Hunger Strike, any suggestions?

lojack13

My male Nosy Be Panther is about 1 year and 10 months old. He was eating every other day about 4 crickets, but over the past month he has slowly tapered down on his feeding. I haven't been able to get him to eat a cricket in probably 2 weeks, but he has been taking butterworms now and again. He was eating 1 butterworm about every other day but I have not gotten him to eat anything in a week now. In fact I offered him food this morning and he gaped at me, something he hardly ever does. He has been very active in his cage and he is drinking. No basking at all, which I guess would be expected since he is not eating. He has been doing UVB basking pretty regularly. I have raised him since he was 3 months old and have had minimal problems ( just one eye infection ). Does anybody have suggestions to get him to eat? Or is it something I need to wait out? I know they can go quite awhile without eating but it freaks me out regardless. I have offered him roaches, butterworms, and crickets lately but he wants none of them in the last week. I did take note that he acted like he wanted out of his cage today ( this is out of character ) he climbed up his open cage door while I was trying to feed him and walked across the top of it. I have been trying to get him to free range so I went ahead and placed him in a large, fake tree I have in the corner. He climbed into the top and chilled for a few hours before I returned him to his cage. Just curious if this might indicate that he is seeking a mate? I would have figured he had reached sexual maturity awhile back. Maybe he is predisposed with prowling around due to his hormones? Not sure. He looks healthy, no sunken eyes or lethargic behavior. I know this is a common problem was just hoping I would not ever have to deal with it. Wishful thinking. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Sounds like maybe the vast majority of what you offer him on a regular basis is crickets or butterworms? If that's the case, he could just be bored with his food. I would suggest trying one of the other worms. My guys go crazy for superworms and silkworms. Maybe one of those would get him eating again? Also, make sure he's well hydrated. Dehydration can cause them to lose the appetite as well. Good luck!

Sounds like maybe the vast majority of what you offer him on a regular basis is crickets or butterworms? If that's the case, he could just be bored with his food. I would suggest trying one of the other worms. My guys go crazy for superworms and silkworms. Maybe one of those would get him eating again? Also, make sure he's well hydrated. Dehydration can cause them to lose the appetite as well. Good luck!

Yeah I have been told it's typically food boredom. I'll go and grab some super-worms today and see if that entices him. Anything else I will have to order unfortunately. My female has the opposite problem right now, she is a pig! Everytime I open her cage door she starts sticking her tongue out expecting me to have something for her! :) I will step up misting though just in case he might be a little dehydrated.
Thanks!

Check your basking temps and look for a basking branch that may have slipped down. Also be sure the basking bulb is not burned out.

These are all common sources of a Cham not being able to digest food, and they the. Stop eating.

You probably covered all of these, but thought it good to have you double check.

Nick

Back
Top Bottom