hungry velid

gillmanboy

i have a year old male veild for about 2 months now was told to feed him 6 -8 large locust every other day been doing this but he always seems to be looking for more. i have recently been hand feeding him and now when ever my hand is in the cage he trys to go for food when got none in my hand he has actually got my hand with his tounge, just need advice to see if i should up his food intake or is this just normal behaviour

It seems like since you hand-fed him, he's now associating your hand with food, which I know does happen with animals. So I'm not sure if he's looking for more food as much as he's just thinking that you're feeding him when he sees your hand in the cage.

IMG_0189.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg
IMG_0281.jpg

the breeder of my chameleon told me that you can't really "over-feed" veileds, so I think it's safe to assume as long as he's eating at least 7 - 8 per day, even if you go over that amount, it's fine.

He's a big boy, nice casque :) He doesn't really need any more food than he's getting, but a bit of variety would be good. I wish I could get my guy to eat so much, what are your temps like?

his basking spot is 92 with a drop to 75 at night, he has a veried diet locust are his main food source with some crickets and the occasional wax worm for a treat. i have been trying to give him some veg as well with no luck untill today at last lol had to offer it to him as if live food and he took it straight away. the bottom pic was took today his yellow was really bright first time ive noticed it on his casque.

Mine don't seem to like the idea of fruit and veg either, except strawberries :).
So you've got night time heating........... I've been as low as 60 occasionally during winter, probably why mines not eating so much.

I have a female that we keep about 85 basking and down to 62-65 a night in the winter (we're in northern nj) and she will honestly eat 10-15 med to large crickets daily if we let her and be looking for more.

Wow what a beautiful young Veiled. That's the only other one that I've seen with a casque that's shaped like that other than mine. He looks awesome ;)

Back
Top Bottom