Husbandry check!!

Thehippie

Chameleon Enthusiast
okay so its been a while since ive been here and I would really appreciate if someone would review my set up as of currently!! thanks in advance for all the feedback I might get!! by the way we did deconstruct Bandits cage in order to put in some ledges but uhhhh... Corona happened and now we cant exactly go out everyday for supplies much less have time to work on the cages... My family has been going through things and with me and my dad living on our own now we need to devote our time into finding income to help with all the new changes, and keep up with house maintenance so bare with me as the cage is kind of bare right now lol... ive been going out when I have free time to find sticks to dry out in the sun so I can fill the top third of the cage but everything is a slight mess right now o_O with that here is the form!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Bandit is a 2 year old veiled chameleon who has been with me for 5 months now.
  • Handling - much more often than Apollo although not everyday he does tend to come out around every other to every 3 days. on his own terms though, I never force him out but he seems to want a lot of interaction which leads me to believe there may be something in his cage bothering him... ive checked many times for anything that may scare or deter him from being in there but he just seems to like to be out in the natural sunlight more...
  • Feeding -we are now feeding a staple of dubia roaches gut loaded with repashy bug burger and added veggies like sweet potato. we put water crystals in one dish and bug burger in another and a third with any veggies leftover from the week that are chameleon gutload approved. in addition to the dubias we feed hornworms as a treat and the occasional superworm. we usually feed every other day.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? we use zoo med calcium no d3 daily, repashy calcium with d3 twice a month, and herpavite multivitamin twice a month (alternating weeks with calcium with d3)
  • Watering - we mist 5 mins in the morning and 5 mins at night. pressure mister. I see bandit drink every time we mist, he seems to be extremely comfortable around me as long as I'm not sticking my face in his face lol. trying to get a big bowl for a dripper so I can run my dripper again haha.
  • Fecal Description - Bandit has not been tested for a fecal but I don't think we have any concern to get him tested, if he starts exhibiting odd behaviors we will take him immediately or when his check up rolls around. his fecals are nice and moist (because of the extra quarantine hornworms lol) urates are very white and poop is the color its always been, he did shat in my hand yesterday so ill attach a picture of what that looked like.
  • History - Bandit came from a pet store worker who had gotten to know us as the crazy chameleon people in town and had to rehome his chameleon and asked us if we would take him since we were the people he was most comfortable leaving bandit with.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - What are the dimensions? the standard 2x2x4 reptibreeze screen cage. although I put it on a table and now I cannot reach the top so if I need to fuss with lighting, well I have to get a ladder....
  • Lighting - lighting is the arcadia 6% linear fixture and your standard 75 watt house bulb
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? temperature gun is used to measure about 88-90 at the basking and 85-75 ambient temps going down the cage. since its been below freezing these past few days in Maryland, ive broken out the CHE again so it never drops below 60 as a night temp. currently settled at 68 the past I checked (5 mins ago lol... been watching the temp like a hawk)
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? just a regular hydrometer to measure (I want to invest in one of those smart ones I can link to my phone lol) its around 30-40% daytime and 80-100% night time. If its too dry ill run a humidifier outside my door and open the door for air flow and if it isn't too cold ill crack a window to maximize the air flow.
  • Plants - currently just one of those cane trees and 2 schefflera arboricola. still trying to get the ledges to hang some nice pothos and maybe some dracaena
  • Placement - its not located near any vents and its in my room which is pretty low traffic considering its only me and my dad in this house and I'm the only one that ever steps foot into this jungle lol. the top of the cage is probably 7 or 8 feet from the floor meaning if he climbs to the top lord only knows ill have to stand on my bed to see him haha.
  • Location - Maryland which by the way is completely frozen right now... its 65 in the day and low 30s at night... talk about mood swings :ROFLMAO:
Pics coming below!!

Here's the enclosure first
0509201844a.jpg

Here's the fecal bandit dropped in my hand...
0509201721a.jpg

Everything sounds and looks good to me, except you really need to add some branches. Especially a bit higher so he has more basking options. You may need to lower the wattage of your basking bulb then so he doesn’t cook. :)

What is the repashy calcium with d3 you are using?

is it the calcium plus? Or calcium plus loD?

if it’s eaither of those they both have vitamins in them as well so you don’t really need to use the herptivite if this is the case.

Everything sounds and looks good to me, except you really need to add some branches. Especially a bit higher so he has more basking options. You may need to lower the wattage of your basking bulb then so he doesn’t cook. :)
Yeah the only reason I had to get a higher power bulb is because I'm temporarily out of branches to put in there, I think I'll go cut down that tree growing by my house, it's gotta come down before it destroys the foundation.... Haha so I'll be drying and putting in those branches, hopefully not more than two weeks to wait... Lol trying to find a way to hang the heat bulb tho, I've got no idea how too but I don't want him to burn his hands or anything like that. Should I hang the uvb too?

What is the repashy calcium with d3 you are using

is it the calcium plus? Or calcium plus loD?

if it’s eaither of those they both have vitamins in them as well so you don’t really need to use the herptivite if this is the case.
Calcium plus, i never knew that! Haha I'll just have to stop using the herptivite lol just realized I spelled herptivite wrong :ROFLMAO: 2:30 am does things to you, I was so sure it was called herpavite but I just looked at it... Oops!

Calcium plus, i never knew that! Haha I'll just have to stop using the herptivite lol just realized I spelled herptivite wrong :ROFLMAO: 2:30 am does things to you, I was so sure it was called herpavite but I just looked at it... Oops!

lol I didn’t even Notice you spelled it wrong.

ya that’s what the plus is in the calcium plus.

calcium + multivitamins.

Yeah the only reason I had to get a higher power bulb is because I'm temporarily out of branches to put in there, I think I'll go cut down that tree growing by my house, it's gotta come down before it destroys the foundation.... Haha so I'll be drying and putting in those branches, hopefully not more than two weeks to wait... Lol trying to find a way to hang the heat bulb tho, I've got no idea how too but I don't want him to burn his hands or anything like that. Should I hang the uvb too?
I just have my uvb, basking and plant bulbs on top of the screen. My girls aren’t screen climbers, so no worry about burns. There are lamp stand bracket things (or whatever you want to call them) that you can attach to your enclosure.

I just have my uvb, basking and plant bulbs on top of the screen. My girls aren’t screen climbers, so no worry about burns. There are lamp stand bracket things (or whatever you want to call them) that you can attach to your enclosure.
Yeah, I think I'll do a lamp stand for the heat bulb but leave the uvb. I'm planning to get the branches all the way up to the top so he has maximum climbing room haha, I just feel so bad about having took his cage apart mid March and then have everything hit without warning!! Gonna hopefully plan to cut that tree down this weekend!

More branches up top. I’m assuming your not measuring the UVB he’s currently getting but it’s probably not enough with the 6% and branches not being higher up. Here’s what I’m using for temp/humidity measurements. Just search Govee in the forums for more info as we had a more in depth discussion on another thread.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R586J37/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OPyUEbHHZN30N
Well,as stated previously, I'm trying my best to get more branches in there with the time I have, I've been looking into getting a solarmeter but haven't had the time to get one since this thing started. Thanks for the temp/humidity gauge suggestions! Seems like a good idea to have it linked to my phone to be able to monitor everything I need to. Us there a solarmeter brand you'd recommend?

Well,as stated previously, I'm trying my best to get more branches in there with the time I have, I've been looking into getting a solarmeter but haven't had the time to get one since this thing started. Thanks for the temp/humidity gauge suggestions! Seems like a good idea to have it linked to my phone to be able to monitor everything I need to. Us there a solarmeter brand you'd recommend?
I think most people use Solarmeter brand. I think the 6.5 is recommended, but I haven’t got one yet myself.

Back
Top Bottom