Humidity Issues

Red Bishop

Any ideas on keeping up the RH? I have a 18" x 18" x 36" screened enclosure with live plants, automatic misting system 3x/day for 5 minutes. The RH goes to 55 - 60% when misting, but after 5 minutes it is back in the low 40's. I was going to get some plexiglass for a couple of sides, but used plastic wrap to see if it would help and it really hasn't changed much.

Also thought about a humidifier. For those that use these, do you run them all day or set on a timer? My guess is that if it were on a timer, it would be no better than the misting system.

I have this humidity gage:http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=655

Does it matter where it is located in the cage? I have it on the left side, high in the cage.

Thanks for any input.

What kind of chameleon are you keeping? What kind of live plants are you using? Pothos hold water very well for a long time and that helps to keep up the humidity.

Right now, Draceana. I have been looking for Schefflera, but all the local stores have are very small ones.

I have an ambilobe panther around 4 months old.

Try to find a pothos and see if that doesn't help. Our Walmart and Home Depot carry them. You might also try misting 2 to 3 minutes 4 times a day.

wrap some plastic (i.e. shower curtain) around 2 or 3 sides, that way you still have proper ventilation and the plastic traps in more humidity

Last edited:
I was going to get some plexiglass for a couple of sides, but used plastic wrap to see if it would help and it really hasn't changed much.

Also thought about a humidifier. For those that use these, do you run them all day or set on a timer? My guess is that if it were on a timer, it would be no better than the misting system.

Does it matter where it is located in the cage? I have it on the left side, high in the cage.

Thanks for any input.

Try some heavier weight vinyl shower curtains on back and sides. They will hang a bit closer to the screen. The plastic provides more surface to hold spray droplets as well as slowing down evaporation. I usually tack the edges down here and there too. If you choose, plexi works fine especially if you find out you need to use it more of the year. I attach mine to the outside of the cage frame using storm window toggles. If your room is really that dry you may need to use it on 3-4 sides but leave some panel areas open for air exchange. You'll just have to experiment. Plexi is easy to clean too.

I use a humidifier on a timer...it runs in cycles between hand spraying to create a little less intense dry periods between sprayings. You don't want the cage surfaces sopping wet all the time either. I create the driest period at the peak of the day when it is also warmest. You'll need to use trial and error to find out how long and how often it should run: Set up the cage the way you want, set up the hygrometer, and spray normally. Measure the RH high level and note the time. Wait. When the cage gets TOO dry again, note the time and start the humidifier. Run the humidifier until the cage gets near the moderate humidity level you want. Shut the unit off. You now know how long it takes the cage to dry out after spraying and how long to run the humidifier each cycle.

The ultrasonics are great because the fine fog really penetrates to all plant and cage surfaces...something hand spraying may not be able to do unless you stand there for 20 minutes.

I prefer leaving my hygrometer outside the cage until I want to check the actual RH level in one or more areas inside. The reason? I think the sensor can get saturated or even a bit corroded if it sits in a humid area 24/7. They react to humidity change pretty quickly once you move it. But, if you want to leave it inside, put it lower down near the live plants. Up high near the lighting will be the dryest area.

Thanks for the input. I will look into a Pothos and change my schedule misting schedule to see how it goes. Didn't want to change the schedule because he would always run for the hills, but the last couple of days he walks back into the mist for the last couple of minutes.

His poop is white and brown, so he doesn't seem to have an issue with hydration. Should the whole cage be the same RH? I have the gage where it is away from the spray, so maybe if I move it closer to the actual misting, it will read better.:confused:

Try some heavier weight vinyl shower curtains on back and sides. They will hang a bit closer to the screen. The plastic provides more surface to hold spray droplets as well as slowing down evaporation. I usually tack the edges down here and there too. If you choose, plexi works fine especially if you find out you need to use it more of the year. I attach mine to the outside of the cage frame using storm window toggles. If your room is really that dry you may need to use it on 3-4 sides but leave some panel areas open for air exchange. You'll just have to experiment. Plexi is easy to clean too.

I use a humidifier on a timer...it runs in cycles between hand spraying to create a little less intense dry periods between sprayings. You don't want the cage surfaces sopping wet all the time either. I create the driest period at the peak of the day when it is also warmest. You'll need to use trial and error to find out how long and how often it should run: Set up the cage the way you want, set up the hygrometer, and spray normally. Measure the RH high level and note the time. Wait. When the cage gets TOO dry again, note the time and start the humidifier. Run the humidifier until the cage gets near the moderate humidity level you want. Shut the unit off. You now know how long it takes the cage to dry out after spraying and how long to run the humidifier each cycle.

The ultrasonics are great because the fine fog really penetrates to all plant and cage surfaces...something hand spraying may not be able to do unless you stand there for 20 minutes.

I prefer leaving my hygrometer outside the cage until I want to check the actual RH level in one or more areas inside. The reason? I think the sensor can get saturated or even a bit corroded if it sits in a humid area 24/7. They react to humidity change pretty quickly once you move it. But, if you want to leave it inside, put it lower down near the live plants. Up high near the lighting will be the dryest area.

Will the Plexiglass do better than the plastic wrap? I don't mind buying it and putting it on if it will help.

We live in similar climates and I have the exact same size cage. Just a theory; as chameleons like to thermo regulate, why wouldn't they also like to regulate their humidity? This is especially true when they are shedding, only they know the proper humidity gradient needed to get that old skin off. After observing my chameleon this seems to be accurate but still just a theory or perhaps it's been proven and I just haven't heard about it yet. I place a Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier next to but below my cage, this way the steam has the distance to cool down but still is warm before entering the chameleon's home. On the side where the mist enters the humidity ranges from 70%-80%, yet on the other end of the enclosure it is around 50%-60%. Cool mist does little to maintain humidity from my experience but it is safer, much caution must be taken with warm mist. Anyway, my chameleon loves to sit in the warm vapor and bask in the morning for a few hours before going to the less humid end of his pad. I run my humidifier 24/7 but this all depends on what species of chameleon you have, either way it keeps things humid but not wet.

We live in similar climates and I have the exact same size cage. Just a theory; as chameleons like to thermo regulate, why wouldn't they also like to regulate their humidity? This is especially true when they are shedding, only they know the proper humidity gradient needed to get that old skin off. After observing my chameleon this seems to be accurate but still just a theory or perhaps it's been proven and I just haven't heard about it yet. I place a Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier next to but below my cage, this way the steam has the distance to cool down but still is warm before entering the chameleon's home. On the side where the mist enters the humidity ranges from 70%-80%, yet on the other end of the enclosure it is around 50%-60%. Cool mist does little to maintain humidity from my experience but it is safer, much caution must be taken with warm mist. Anyway, my chameleon loves to sit in the warm vapor and bask in the morning for a few hours before going to the less humid end of his pad. I run my humidifier 24/7 but this all depends on what species of chameleon you have, either way it keeps things humid but not wet.

Since you're in the area, do you run the humidifier directly into the cage or the room? Also, I moved my RH gage around and the lower part of the cage is staying around 60% for a longer period of time. Do you wrap with plastic or plexi any sides of your cage? My guy is always roaming around the top area of the cage, so he never goes down where the RH is staying at 60%.

Do you wrap with plastic or plexi any sides of your cage? Nope, it wasn't needed.

Do you run the humidifier directly into the cage or the room? A picture is the best way I can explain. The humidifier is at the bottom right corner of the cage, it shoots directly up the side and about 50% of the mist floats to the left into the cage. Top to bottom, the right side of the cage stays at a high humidity, gradually decreasing towards the left side of the cage. If you try this please make sure the mist is not hot when it is entering the cage, warm is ideal. I took this picture at night, as one can see, the little fellow is sleeping in the more humid end but other nights he is on the less humid end, the choice is his, he knows his humidity requirements better than any human does, no surprise that he stays in the high humidity end the most during shedding.

Attachments

• 102_0080.jpg
    102_0080.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 125
Will the Plexiglass do better than the plastic wrap? I don't mind buying it and putting it on if it will help.

Well, it may look nicer than plastic. The Plexi would have to be attached to the cage in some way so it will create a more closed space. As long as there are vented areas you could go either way. I've done it both ways...larger cages tend to get the shower curtains because of cost.

Well, it may look nicer than plastic. The Plexi would have to be attached to the cage in some way so it will create a more closed space. As long as there are vented areas you could go either way. I've done it both ways...larger cages tend to get the shower curtains because of cost.

I have been measuring at the middle of the cage instead of the top and getting better readings. In that area the RH goes to 80% after misting and gets down to around 50% before the next cycle. I think my problem was measuring at the highest, hottest area. I figured that is where I should be measuring because that is where is hangs out.

The cage is 18 x 18 x 36 and Home Depot has piece of plexiglass at 18 x 24, so I may use this on two/three and leave the extra 12" open.

they have heavy weight painters plastic, that when cut clean with a new razor will be perfect..also plexi glass may invoke a reflection witch would cause stress..i would stick with either shower curtain (witch smells like rubber, and is more expensive to cut up for a project) home depot has these rolls(witch would give you about five cages worth of plastic)..its about 1.99 for the big roll and singles for like 59 cents..

I live in Arizona (so super dry) and I have been running an ultrasonic into the room on a timer. I even run it at night from 12-5am when the humidity in a natural environment would be high but in his cage it would be the lowest without the help of the humidifier. I wouldn't run it at night if it was into the cage because I wouldn't want to upset his sleep. I am also misting from 3-5 min 5 times a day with the last being 1hr 20min before lights out.

they have heavy weight painters plastic, that when cut clean with a new razor will be perfect..also plexi glass may invoke a reflection witch would cause stress..i would stick with either shower curtain (witch smells like rubber, and is more expensive to cut up for a project) home depot has these rolls(witch would give you about five cages worth of plastic)..its about 1.99 for the big roll and singles for like 59 cents..

I used to use painters' plastic until I found really nice crystal clear industrial weight shower curtains from a hotel supplier. The visibility was nice, the reinforced grommeted curtains hung well from the cage top too. I didn't have trouble with reflections probably because the plexi was outside the cage screen. Maybe just enough interference.

A lot of people on the boards have been saying that the reflection thing is a myth and that glass terrariums are acceptable to keep humidity up. Is the painters plastic clear. The plastic wrap is working, so I was planning to add the plexi, but I'll look into the painters plastic.

I used to use painters' plastic until I found really nice crystal clear industrial weight shower curtains from a hotel supplier. The visibility was nice, the reinforced grommeted curtains hung well from the cage top too. I didn't have trouble with reflections probably because the plexi was outside the cage screen. Maybe just enough interference.

Does the shower curtain have a clean look? I want it to do the job, but not look like I threw a shower curtain over the cage. What was the cost?

Does the shower curtain have a clean look? I want it to do the job, but not look like I threw a shower curtain over the cage. What was the cost?

I've used the "crystal clear" vinyl shower curtains for years on all sorts of cages. Nice reinforced grommet holes along the top made them easy to attach to the cage frame so it looks neat. The weight made them hang straight. The painter's plastic sheeting is usually cloudy (they often describe it as clear but it isn't). Check Home Depot or Lowes for curtains. There are hotel supply websites that sell them in different length/widths too. I don't recall the prices, but you don't have to buy a huge long roll of plastic sheeting you don't need either.

A lot of people on the boards have been saying that the reflection thing is a myth and that glass terrariums are acceptable to keep humidity up. Is the painters plastic clear. The plastic wrap is working, so I was planning to add the plexi, but I'll look into the painters plastic.

About the reflection thing...I have had a couple of wc chams who did react to reflections, but mostly they kept trying to paw their way out of the cage a lot. With the mesh interrupting the "invisible" or reflective surface of plexi I didn't see this.

Back
Top Bottom