Humidity?

MontyAndMelissa

With the screen sides it is harder than hell to keep humidity anywhere where it should be. The humidity for me drops in an hour from "tropical" to "desert" conditions, so I mist.. And hour later I mist again. Is there any tricks or tips to raising base line humidity without restricting air flow?

With the screen sides it is harder than hell to keep humidity anywhere where it should be. The humidity for me drops in an hour from "tropical" to "desert" conditions, so I mist.. And hour later I mist again. Is there any tricks or tips to raising base line humidity without restricting air flow?

I have 3 sides of my screen viv covered by a shower curtain, it certainly helps with the humidity. I attached it by threading wire through the holes of the mesh, which fortunately didn't require splitting the mesh, it's a bit of a fiddle to attach, but totally worth it, as it also prevents water spray through the mesh.

I have 3 sides of my screen viv covered by a shower curtain, it certainly helps with the humidity. I attached it by threading wire through the holes of the mesh, which fortunately didn't require splitting the mesh, it's a bit of a fiddle to attach, but totally worth it, as it also prevents water spray through the mesh.
My tank isn't complete screen, but it's got enough to lower the humidity. I put a few ice cubes on top of the tank, and bowls underneath to raise humidity levels.

Might look into an ultra sonic fogger. that would keep your humidity up.
I was thinking of that, or a humidifier.. I was also wondering if I could put coconut shred (it's what I use for my ball python) in a mesh bag, or a bag made of cheese cloth, on the floor of the enclosure. She won't be able to ingest the substrate, my only concern would be crickets chewing through the bag, but I've heard of cup feeding? What do you cup feed with? Crickets jump way too high to put in a cup.

I cup feed my baby veiled. He eats 1/2" crickets now. One sometimes 2 escape from the bowl. If you use a plastic container the crickets can't get enough traction to jump. I tried cup feeding my panther and he would have no part in it. He likes to hunt them down.

I was thinking of that, or a humidifier.. I was also wondering if I could put coconut shred (it's what I use for my ball python) in a mesh bag, or a bag made of cheese cloth, on the floor of the enclosure. She won't be able to ingest the substrate, my only concern would be crickets chewing through the bag, but I've heard of cup feeding? What do you cup feed with? Crickets jump way too high to put in a cup.

The other big issue with substrates is that they can harbor mold if constantly damp or wet. If you want to try using substrate why not put the layer in the cage bottom and lay a piece of window screen on top? You'll still need to keep an eye (and a nose) on it for molds and accumulating bacteria from dead feeders and poop. I've used Care Fresh paper pulp bedding in some cham cages to help with humidity if nothing else worked. If it can dry out somewhat each day it seems to take a long time before mold shows up. It won't cause an impaction if the cham happens to ingest some of it, but loose feeders can burrow into it and you still have to spot clean it.

The other big issue with substrates is that they can harbor mold if constantly damp or wet. If you want to try using substrate why not put the layer in the cage bottom and lay a piece of window screen on top? You'll still need to keep an eye (and a nose) on it for molds and accumulating bacteria from dead feeders and poop. I've used Care Fresh paper pulp bedding in some cham cages to help with humidity if nothing else worked. If it can dry out somewhat each day it seems to take a long time before mold shows up. It won't cause an impaction if the cham happens to ingest some of it, but loose feeders can burrow into it and you still have to spot clean it.
Coconut shred does pretty good at not molding. I'm wondering if I put the substrate down, cover it with window screen, then put down a layer of printer paper to catch poops or pees? The substrate will then only serve to hold humidity. I'm thinking of removing some of her branches and buying some of the ones with the suction cups on the ends, or hot glue some suction cups to the sticks, to keep them off the floor.

You should allow for a 'drying' time in between misting to slow or stop any mold or bacteria from developing. You want to avoid too much water pooling up and becoming stagnant. It doesn't need to be 90% humidity all the time.

You could add some live plants to the enclosure to help maintain humidity.

I def rec adding a ultra sonic humidifier to your arsenal, I live in Chicago and the air is dry this time of the year. I was having the Sameissue when I set up my veiled chams all screen cage set up, misting was def not enough, I bought a kids ultrasonic humidifier , the kids version that's an elephant, bought some plastic tubing from Home Depot taped it to the elephant trunk and routed it up to the top of the enclosure. The humidity level was immediately increased, awesome feeling of accomplishment after so many attempts. Just know that the only pain is cleaning the humidifier once a week because bacteria and mold build up can flourish in humidifiers. Mine is set up with a timer so it shuts off with the lights so the enclosure can dry over night. Too much moisture and cold nights may lead to trouble. Hope that helps...

Back
Top Bottom