Humidity ???

bleudolphin

I have a panther and a Jackson. I have had them for about 4 days. I have managed to get the temp good. But am having trouble getting the humidity. Do I need to keep the humidity at a constant 70% or should there be a fluctuation? I have both of my cages next to each other. I put up some plastic on one side to try to help maintain. I do have a mister and I try to mist 3-4 time a day for 5 min. I work 12 hour days so I can't mist on my work days. I need some suggestions to help maintain. Here is a pic of one of my set ups. They are both the same. Sorry the pic is not very good. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• panther set up 1.jpg
    panther set up 1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 93
yes, they are screened all the way around. For my panther basking is around 90 with cool areas around 72. For my Jackson basking around 85 with cool areas around 70. Cage size is 18x18x24. I hope these temps are good. I keep finding conflicting information on what they should be.

i would say if you could keep it at least 50% you should be ok. are you hand misting or have a mist system on a timer?

I have a mister, but is mists every hour for a min. Not the greatest. So I have been hand misting. I manage to get the humidity around 60% after I mist. But within mins it starts going down again.

It really should be fine. You don't need it to be constantly high. Live plants and misting works out just fine unless your house is just extremely dry.
For an adult Jackson you really need a cage 36" or taller, for a young Panther 24" is OK for now, but will quickly outgrow it. Did I see a waterfall in one of the cages?

is your enclosure in an open space? i keep mine on an old book shelf, and it seems to some what help keep in the humidity a little bit. i have my mister go 2 minutes every 2 hours, and mine is always at least 50%. well anyways if your at 60% i wouldnt be worried. just mist a little more when they are shedding to help in the process. anyways good luck

Yes, when I got them they told me that it would be best to have them to help with the humidity. Is that not a good idea?

I guess I will have to get them out of there. I will look for a plant to put in its place. any suggestions on a good plant to use?

I got them from a exotic pet store in Portland Oregon. I thought that seeing as they said that they had been in business for 30 years that they would know something. They had the Jackson in a very small screen cage and told me that 24" tall would be big enough. If I would have known that it should have been bigger it would not have been a problem. How big can I expect my panther to get? Do they grow fast? I was told that they will walk faster then they will grow. Can you suggest a good book, I got one but I am finding out that most of the information seems to be very different then what I am finding on the web.

I will go and get me a pothos. I keep hearing that you need a safe soil. What would that be? I know that I need to wash down the leaves. Is there anything else that I need to do before I put them in there cages?

strange that good experts would tell you to buy a waterfall, but i guess what they can do to get a little more business. chameleons do grow pretty fast. i dont know about the jackson but i think panthers get 24+ inches. im not 100% maybe 80, lol. just google it and youll find it quick. sorry couldnt be of much help, but good luck with your too little guys, and post some pictures:D

Thanks for all your help. It was very usefull. Here are pic of both of them. Not sure of there ages. They thought the panther was 3 months and did not know the age of the Jackson, they said that he was an adult.

Attachments

• Jackson 1.jpg
    Jackson 1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 73
  • panther 1.jpg
    panther 1.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 79
yeah the pothos are great and grow fast. you can just connect the vines are wrap them around other branches to create your little highway. i would just ask for a soil that has no fertilizes or other strange chemicals in it. anyways your panther will be a looker when he starts getting bigger. your jackson also looks nice too. good luck with that tomorrow or whenever your going to get your pothos. have a good night i think i need some sleep, lol

This is the best place I have found for info-just ask away! Pet stores rarely know much about chameleons. Jacksons is an adult and panther's age looks right. Is panther male or female? Wash plants with dish soap and rinse well. Organic pesticide free soil is good. 18X18X36 would be the minimum I would go for either of them. Panther should be OK for now-but in a few months he will outgrow the current cage. They grow at different rates, but if well fed and healthy will more than double size in 3 months.

I don't know if the panther is male or female. I know that there are ways to tell but I am to new to be able to tell. My panther is a very good eater. He has been eating about 20+ med. crickets a day. I hope that is not to many. He always seems to be looking for food.

Back
Top Bottom