Can someone please help TURTLES

Char333p

Avid Member
So my sister in law rescued a turtle from neglect due to a death in a family. Can someone help identify its type and basic husbandry? Or lead me to a care page. Thank you!

Attachments

• AC77E932-8371-4C7A-BCFF-C9289E97AB71.png
    AC77E932-8371-4C7A-BCFF-C9289E97AB71.png
    835 KB · Views: 43
No idea what kind of turtle that is, but I briefly had a couple of turtles a few years ago. You’ll need a big tank - for one that big a small pond would be nice. Provide water deep enough so that it can swim properly. Turtles tend to be quite dirty and keeping the water clean is a challenge. Invest in a really good canister filter system and be prepared to do partial water changes often. Provide a basking or dry ‘dock’ area. I provided the same uvb that I give my chams - not sure if it was right or not though. Can’t remember what temp I kept the basking area, but that is probably species specific anyhow. I think I had around 85-90 maybe. While I was trying to figure out what they ate, I fed turtle pellets. Then I added fresh greens and veggies and some bugs, like mealworms. I provided a turtle specific cuttle bone thing which they liked to gnaw on. I tried giving them live plants, but they ate them in a day, so I used a few plastic ones. I kept the tank bottom bare - no substrate. I only had them for a few months as they very quickly outgrew my ability to provide large enough tanks, so I took them to a rescue. They were not animals that I intentionally obtained - step daughter rescued them from a nasty situation and I ended up with them.

You are REEAALLY close. Its like deciding of spiny and oust's are not the same chameleon.

Its a Troost's. Its kinda like a yellow bellied slider and a red eared slider had a love child.
They generally hang out in states that have appalachian mountains.
I kinda figured I was wrong lol. Do you know where the OP could find accurate husbandry info for it?

No idea what kind of turtle that is, but I briefly had a couple of turtles a few years ago. You’ll need a big tank - for one that big a small pond would be nice. Provide water deep enough so that it can swim properly. Turtles tend to be quite dirty and keeping the water clean is a challenge. Invest in a really good canister filter system and be prepared to do partial water changes often. Provide a basking or dry ‘dock’ area. I provided the same uvb that I give my chams - not sure if it was right or not though. Can’t remember what temp I kept the basking area, but that is probably species specific anyhow. I think I had around 85-90 maybe. While I was trying to figure out what they ate, I fed turtle pellets. Then I added fresh greens and veggies and some bugs, like mealworms. I provided a turtle specific cuttle bone thing which they liked to gnaw on. I tried giving them live plants, but they ate them in a day, so I used a few plastic ones. I kept the tank bottom bare - no substrate. I only had them for a few months as they very quickly outgrew my ability to provide large enough tanks, so I took them to a rescue. They were not animals that I intentionally obtained - step daughter rescued them from a nasty situation and I ended up with them.
Thanks for your experience

I kinda figured I was wrong lol. Do you know where the OP could find accurate husbandry info for it?

Nope. But it is a slider, and all sliders can be housed the same way. So raise as a red eared and it will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom