Humidity Help

Brit12

So I just became a owner of a veiled chameleon, I named him Leon. Im way excited! Anyways I have a cage with a screen top and a screen in the front bottom half and I cant seem to keep the humidity level constant. At night when all the lights go out it stays at a perfect level. But during the day when the lights are on it keeps dropping. I purchased a pothos plant, covered the top with glass. And I am constantly misting his cage. Is there someone out there that can give me any ideas or tips? :confused:

The glass on the top will filter out the UVB that is essential for proper health. A drip system and preferably a mist system of some kind is the way to go. I know this may not be practical or affordable in some situations, but it is better to do in the long run. Live plants in the cage as you mentioned will also help to raise the humidity level. Then there is always the humidifer in the room near the cage if you can't keep it somewhere in the 60% range. Up to 70-80% during the day is better and it can somewhat drop at night.

You could elaborate more on what you meant by the UVB lighting? My UVB light is coming in on the side, is that a problem?

No that's fine if it comes through on the side, just as long as there is no glass between the chameleon and the UVB. If it's coming through on the side, then the glass on top will help keep the humidity up.

Anyways I have a cage with a screen top ...
What is the glass for? It wont do much if the sides are screen, too much air exchange. I would ditch the glass, and mist more often if ness.
Be aware that home heating/air con, can dry the air some and your lizards heating will add to that.
It dose not need to be tropical humidity, dont panic yet.
observe your chams first sloughing and if it seems prolonged, make adjustment as required.
cheers

Last edited:
What sort of humidy levels are you seeing? How are you measuring them? In general, adding live plants, increasing misting, and reducing ventilation are all potential ways to increase humidity. How much of each should be used depends on the particular situation. Can you give us a bit more info on the setup and/or pics?

cj

If you can put your live plants in terracotta pots, that will help even more.

I keep a small terracotta pot filled with hydrated water crystals (covered with fine mesh) in my cage. I find that helps a lot. Every few days I take it out for the night and soak it in water to rehydrate it.

The glass is there to help keep the humidity up. I leave some open on top so I can get a pretty good air flow going through. Im new to this site so I dont know how to upload a pic or I would. The humidity goes from 60 from when I mist the cage and a couple hrs later its dropped to 30 to 20.

In that case you'll need to enclose it a bit if its practical and follow the suggestions given.
50% is a good ambient level if you can maintain it, much below that will be see your cham have some difficulty.
A fogger designed for frog tanks might be a longer term more practical solution, perhaps on a timer during the day. :)
Hopefully some keepers in your area will have nifty tips for you.

The glass is there to help keep the humidity up. I leave some open on top so I can get a pretty good air flow going through. Im new to this site so I dont know how to upload a pic or I would. The humidity goes from 60 from when I mist the cage and a couple hrs later its dropped to 30 to 20.

Ok, in that case I might try using some clear plastic (even suran-wrap) to partially cover some of the screen, mist frequently, possibly add more plants (but it depends on space and if there is enough light to keep healthy plants) and possibly utilize a humidifier (ultrasonic humidifiers can work wonderfully).

You do want some ventilation, but generally speaking I think the space left open for UV and basking lights often provides plenty (depends though...). The goal is not to seal up the cage and create a swamp. Water from misting should be completely evaporated within an hour or two. Rather, the goal is to retain some of the humidity produced via spraying and live plants, while still providing sufficient ventilation to keep a healthy environment.

I'd probably try using a bit of clear plastic over the screen and misting a bit more, seeing where that gets you, and going from there.

cj

Back
Top Bottom