Hurricane Dorian

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
So Florida is once again being threatened with a substantial hurricane. While I think I’m probably a pro by now preparing for these things, I haven’t had to prepare for chameleons before. Just want to make sure I’m not forgetting anything. I’ve got plenty of feeders and gut load, lots of water and cleaned the enclosures yesterday. Can anyone think of anything else I may need for them? I’m expecting to lose power possibly for a few days at least. The windows will be boarded and so my girls will be in the dark and house will be super hot and humid. They hate being handled, but once the storm passes should I try to take them outside for a bit for light and maybe sun? Any and all advice is very welcomed.

if air temps will be over 95 for an extended time you will be in trouble. Darkness is no problem, they will just sleep.

You may want to rig up some bug out sacks/totes or whatever just incase.
jannb bugs out often, so you can check out some of her travels.

I would supplement CA with d3 the days they don't have their Uv lights . but I know they also need Uv to help digest their food so you would need to figure out a way to get them some heat as well as some uv .

Ok, so adding pop up screen hampers to my shopping list and maybe can get another rechargeable fan or two for them if it gets too stifling. My vet tweaked their supplement schedule - giving all Repashy brand - super cal (no D) daily and the calcium with lo D alternating with supervite every other week. Should I use the cal with lo d while uvb is down?

Ok, so adding pop up screen hampers to my shopping list and maybe can get another rechargeable fan or two for them if it gets too stifling. My vet tweaked their supplement schedule - giving all Repashy brand - super cal (no D) daily and the calcium with lo D alternating with supervite every other week. Should I use the cal with lo d while uvb is down?

It would take weeks and weeks to have any lack of D3 issues. Unless they are babies and you will be indoors for over a week with no light, i would not adjust your sched.

We had ahurricane Hazel in the mid 50's and that's the only bad one I know of. We've had some really crippling snowstorms though....snow up to your waist and that's not the piles on the side of the driveway which were so tall we couldn't throw it any higher.

Hope everyone survives the hurricane in Florida without any serious problems.

@MissSkittles I am just south of you. When Irma came through 2 yrs ago it was partly cloudy and windy the next morning. If you put them outside just keep in mind the wind. It won’t be as strong of course...this is my first hurricane with a Cham as well but he is kept outside so he’s use to the elements. But I will be bringing him inside or bugging out with him. I have a hamper as well for emergency situations like this.

I picked up a Goal Zero Yeti generator from REI used and cheap. Its solar powered so I can recharge on the road and it doesnt have fumes so it can be used inside. I like it so much we found a second! Just sharing in case a generator is a consideration.

I picked up a Goal Zero Yeti generator from REI used and cheap. Its solar powered so I can recharge on the road and it doesnt have fumes so it can be used inside. I like it so much we found a second! Just sharing in case a generator is a consideration.
What is REI? It’s probably way too late in the game to find a generator I can afford anywhere, but would like to get one.

@MissSkittles I am just south of you. When Irma came through 2 yrs ago it was partly cloudy and windy the next morning. If you put them outside just keep in mind the wind. It won’t be as strong of course...this is my first hurricane with a Cham as well but he is kept outside so he’s use to the elements. But I will be bringing him inside or bugging out with him. I have a hamper as well for emergency situations like this.
If I take them outside, it would just be for a short time and I’d stay to watch over them. My stepdaughter has decided to stay at my house during the storm so maybe she and I can uncover the window to the cham room after. Just praying we don’t get hit hard and everyone stays safe.

If I take them outside, it would just be for a short time and I’d stay to watch over them. My stepdaughter has decided to stay at my house during the storm so maybe she and I can uncover the window to the cham room after. Just praying we don’t get hit hard and everyone stays safe.
That is a good idea!

Back
Top Bottom