Humidity question

Randy30

I live in a warm dry climate and its really hard to keep the humidity up even with sides and the back of the cages covered and a humidifier! So my question is I'm haveing a custom cage built and I'm thinking instead of using screen I'm goin to use plexy glass and Install fans in the tops of the cages will this be better for my chams???

what does your humidty stay at right now>

and for the record, you don't want high humidity all the time.

I'm goin to use plexy glass and Install fans in the tops of the cages will this be better for my chams???
Plexiglass holds heat in / Fans dry air out. A custom build that allows you the use of a dripper/mister, and drainage for it would be much better. A screen front and top would allow better air flow, and allow cooler air to move up as the heat from lights (warm air rises) flows up and out.

Plexiglass holds heat in / Fans dry air out. A custom build that allows you the use of a dripper/mister, and drainage for it would be much better. A screen front and top would allow better air flow, and allow cooler air to move up as the heat from lights (warm air rises) flows up and out.

It would have the water system and drainage and all that stuff what do you think about doin just the doors in plexiglass and the top screen?

what does your humidty stay at right now>

and for the record, you don't want high humidity all the time.

In the low 40's and the highest 56 I would regulate it I'm getting the ecozone to control my lights and misting system and everything

It would have the water system and drainage and all that stuff what do you think about doin just the doors in plexiglass and the top screen?
Bad idea IMHO. You need some kind of vent or opening at bottom for air flow. Plexi on all sides sounds more like sauna.

Bad idea IMHO. You need some kind of vent or opening at bottom for air flow. Plexi on all sides sounds more like sauna.

Lol right I'm talking just the door it's goin to be the same basic design as a normal cage with screen on the bottom a plexiglass door and screen on the top and I never said plexiglass on all four sides

So what we are goin to do is put fans in that will suck air in and push it out that way there is always fresh air flowing threw the cages and ill be able to solve my humidity problem! Thanks for everyone's advice

Acrylic doors are great for viewing! (Just be careful not to scratch them.) I've got screened sides and top and acrylic front and back. The bottom is wood and has a drainage system built in. I actually needed to increase the frequency of misting to maintain a higher humidity level due to two separate basking areas. I was getting readings in the low 30's and could not get my levels immediately after misting above 60%. This can and usually does vary depending on the time of year so it is good to be able to adjust things!

Lol right I'm talking just the door it's goin to be the same basic design as a normal cage with screen on the bottom a plexiglass door and screen on the top and I never said plexiglass on all four sides

One of my favorite DIY cages is very convertible from all mesh to almost closed in with removable plexiglas panels. Each mesh side, top, and front section has a plexiglas "storm window" that attaches with small plastic toggles like those for house screens. Depending on the season, temp pattern, or time of day I can adjust them for more or less humidity. That, in addition to my mister, fogger, and hand spraying worked beautifully in bone dry Colorado, and it was adjustable for different species.

Acrylic doors are great for viewing! (Just be careful not to scratch them.) I've got screened sides and top and acrylic front and back. The bottom is wood and has a drainage system built in. I actually needed to increase the frequency of misting to maintain a higher humidity level due to two separate basking areas. I was getting readings in the low 30's and could not get my levels immediately after misting above 60%. This can and usually does vary depending on the time of year so it is good to be able to adjust things!

Thanks for that information It will help me a lot that's a great blog!

One of my favorite DIY cages is very convertible from all mesh to almost closed in with removable plexiglas panels. Each mesh side, top, and front section has a plexiglas "storm window" that attaches with small plastic toggles like those for house screens. Depending on the season, temp pattern, or time of day I can adjust them for more or less humidity. That, in addition to my mister, fogger, and hand spraying worked beautifully in bone dry Colorado, and it was adjustable for different species.

If you don't mind me asking where did you get the stuff to build your panels

Back
Top Bottom