Hunger Strikes

BunnyGirl

Hello,
My cham hasen't eaten almost anything since I get him the beginning of March. His tail is looking thin, How long have your Panthers gone on hungar strikes?

hello, it might help if you got some pics here. also do you cup feed or free range? and what are the dimensions of your cage (LxWxH) what type of lighting and what are your feeders? and what method of watering do you use. As well as how old your cham is approx.:) Answer these questions and we might be able to help ya out more.
~John

I free range all food, 30"Lx12"Wx23"H is cage size, He is a 7 month Ambanja Panther, I (try to) feed silkworms, crickets, Hornworms and a few waxworms once. I currently have a 10.0 UVB light and a basking light. I use both misting 2x a day and drip method all day. I think he is shedding now, just started yesterday. I will get pictures later not home right now

well i don't know too much about panthers but i do know that when my cham is about to shed he goes on a little hunger strike which he is doing now. but you said he's been doing this for a while since you got him? how long have you had him/her. . .oh and they also tend to slow down on eating when they get older so don't freak. have you been noticeing his amount of food intake (approx. how many) as long as he is eating, but his tail thining is a little worrysome. Do you gutload your feeders?

Last edited:
If it's almost been a month, you might want to take him to a vet. Several people on here have said that while hunger strikes are typical for chameleons, more than four weeks without food is too long. My chameleon typically strikes for a week or two, but thats as long as I've seen him go.

Have you tried cup-feeding? This is not only a good way for your chameleon to know where his food is at all times, but also to monitor how much he's eating. The best place to put a food cup is near his basking light, or a place that he normally resides in.

Good luck!

I free range all food, 30"Lx12"Wx23"H is cage size, He is a 7 month Ambanja Panther, I (try to) feed silkworms, crickets, Hornworms and a few waxworms once. I currently have a 10.0 UVB light and a basking light. I use both misting 2x a day and drip method all day. I think he is shedding now, just started yesterday. I will get pictures later not home right now

What kind of 10.0 lamps? Where does your cham spend most of its time?

I had a 3.5 month old ambanja go off food because of the 10.0 compact lamp I was using. He wasn't eating because he couldn't see.

Maybe CFL's will get better but I don't trust them at all.

Read up here at the UV Guide to learn more.

IMG_9379.jpg

IMG_9381.jpg

At this age your cham should be eating on a regular basis.

summoner12: I am on the hunt for a strip light, The petco in my area is going out and all their lights were gone before I could get there (it's about a 45 minute drive to another pet store) I am also going to an expo in two weeks.

I did try cup feeding, but He didn't take well to it. I will try agian (doing both cup and free range) I changed his cage since I last cup fed.
I have included some pictures of him and his cage. He is in full shed in the photos as you can tell. Is shedding a good sign or do they do it no matter what?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 197
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 146
summoner12: I am on the hunt for a strip light, The petco in my area is going out and all their lights were gone before I could get there (it's about a 45 minute drive to another pet store) I am also going to an expo in two weeks.

I did try cup feeding, but He didn't take well to it. I will try agian (doing both cup and free range) I changed his cage since I last cup fed.
I have included some pictures of him and his cage. He is in full shed in the photos as you can tell. Is shedding a good sign or do they do it no matter what?

So what kind of lamp are you using? I am assuming you are using one of the thumb down lamps? If you are, turn it off.

His skin looks burned or he is very unhappy. What kind of heat lamp are you using? He also looks malnourished. I would agitate him like you did in the picture and drop a silk worm into his mouth. He needs to eat.

As for the over all setup I think you need to make a lot of changes.

But first you need to get this guy eating.

Edit: you need to change out those plants for a ficus or pothos or scheflera. You should make sure there are no small rocks he could eat. If he already ate one he might be impacted. The sticks in the cage are also too big for his little feet. What are the temps in the cage?

Branches of varying thicknesses are a good idea - you might like to add one or two additional branches.

A month without eating is a long time, and I'd take it to the vet if I were you.
I get concerned if a hunger strikes goes over a week, though they certainly can go two weeks even three. I havent had one hunger strike since I started changing the prey offered such that the same thing isnt offered more than twice in a row.

If you're using a CFL, turn if off. It might not be the cause of the issue, but its not worth the risk. Linear tube bulbs can be found on the internet if you dont have a ready supply nearby.

Is it drinking well? What are the temperatures in the cage? Insufficient water and low temp can reduce eating.

I will turn off the light, but i am afraid that tha cage will then be to dark? I put a bowl near his basking area, to see if he will eat out of that. If he goes another day without eating I will force feed him. He is not burned, he was basking so he was brown. When he fires up he a blue, and green. When he sleeps he turns much light, almost white. Boston ferns are on the okay list for plants, those are just for humidity, I have hanging plant that I took out for photos (it's hard to manuver around.) He is drinking well, I see him drink daily. So eveyone agrees he looks too thin right? his temps are not low 90ish basking, about 70's ambient. At the Expo I am going to in two weeks I am getting him a screen cage.
How do you go about force feeding? What if he spits the food right back out?
I was about to order my light, and found out that they do not carry just a plain old strip light fixture The only one I can find that is a fixture is the Zilla Tropical Series Low Profile T5 Fixture 20", will this work has anyone used it?

Last edited:
Hello All,
I just got back from the vet, He said nothing was wrong, He looked okay, a little thin and smaller than he should be at his age. He told me to get a screen cage, and a strip UVB light, and get myslef and him into a routine, and he should be fine. He checked everything out, mouth, bones ETC, there was nothing physically wrong.

Back
Top Bottom