Husbandry re-review, also help ?

zeuszooter

Okay to start off, I was hoping to get my husbandry re-reviewed.
  • Your Chameleon - Zeus, 3 month old male Panther chameleon, I have had him about 4 days in my care.
  • Handling - I have not handled him for the last two days to help him get adjusted to the new cage.
  • Feeding - 2-3 small crickets, waxworms and meal worms, he ate 2 small crickets yesterday, nothing today that I can see. Tried to gutload with some apples and veggies, he did not seem intrested at all. Feeding in the morning around 8 am
  • Supplements - repashy calcium with d3, reptivite. no d3 every day, d3 every other week, multivitamin alternating every other week
  • Watering - Misting and dripper. mist for 2 mins twice a day and drip 24 hours a day
  • Fecal Description - two fecal's today and yesterday
  • History - Came from a chameleon breeder, he has breed chameleons and other repitles for 6 years.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 18x18x36 in
  • Lighting - Heat light 50 watt ( I tried a 100 but seemed to get too hot) UVB light is a 10.0 (this might be my issue, I was told maybe a 5.0 would help him) on at 8am, off at 8pm
  • Temperature - will be 80 Basking and down to 70 ambient
  • Humidity - hydrometer used to measure, will be 45-50 during the day and 50-60 at night
  • Plants - I have one main natural pant that goes top to bottom of the cage (Any recommendations on plants and where to get them? Home depot?)
  • Placement - On top of a night stand, not close to windows but can get natural sunlight, about 2 feet off the ground, Close to the door but not where I walk in he can see me
  • Location - Salt lake UT
  • Now my biggest concern is he is sleeping. throughout the day. I don't know if it because he is stressed, or sick or has a parasite, I am just starting to get super worried and feel like such a bad parent!! I've been doing so much research and feel like all I've been doing it making it worse. Today when I turned on his lights he didn't open his eyes or move. I tried moving some leaves around him to make sure that might get him to move (to make sure he was alive.. that sounds so bad :(but he didn't move so I tried touching him and he moved his hand a bit. I left his lights on and went to work and came back home to check on him during lunch and he did move from his sleeping spot. Still had his eyes shut. put 2 crickets in to see if that would interest him at all, but nothing! the cricket crawled right in front of him! What!! Went back to work and came home and no movement. this was like 5 hours of him not moving. I do see more poop around the cage, it is dark though. I had to put in a make shift cricket feeder (half water bottle with some felt) and I think that stressed him out pretty bad. He is super dark right now (see attached photo compared to when I first got him) nd I just can't stop worrying that he is sick. His previous owner didn't say if he was checked for parasites.
    B4FAA082-311D-402E-9C4E-01A38A3F4A72.jpeg

Attachments

• 7C5562DF-D377-4ED1-8C08-7796C6E49C6E.jpeg
    7C5562DF-D377-4ED1-8C08-7796C6E49C6E.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 93
What does the fecal look like though?

Sleeping during day is not good, he needs immediate intervention if that is the case. Vet visit and fecal exam.

@jamest0o0 its about the size of one of his toes, and it’s a dark brown. what can i do to change to get him to not be sleeping? i’m honestly not sure what i’m doing wrong. if there is something i can try changing before seeing a vet that would be ideal but if things aren’t changing i will go this week.

If your cham is sleeping during the day for periods of time, his life could be down to hours. It'a impossible for us to know what's wrong from here, it could be a lot of things.

TBH you were probably sold a sick animal, 4 days in your care probably has nothing to do with what you've done, but where he was prior to your house.

@jamest0o0 ugh that’s what i’ve been thinking in the back of my mind :((( im gonna try changing out the uvb light to a lower and see if that’s it, other than that i can’t think of anything else to do.

@jamest0o0 ugh that’s what i’ve been thinking in the back of my mind :((( im gonna try changing out the uvb light to a lower and see if that’s it, other than that i can’t think of anything else to do.

Unfortunately that won't do much. If it was just bothering his eyes he wouldn't be in one spot with his eyes closed, and not that soon after getting him.

Back
Top Bottom