Hurricane Irma!!

Plastic shoeboxes with a light towel or cloth wrinkled up inside for the cham to hold on to. Nothing cheaper or easier to use.

You can't stack pillowcases for examples, simple plastic shoeboxes you can, just drill a few holes in the lid. This isn't about giving them a living space, its about getting them out.

Before any of my fellow loving keepers freak out remember this, these animal got shipped across oceans in shitty conditions and still survived. They will survive if you put them in a simple plastic shoebox for the next few days. Water as needed, feed very little.

If you guys are able to be shipped to where you are going and need feeders I am able to supply to emergency situations. I have been holding some back. Not tons but enough to see around 10 adult male chameleons through 3 weeks. And of course new babies are being born all the time. Good luck and be safe <3
That is so generous and thoughtful of you!

That is so generous and thoughtful of you!

I could not imagine the amount of terror being low on possible safe feeders could cause. I know the hurricanes screw up insect life as well so find wild caught insects is hard. I know a lot of pet stores are affected for weeks to months afterward. The hard thing is there is not relief efforts going to reptile keepers like there are for dogs and cats etc.

I could not imagine the amount of terror being low on possible safe feeders could cause. I know the hurricanes screw up insect life as well so find wild caught insects is hard. I know a lot of pet stores are affected for weeks to months afterward. The hard thing is there is not relief efforts going to reptile keepers like there are for dogs and cats etc.

1- a healthy cham can easily go without food for a good week (longer will kill the keeper)

2- Guys like Nick Barta will find a way to get your order to you, Mulberry farms is solid too

3- Don't forget the oldest trick in the book to catch some flies, leave a small piece of uncooked meat outside. No matter the storm...flies will always survive.

Yes they can go longer for a week, but two weeks in my opinion is pushing it, and Harvey is already pushing the week mark now, and isn't letting up much in the sign of allow shipping through. I feel Nick would ship for sure, I am not sure about Mulberry farms, I would hope they would as well. I know a few of the larger providers would if they could in a heart beat. Currently I am looking at nearby hubs if people can get to them to ship to. or maybe shipping to people who are going down with pet relief supplies that I know of and see if they could take some of my supers.

3. I would love to know HOW much insect life is affected, honestly, just so we could know for future hurricanes and know what kind of to put out to attract what species, so in case people are getting super low and the hurricane and hitting pretty close to two weeks. These incidents is why I ALWAYS recommend raising at least one to two of your own feeder colonies. There are natural disasters every where and also temperamental regular weather. Always good to be prepared just in case.

Yes they can go longer for a week, but two weeks in my opinion is pushing it, and Harvey is already pushing the week mark now, and isn't letting up much in the sign of allow shipping through. I feel Nick would ship for sure, I am not sure about Mulberry farms, I would hope they would as well. I know a few of the larger providers would if they could in a heart beat. Currently I am looking at nearby hubs if people can get to them to ship to. or maybe shipping to people who are going down with pet relief supplies that I know of and see if they could take some of my supers.

3. I would love to know HOW much insect life is affected, honestly, just so we could know for future hurricanes and know what kind of to put out to attract what species, so in case people are getting super low and the hurricane and hitting pretty close to two weeks. These incidents is why I ALWAYS recommend raising at least one to two of your own feeder colonies. There are natural disasters every where and also temperamental regular weather. Always good to be prepared just in case.

Like I mentioned, more than a week without the cham being fed and it kills the keeper. Not the cham. Most Cham keepers stress out while the cham just wonders 'wtf is up my owner?'

Everything in FL will be closed Sat-Mon...when uncle Micky decides to close his doors you know its serious. Now as of today uncle Micky said they will reopen on Tues. If that logic holds true then Fed Ex and other shippers will also be attempting to conduct business meaning insect can be shipped.

Also all the resort hotels are staying open to shelter guests, if anybody is in a bind you might be able to hunker down there until the storm passes. Uncle Mickey builds hotels designed to withstand a Death Star.....

Ok, so I got asked a dumb question about if Chams can survive this hurricane. Yes, dumb questions get dumb answers, and answered in public!

No. The little angry lizards will most likely not survive. Short answer.

Long answer. If you release them into a huge sturdy tree you might as well just tie yourself to that tree. That way you can keep an eye on the lizard during the storm.

To all the sane keepers, hang in there. Evacuate with your critters. There are many simple, inexpensive, ways to pull it off. For more information you can hit up one of our sponsors, Dragon Strand cages, and Bill can give you a ton of little tips too.

Back
Top Bottom