fine and he has been smashing since he got home lastnight. It appears he isnt too dehydrated. Eyes sunken a little. I just did the shower. I'm not too sure he loved it.lol but he has eaten 4 crickets since this morning. And he hate 4 when he got home. I'll put another 4 in at about 7pm. 3.5hrs from now. If he continues to appear to get worse I will def6take him in.

C
I talked to store and the girl that takes care of the chams said he has had no issues at all...drinking or otherwise. He eats fine and he has been smashing since he got home lastnight. It appears he isnt too dehydrated. Eyes sunken a little. I just did the shower. I'm not too sure he loved it.lol but he has eaten 4 crickets since this morning. And he hate 4 when he got home. I'll put another 4 in at about 7pm. 3.5hrs from now. If he continues to appear to get worse I will def6take him in.
cancel that 7pm feeding, too late in the day. Redistribute the feeders you would have given him at that time to your earlier feedings.

Yep I actually just talked to someone and they said the same so what I was gonna do was give him a cpl more now. Like 3 is it ok? Its 420 here

Not seeing your chameleon drink is not at all uncommon! They don't like to be watched. If you don't see them drink, then just monitor their urates to make sure they are a healthy white color. They will drink when you're not around. The more you insist on watching, the less likely they will be to get used to you. You definitely don't want to "make" your chameleon drink, though! You can do more harm than good that way

Yep I actually just talked to someone and they said the same so what I was gonna do was give him a cpl more now. Like 3 is it ok? Its 420 here
Yes. If a wild Cham comes across a couple crickets at sun set he’s not going to pass them up because it’s late. You could give him some at 10 tonight and he would do just fine. All were saying is don’t make it his normal routine to be eating that late every day.

Back
Top Bottom