Humidity Issues :/

Ethen44

Hello Everyone:)

I have 3 Ambilobes in the same room, it's a small room with approximately 200 square feet. They are all in screen cages (although I have dividers so they can't see one another). Currently I am having an issue with maintaining a humidity of 80% in the room (currently I'm at 45%) I've increased my misting to 6x a day, and I recently bought a 1 gallon warm mist humidifier, but those only seemed to raise the humidity by 10% or so. So my question is, what are some successful measures to be taken to maintain such a high humidity? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you all :)

You do not need or want humidity that high all of the time. Your house will mold! Hopefully you are measuring the humidity in the individual cages and not just in the room. Having well planted screen cages and covering 2 or 3 sides with plastic sheeting can help. You really want humidity to spike after mistings and it is perfectly fine if it drops between mistings. You also want to make sure your cages are having a chance to air out, 6 mistings is a lot.

I covered 2-3 sides of my screen cages with shower curtain liners and that has helped keep the humidity up for me. I just taped them somewhat loosely to the sides so air exchange still occurs, plus the top and front is still open. It's really cheap too. I used one liner to cover 3 sides of two big cages. Also I hooked my humidifer up to some PVC pipes that take the fog straight into the cages. I have a feeling my chams will really appreciate that in the summer. :)

i was having some trouble keeping humidity up as well and thought more frequent mistings were the answer. i don't recommend it. you will have to maintain the enclosure more frequently as bacteria is more apt to grow in constantly wet environments. in the winter i have found two-three mistings a day and a humidifier seem to do the trick. you just have to make sure you keep the humidifier clean and also open up the window once in a while when it's not too cold or something to get some sort of co2 exchange going in the room. it's an uphill battle in the colder months, but you'll find what works best.

something to keep in mind is there are chameleon species that live in the wild in central and southern florida...they somehow live with the temps dropping and 40-50% humidity.

i was having some trouble keeping humidity up as well and thought more frequent mistings were the answer. i don't recommend it. you will have to maintain the enclosure more frequently as bacteria is more apt to grow in constantly wet environments. in the winter i have found two-three mistings a day and a humidifier seem to do the trick. you just have to make sure you keep the humidifier clean and also open up the window once in a while when it's not too cold or something to get some sort of co2 exchange going in the room. it's an uphill battle in the colder months, but you'll find what works best.

something to keep in mind is there are chameleon species that live in the wild in central and southern florida...they somehow live with the temps dropping and 40-50% humidity.

So what is your average humidity at then? I live in Florida and don't have much of a humidity problem. how low does your drop to?

like ferrit said i belive that using plastic to temp cover the side is your best option, cheap and easy..

You do not need or want humidity that high all of the time. Your house will mold! Hopefully you are measuring the humidity in the individual cages and not just in the room. Having well planted screen cages and covering 2 or 3 sides with plastic sheeting can help. You really want humidity to spike after mistings and it is perfectly fine if it drops between mistings. You also want to make sure your cages are having a chance to air out, 6 mistings is a lot.

Okay, so are you are suggesting that I move the cage to a corner of the room perhaps? I will try that, as well as covering one of the other faces very loosely with plastic, or some form of canvas. I will also reduce the amount of times that I mist to 3x a day. Currently the humidity is at 48%, and 44% in my two individual cages. I will let you know what it is once I reposition my cages and adjust my misting schedule.

Back
Top Bottom