Husbandry Review

PabloTheCham

Chameleon Enthusiast
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Male, Age unknown, form petco. had him for 5-6 months.
  • Handling - I handle him daily, he just walks onto my hand, never has any stress dots.
  • Feeding - I feed crickets, BSFL, and a super twice a week. I kind of slack off when it comes to gutloading though....
  • Supplements - Repticalcium Without D3 at every feeding + 3 bee pollen dusted crickets. With d3 once a month and Multivitamin once a month
  • Watering - Mistking, 1 min at 7am, 1 min 6:45pm (15 minutes before lights out), and 1min at 11pm. I turn mistking on when he is back from his freerange.
  • Fecal Description - Never tested for parasites. Hydrated urates.
  • History - He's from petco, so I should probably test for parasites....

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 24x24x48 bioactive
  • Lighting - Reptisun Linear T5 H0 (10.0), and incandescent house bulb for heat.
  • Temperature - Lowest night temp of 70 degrees. iI don't measure the temps anymore, they were pretty consistent a month and then I broke the thermometer.
  • Humidity - Humidity is 50%-60%, measured with a thermometer/Hygrometer.
  • Plants - Schefflera and Pothos
  • Placement -It is in my bedroom, with the basking spot about 6 feet high.
  • Location - Mountain View, CA

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Male, Age unknown, form petco. had him for 5-6 months.
  • Handling - I handle him daily, he just walks onto my hand, never has any stress dots.
  • Feeding - I feed crickets, BSFL, and a super twice a week. I kind of slack off when it comes to gutloading though.... Gutloading is extremely important. You will get a direct correspondence to shedding issues and even color if you are not doing it correctly.
  • Supplements - Repticalcium Without D3 at every feeding + 3 bee pollen dusted crickets. With d3 once a month and Multivitamin once a month Multi should be given 2 times a month and calcium with D3 should be given two times a month. These two are Rotated week to week.
  • Watering - Mistking, 1 min at 7am, 1 min 6:45pm (15 minutes before lights out), and 1min at 11pm. I turn mistking on when he is back from his freerange. 1 minutes is a pretty short period of time to clean eyes and trigger drinking IMO>
  • Fecal Description - Never tested for parasites. Hydrated urates.
  • History - He's from petco, so I should probably test for parasites.... Yes you should... A new cham should always be tested unless the breeder does it and tells you the fecal is clear.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 24x24x48 bioactive
  • Lighting - Reptisun Linear T5 H0 (10.0), and incandescent house bulb for heat. 10.0 is a higher uvb bulb strength. How close is the highest basking branch?
  • Temperature - Lowest night temp of 70 degrees. iI don't measure the temps anymore, they were pretty consistent a month and then I broke the thermometer. It is dangerous to not measure temps... buy a new one.
  • Humidity - Humidity is 50%-60%, measured with a thermometer/Hygrometer.
  • Plants - Schefflera and Pothos
  • Placement -It is in my bedroom, with the basking spot about 6 feet high.
  • Location - Mountain View, CA
chameleon-gutload.jpg

1 minutes is a pretty short period of time to clean eyes and trigger drinking IMO>
I turn on the mistking when he gets back from he freerange, and one hour before, it is not just at the mentioned times.
10.0 is a higher uvb bulb strength. How close is the highest basking branch?
I don't remember, but there is plenty of foliage and the bulb is positioned so he can go to it if he pleases.
It is dangerous to not measure temps... buy a new one.
Ok. Why is it dangerous not to measure temps? They have been consistent for over a month, so what could cause them to change provided I don't buy different bulbs?

I turn on the mistking when he gets back from he freerange, and one hour before, it is not just at the mentioned times.

I don't remember, but there is plenty of foliage and the bulb is positioned so he can go to it if he pleases.

Ok. Why is it dangerous not to measure temps? They have been consistent for over a month, so what could cause them to change provided I don't buy different bulbs?
LOL you crack me up...

I don't remember is not a helpful answer. I am asking about distance because he could be getting over exposure to a high UVI with the 10.0 bulb.

Temps change when the ambient temps change. Not knowing at all IMO is not responsible. Basking could climb to 95 if ambient temps climb. Just because it was fine does not mean it will be fine.

You said you mist for 1 minute... So do you or don't you. If you tell us one thing then we give feedback and all the sudden now it is something else. ???

I think commercial gutloads suck compared to all fresh veg and fruit. But if that is what your ok with doing it is better then doing nothing. Go with the repashy bug burger or superload.

LOL you crack me up...

I don't remember is not a helpful answer. I am asking about distance because he could be getting over exposure to a high UVI with the 10.0 bulb.

Temps change when the ambient temps change. Not knowing at all IMO is not responsible. Basking could climb to 95 if ambient temps climb. Just because it was fine does not mean it will be fine.

You said you mist for 1 minute... So do you or don't you. If you tell us one thing then we give feedback and all the sudden now it is something else. ???

I think commercial gutloads suck compared to all fresh veg and fruit. But if that is what your ok with doing it is better then doing nothing. Go with the repashy bug burger or superload.
No, I didn't switch stories.
I turn mistking on when he is back from his freerange.

The reason I don't know is because he spends the whole day outside. He only goes in his cage to sleep. This is why i don't know, I don't really care since he never uses the basking light. His basking light is the sun.

The reason I don't know is because he spends the whole day outside. He only goes in his cage to sleep. This is why i don't know, I don't really care since he never uses the basking light.
Ok well see this changes everything lol. Your talking about a cage and then a free range and now an outdoor enclosure. Maybe you should be looking at the outdoor enclosure as well then. Is it in full sun the entire day? No sun? lots of variables here. Does he have access to water outside? What are the temps? and on and on.

Ok well see this changes everything lol. Your talking about a cage and then a free range and now an outdoor enclosure. Maybe you should be looking at the outdoor enclosure as well then. Is it in full sun the entire day? No sun? lots of variables here. Does he have access to water outside? What are the temps? and on and on.
By outside, I meant outside his cage, sorry for the confusion. He only has one enclosure. Yes it is in the sun the entire day. It is a bridge thing that goes from window to window so the cham can move as the sun turns.

By outside, I meant outside his cage, sorry for the confusion. He only has one enclosure. Yes it is in the sun the entire day. It is a bridge thing that goes from window to window so the cham can move as the sun turns.
Ok so do you have UVB over this free range area? Because UVB does not go through glass... He may be able to warm himself but he has no access to UVB lighting.

Ok so do you have UVB over this free range area? Because UVB does not go through glass... He may be able to warm himself but he has no access to UVB lighting.
I take him outside for UVB, then take him back inside for him to just chill, since I can't watch him outside all day, dont want him escaping again :rolleyes:. For some reason he does not use his uvb in the enclosure. The enclosure is next to a window, and he just looks out the window basking, not know he is not getting any UVB, so he just ignores the UVB light. Thats why I have to take him out for UVB.

I take him outside for UVB, then take him back inside for him to just chill, since I can't watch him outside all day, dont want him escaping again :rolleyes:. For some reason he does not use his uvb in the enclosure. The enclosure is next to a window, and he just looks out the window basking, not know he is not getting any UVB, so he just ignores the UVB light. Thats why I have to take him out for UVB.
Ok now I am further confused... If he is never in his cage during the day then no he does not have access to UVB lighting. But why not mount one above the area he is free ranging in? Are you spending a few hours outside with him each day so that he gets uvb lighting.

Their husbandry involves every single aspect... from lighting, supplements, gutloading feeders, hydration, etc... Every single thing weaves together. When one is off it impacts them and how they respond. Duller colors can link right to gutload, UVB, and supplementation.

What I am saying is you can not do parts and pieces of their husbandry and expect them to be ok. It is the entire picture that has to be on point. It is like baking a cake without eggs.. Your cake is going to fail.

Ok now I am further confused... If he is never in his cage during the day then no he does not have access to UVB lighting. But why not mount one above the area he is free ranging in? Are you spending a few hours outside with him each day so that he gets uvb lighting.

Their husbandry involves every single aspect... from lighting, supplements, gutloading feeders, hydration, etc... Every single thing weaves together. When one is off it impacts them and how they respond. Duller colors can link right to gutload, UVB, and supplementation.
He goes outside for UVB.
For example today. I woke up, fed him, and brought him outside while I eat breakfast. I brought him on his indoor free range until lunch. I then took him out for an hour while I ate lunch and was on my computer. i then brought him back inside. Right now i am outside and he is on a tree next to me. This is how he gets UVB.

What I am saying is you can not do parts and pieces of their husbandry and expect them to be ok. It is the entire picture that has to be on point. It is like baking a cake without eggs.. Your cake is going to fail.
What do you mean parts and pieces? The only thing I am not doing right is gutloading?

Back
Top Bottom