Hunter the blue bar ambilobe

graydon

Whats up. Just purchased one of hunters sons from mike at fl chams. Just wanted to know if I need to buy a basking bulb and a uvb bulb if im keeping him out side. The back yard is completley fenced off so there wont be random critters wandering. I will be either making a steel or mesh cage for him but I was also considering buying a cage. My only concern with buying a cage from lllreptile is a possible rodent trying to get into the cage.

Im really leaning towards building a steel/mesh cash with complete drainage system. I have a band saw, table saw, lathe, belt sander and drill press so I think I have the tools to build a sufficient rodent proof cage.

My main concern was the lighting for him because I dont want him to bake out here in the hot florida sun. Its been around 90 these past few days with tons of humidity so I think its prime time for a panther outside. Of course during the winter it can get down in the 50's/high 40's.

Lmk what you guys think. thanks - graydon

When he is outside and can reach the sunbeams, there is no need of uv tube. But make sure that there is also place to hide when he doesn't wanna be in the sun.
By the time you put him home, you gotta buy uv tube.

he wont be exposed to direct sunlight till around 3-9 pm... he will be under the overhang of the house so when the sun rises it will not be shining on him. My question is do I need uvb and basking? my guess would be some sort of light uvb but im not real sure. Like I said the temps get up to around 90+ where I am in Largo FL.

Any other opinions would be great

Howdy neigbor-I am down the road in Safety Harbor. How old is the chameleon you are getting? You won't be able to start a baby oitside this time of year here. Way too hot and humid. I do keep a Panther outside here, on my pool deck under the overhang of the house in a well planted cage-but he is a wild caught adult.
As for rats-yes they are a problem. I have recently have them eat into the soft mesh of Reptariums resulting in the escape of my water dragon and luckily my male Oustalet did not notice the hole that was plenty big enough for him to make a break for it to! They were after the roaches in the cage as I had found roaches chewed up all over the place. They have also eaten into my cricket bin from the mesh. They have not attempted to eat into the aluminum cages-they are made from a stiffer wire. I am sure they could though if they wanted to. Rats can eat through metal. You have to use aluminum or other screening will rust with all the watering.

Hey Juli, I tried calling you a few times yesterday but your phone must have been down. I wanted to talk to you about your nosy be's you have. The ambilobe i bought is 5 months old.. you are saying he is to young to start outside even with a serious mist system and with a lot of watering? I really need to know if he will need uvb and a basking bulb while he is outside. My gut instinct says know but I need some more opinions.

Juli, if you could call me whenever you are free I would love to talk to you about the chams you have.

edit: and with the tools and rat traps I have, I dont think I will have a problem with rodents getting into the cage. Its gonna be a well protected cage from any kind of potential predator

Def won't need a basking lamp in the current Florida Heat/Humidity. I am a little farther up the coast then you, and it is 90 degrees with 100% humidity here right now.

At 5 months he needs to be inside. The Panthers I have kept in the past here in Florida did not spend their entire days outside until October. I would however take them outside for a couple hours a day. I would use a couple of large Ficus trees and allow them to soak up all their UVB in the great Florida sun.

Hey Juli, I tried calling you a few times yesterday but your phone must have been down. I wanted to talk to you about your nosy be's you have. The ambilobe i bought is 5 months old.. you are saying he is to young to start outside even with a serious mist system and with a lot of watering? I really need to know if he will need uvb and a basking bulb while he is outside. My gut instinct says know but I need some more opinions.

Juli, if you could call me whenever you are free I would love to talk to you about the chams you have.

edit: and with the tools and rat traps I have, I dont think I will have a problem with rodents getting into the cage. Its gonna be a well protected cage from any kind of potential predator

Graydon-I promise I will call! Running to work...just crazy busy...:)

thanks for the call Juli. I noticed that the spot I will be putting him in is under complete shade almost the whole day. can the cham still get uvb without direct sunlight?

also can a 5 month old male fit in a 2x2x2 cage? Its only for a few days.

thanks for the call Juli. I noticed that the spot I will be putting him in is under complete shade almost the whole day. can the cham still get uvb without direct sunlight?

also can a 5 month old male fit in a 2x2x2 cage? Its only for a few days.

Just like a human they will absorb UVB even if it is overcast outside. As long as there is not a physical barrier between the sun and cage UVB will be absorbed.

thanks for the input guys. Ill keep you guys updated with how mitch is doing. Shout out to mike at flchams for hooking it up big time!

one more question. are these the supplements I need?

Rep-Cal Herptivite HERPTIVITEMULTIVITS 1
Multivtamins w/Calcium
3.2 oz

Rep-Cal Calcium w/Vit D3- CALCIUM 1
Phosphorous Free -
ORIGINAL FORMULA 5.2 oz

I need a repcal calcium without d3 too right?

one more question. are these the supplements I need?

Rep-Cal Herptivite HERPTIVITEMULTIVITS 1
Multivtamins w/Calcium
3.2 oz

Rep-Cal Calcium w/Vit D3- CALCIUM 1
Phosphorous Free -
ORIGINAL FORMULA 5.2 oz

I need a repcal calcium without d3 too right?

You need one more plain calcium with no D3 which you will use the most. If your panther is young you will dust with plain calcium at just about every feeding. Calcium with D3 twice a month and the mulit vit. only once a month.

You got an Ambilobe from Hunter? Nice! I'll be picking up one of your cham's siblings from Mike within the next week or so, as soon as my stuff arrives from lllreptile.

Please post some pics ;).

I finally found some calcium without d3.. Anyways my cham comes tom and I cant wait. The only thing im concerned about is my current cage i tnink is only 2x2x2? He wont be staying in that cage for to long probly just a few days.. but do you guys think he will be ok? I thought it might be to small..

Best looking ambilobe Ive ever seen. At 5 months he is showing electric blue, green, yellow, and hints of red. He's about to shed so I will get some pics up after.

inside. The pics were when I first brought him home, got the uvb and heat lamp that day and put him in. I've been bringing him outside for an hour or so each day on a large scheffera in partial shade, but he seems to not like it much recently and after a short time he'll attempt to leave the plant.

Back
Top Bottom