Hybrid turtles?..

We just saw that vid this yesterday morning!
We thought it was curious how this one's shell is so much brighter—and redder—than either parent.

We just saw that vid this yesterday morning!
We thought it was curious how this one's shell is so much brighter—and redder—than either parent.
Just thinking out loud... I think what might be going on here is an example of polygenetic trait. Where the color is determined by multiple genes instead of simple monogenic traits.

Often times we see pedigrees with simple genetic mutations such as (aa) for albinism being paired with a heterozygous animal (Aa) resulting in 50% Hets and 50% albinos... At least in humans there are several genes that contribute to skin color... I believe there are 8 loci that determine skin pigmentation (AaBbCc).

So imagine (AaBbCc) paired to (AaBbCc)... there are 64 combinations... so it becomes an odds game when dealing with how light or dark a baby will be born! This is what I believe is going on here, super cool!

I can sometimes do a very simple punned square...but that's it! :(
haha yeah they take a little bit of practice, but dealing with ball pythons has helped since that community has a decent understanding of their genetics!

But then you have a bunch of species of reptiles that are mostly line bred, and their genetic codes seem a little more complex.

Beautiful turtle. I know in more aquatic turtles some breeders do make hybrids, as I’m sure it probably does happen in the wild.

I do see this more commonly with tortoises though- the most common being sulcataXleopard tortoise. It is cool to see, however I’d bet some people are less than responsible when selling and sell them as something they’re not.

Back
Top Bottom