Humidity

YoshiiChameleon

Hey guys! I just recently posted about my veiled chameleon, who is definitely a female, not a male .

I just have some questions about humidity. I live in Alaska, a very remote “island” in Alaska. I’m close to a town that has supplies for chams. Since i don’t always get over there since you have to take a plane($80) or a boat($60).

So I was wondering if i should order a humidifier? I don’t know if those work that well or not so i came here to ask for better information on it. Or what you guys would recommend for people that live in cold climates like me. Right now her humidity is around the 30s which worries me since it’s suppose to be in the 50s, I heard.

I do have a mister and a good amount of plants in her enclosure (hopefully getting some pothos when i go back over to town) and I believe that is helping with the humidity. I just want to get it a little higher.
Thanks

What kind of cage do you have? Screen cages are really bad at keeping humidity up so I've wrapped three sides of my enclousure with vinyl table cloth. That helps maintain the humidity after mistings. I used to have a humidifier on top of the cage and it worked great. They just tend to break easily from what I've experienced and heard from others.

So for a Veiled daytime humidity that you are looking for is a 30-50% range. 50% is on the higher side for daytime. So the fact that you are in the 30% for a daytime range is actually good. Where you need to up it is at night. You can do this by hooking a cool mist humidifier to her cage and run it from like 1am-4am. This will give the boost. You do not have to worry if it spikes to 80 at night. You never want to run a humidifier with the lights on in a cage. It creates hot moist air that can lead to a Respiratory infection.
As mentioned if you are wanting to try to get a slight bump for daytime you can wrap the back and side or back and sides of the cage with a shower curtain. Just recheck your levels to make sure it does not get too high during the day. You will also want to recheck your temps if you do this because it will contain more heat elevating the temperatures.
Misting can be great just make sure that the cage is drying out completely between each misting.

What kind of cage do you have? Screen cages are really bad at keeping humidity up so I've wrapped three sides of my enclousure with vinyl table cloth. That helps maintain the humidity after mistings. I used to have a humidifier on top of the cage and it worked great. They just tend to break easily from what I've experienced and heard from others.
I have a screen cage, that’s why i was worried about the humidity. I have it wrapped with a shower curtain on the sides and back.

So for a Veiled daytime humidity that you are looking for is a 30-50% range. 50% is on the higher side for daytime. So the fact that you are in the 30% for a daytime range is actually good. Where you need to up it is at night. You can do this by hooking a cool mist humidifier to her cage and run it from like 1am-4am. This will give the boost. You do not have to worry if it spikes to 80 at night. You never want to run a humidifier with the lights on in a cage. It creates hot moist air that can lead to a Respiratory infection.
As mentioned if you are wanting to try to get a slight bump for daytime you can wrap the back and side or back and sides of the cage with a shower curtain. Just recheck your levels to make sure it does not get too high during the day. You will also want to recheck your temps if you do this because it will contain more heat elevating the temperatures.
Misting can be great just make sure that the cage is drying out completely between each misting.
I have an automatic mister set up to when I leave the house but Other than that I mist on my own and I wait for the cage to be completely dry. I do have the cage wrapped but I only just found out about wrapping the cage so it hasn’t been on there long. I have my humidity gauge coming in the mail very soon since my other one broke, sadly. Thanks a ton for all the information definitely helps!

Back
Top Bottom