Husbandry review (panther)

cruzv

Getting my first panther in a couple weeks just want to make sure everything is good with husbandry
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species: panther sex: male
  • age of your chameleon: will be 4 months.
  • How long has it been in your care?: do not have him yet
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?: will only handle after 2-4 weeks and when necessary or it feels comfortable
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?: Thinking about dubia roaches And soldier flys and larvae.
    What amount? Will be around 15 a day. What is the schedule?: feed in the mornings.
    How are you gut-loading your feeders? Will be referring to the care sheets
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?: will dust with Calcium with d3 everyday except twice a month I will rotate using calcium d3 and multivitamins. Anyone recommend bee pollen?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? I have a mistking How often and how long to you mist?: 3 times a day
    Do you see your chameleon drinking?N/A
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?N/A
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you: N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions: I have the medium tall ClearSide dragon strand cage (got damaged when I picked it up)
  • Lighting - What brand: tropic blaze
  • model: dual fixture
  • types of lighting are you using :Arcadia 12% and a grow light
  • What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hours on and off
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created(cage floor to basking spot): have not set up the basking spot but the floor is like 73-75 Lowest overnight temp? 70
  • How do you measure these temps: Laser thermometer
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels?: 58-54%
  • How are you creating and maintaining these levels: the cage helps but I also have live plants
  • What do you use to measure humidity: sensor push
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Braided hibiscus, creeping fig, pothos
  • Placement - Where is your cage located: will be moved to my room.
  • Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? A window ac unit but I will not be putting it directly in front of it.
  • At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor: around 7 ft
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Georgia

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about: None

Pictures of the cage

Attachments

• 6BFE484B-180A-4E4C-A59E-4B65B56E270E.jpeg
    6BFE484B-180A-4E4C-A59E-4B65B56E270E.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 91
  • D65DBAAC-474B-430C-95EB-A6D5B443C218.jpeg
    D65DBAAC-474B-430C-95EB-A6D5B443C218.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 69F3F43F-76CB-48E8-9DB8-D51660A6939C.jpeg
    69F3F43F-76CB-48E8-9DB8-D51660A6939C.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 85
Your enclosure looks really good the only thing I recommend is foliage on the sides. The right has the pothos but the left looks empty. It would be fine without it its just a tip. Also you're giving him way too much d3 he needs calcium without d3 except every two months

@cruzv

Hey there. I am going to go through your form. See my feedback in red bold.

Getting my first panther in a couple weeks just want to make sure everything is good with husbandry
Chameleon Info:

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?: will only handle after 2-4 weeks and when necessary or it feels comfortable
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?: Thinking about dubia roaches And soldier flys and larvae.
    What amount? Will be around 15 a day. What is the schedule?: feed in the mornings.
    How are you gut-loading your feeders? Will be referring to the care sheets.. Great... and I would consider adding other feeders in as well.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?: will dust with Calcium with d3 everyday except twice a month I will rotate using calcium d3 and multivitamins. Anyone recommend bee pollen? Your meaning calcium without D3 everyday and then rotating between multivitamin and Calcium with D3. Which supplements did you end up buying? You can get the powdered bee pollen on amazon. Even your local health food store will carry it. You want it in the powdered form.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? I have a mistking How often and how long to you mist?: 3 times a day... How long are you planning to mist for?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?N/A
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you: N/A

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions: I have the medium tall ClearSide dragon strand cage (got damaged when I picked it up)
  • types of lighting are you using :Arcadia 12% and a grow light Closest branch with this fixture and the fact that is shares a reflector should be about 8 inches... If baby is screen climbing the top panel you want to raise the fixture 3 inches off the top then have the basking about 5-6 inches below.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created(cage floor to basking spot): have not set up the basking spot but the floor is like 73-75 Lowest overnight temp? 70... Basking should be no hotter then 80 when you set it up.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels?: 58-54% great. Night time when it is cool can go up to 100%.
  • How are you creating and maintaining these levels: the cage helps but I also have live plants
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Braided hibiscus, creeping fig, pothos
  • Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? A window ac unit but I will not be putting it directly in front of it.
  • At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor: around 7 ft
Ok Per the cage... You have a dragon strand these are the best of the best! So utilize it to its full potential. Here is a tutorial on mounting branches. https://dragonstrand.com/getting-the-most-from-your-dragon-strand-dragon-ledges/ My basking is on the top right which is why there are less plants there.

You want more branches and more plants... Needs to have denser areas... This is my medium tall that I retro fitted with solid sides. But your needing it to be more full with plants. https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/medium-tall-atrium-coverted-to-solid-sides-and-back.51909/ My basking is on the top right which is why there are less plants there.

Did you do a fully bioactive bottom layer? With isopods and a drainage layer?

@cruzv

Hey there. I am going to go through your form. See my feedback in red bold.

Chameleon Info:

How are you gut-loading your feeders? Will be referring to the care sheets.. Great... and I would consider adding other feeders in as well.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?: will dust with Calcium with d3 everyday except twice a month I will rotate using calcium d3 and multivitamins. Anyone recommend bee pollen? Your meaning calcium without D3 everyday and then rotating between multivitamin and Calcium with D3. Which supplements did you end up buying? You can get the powdered bee pollen on amazon. Even your local health food store will carry it. You want it in the powdered form.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? I have a mistking How often and how long to you mist?: 3 times a day... How long are you planning to mist for?

Cage Info:

• types of lighting are you using :Arcadia 12% and a grow light Closest branch with this fixture and the fact that is shares a reflector should be about 8 inches... If baby is screen climbing the top panel you want to raise the fixture 3 inches off the top then have the basking about 5-6 inches below.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created(cage floor to basking spot): have not set up the basking spot but the floor is like 73-75 Lowest overnight temp? 70... Basking should be no hotter then 80 when you set it up.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels?: 58-54% great. Night time when it is cool can go up to 100%.
Ok Per the cage... You have a dragon strand these are the best of the best! So utilize it to its full potential. Here is a tutorial on mounting branches. https://dragonstrand.com/getting-the-most-from-your-dragon-strand-dragon-ledges/ My basking is on the top right which is why there are less plants there.

You want more branches and more plants... Needs to have denser areas... This is my medium tall that I retro fitted with solid sides. But your needing it to be more full with plants. https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/medium-tall-atrium-coverted-to-solid-sides-and-back.51909/ My basking is on the top right which is why there are less plants there.

Did you do a fully bioactive bottom layer? With isopods and a drainage layer?
What kind of supplements do you recommend? I was going to order them tomorrow.
I’m misting for 3 minutes in the morning and afternoon with A 2 minute misting around 2. Yes it is fully bio active

I talk about what supplements you need and when to use them in the video I listed above -- Definitely worth checking out.

I'd recommend the following:
1. Rep-Cal without vitamin D3
2. Rep-Cal with vitamin D3
3. Reptivite without vitamin D3

What kind of supplements do you recommend? I was going to order them tomorrow.
I’m misting for 3 minutes in the morning and afternoon with A 2 minute misting around 2. Yes it is fully bio active
I agree with @Gingero however I think it is simpler to use the Reptivite WITH D3 and skip the Rep cal with D3. So if using these products it would be rep cal without D3 at all feedings and then use Reptivite with D3 two times a month say on the 1st and the 15th.

I also am a big fan of Earthpro A by Arcadia, it has bee pollen in it. I use this as it is without D3 calcium at all feedings and then you would use the Reptivite with D3 two times a month on the 1st and the 15th.

I agree with @Gingero however I think it is simpler to use the Reptivite WITH D3 and skip the Rep cal with D3. So if using these products it would be rep cal without D3 at all feedings and then use Reptivite with D3 two times a month say on the 1st and the 15th.

I also am a big fan of Earthpro A by Arcadia, it has bee pollen in it. I use this as it is without D3 calcium at all feedings and then you would use the Reptivite with D3 two times a month on the 1st and the 15th.
I ended up getting the exoterra calcium and multi vitamin at a local reptile shop because i couldn’t get the other supplements shipped in time . Are these okay?

Attachments

• 8B9DAB19-B73E-4E87-A112-9C9C1BF73EEA.jpeg
    8B9DAB19-B73E-4E87-A112-9C9C1BF73EEA.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 58
I ended up getting the exoterra calcium and multi vitamin at a local reptile shop because i couldn’t get the other supplements shipped in time . Are these okay?
Honestly I do not prefer them... The multivitamin does not have preformed A and they add D3 to theirs. So you could keep the calcium without D3 and the Calcium with D3. But I would return the multivitamin and order Reptivite without D3. This would be the multivitamin.
You would use the calcium no d3 at all feedings except when you rotate one day a week between the calcium with D3 and the reptivite without D3. So that these two are done week to week at one feeding only in rotation.

Ise this catesheet and you will be fine

Attachments

• 2351E8C5-036D-4E4C-8FC0-FE20D833C6E0.jpeg
    2351E8C5-036D-4E4C-8FC0-FE20D833C6E0.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 70
  • C11C6F5F-1CD5-4174-AA8C-9BE3F120C2E4.jpeg
    C11C6F5F-1CD5-4174-AA8C-9BE3F120C2E4.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 00362CB7-B279-4727-A2F6-5DE1D0688E3D.jpeg
    00362CB7-B279-4727-A2F6-5DE1D0688E3D.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 57
  • D8A8F004-25B7-461B-B58C-659254C98C6B.jpeg
    D8A8F004-25B7-461B-B58C-659254C98C6B.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 57
Idk why but my local pet shop runs out of those eco terra supplements quick!!!

I guess that’s all the breeders use here in Tusa

Back
Top Bottom