Humidity Help ASAP!

TheChamGirl

Hey! I just got my first chameleon today after 6 months of research. I just have one question. How do you keep your humidity up. Mine is dropping really low and I need to bring it up mostly because a) I want my Finn to be healthy and b) because hes shedding. Thanks! :)

Depends on the enclosure. For screened, for example, cover up to 3 sides with coroplast, shower curtains, ect.

What kind of chameleon do you have ? And how are you measuring the humidity? How low is "really low" - and how long does it take after spraying does it take before it goes back to "really low"
I've used this small humidifier
http://www.amazon.com/Crane-Ultrasonic-Humidifier-Gallon-output/dp/B005PK7RW4 with a tube going to the top of the cage- that came on with my lights - I used a plastic tube about the same width as the hole at the top and worried more about being able to take it all apart for cleaning than if all the steam went exactly where I was pointing it. If you use one like it you want a "cool mist" - and they need to be cleaned regularly -

What kind of chameleon do you have ? And how are you measuring the humidity? How low is "really low" - and how long does it take after spraying does it take before it goes back to "really low"
I've used this small humidifier
http://www.amazon.com/Crane-Ultrasonic-Humidifier-Gallon-output/dp/B005PK7RW4 with a tube going to the top of the cage- that came on with my lights - I used a plastic tube about the same width as the hole at the top and worried more about being able to take it all apart for cleaning than if all the steam went exactly where I was pointing it. If you use one like it you want a "cool mist" - and they need to be cleaned regularly -

I have a male veiled cham. I'm using a hydrometer I got at the pet store to measure my humidity. I will most likely be getting a humidifier really soon, may just get one at Walmart tonight when I go to look for some live plants ( I doubt they will have any but...) The low is about 30 :(. It about goes to about 50 then stays for about 2 hours, Im going to get a humidifier ASAP. Today I'm just misting more than usual. I hope he does ok. Thank you so much for the input :D

Some live plants and a mister automated to run 3-5x a day for over a minute per run should keep him hydrated and happy. They need to things to dry out between mistings not a constant high humidity. I would recommend investing in a mistking instead of humidifier.

I find that my humidifier (it's big too) doesn't do much unless it's on for hours and I live in South Florida. Misting the cage multiple times a day and keeping several live plants does a better job. Definitely would get a Mistking if I could, I will eventually but I'm always home for now so it's not a big deal. ;)

A pump mister that you can get in a garden center works better at bringing up humidity than a spray bottle - a mistking would be better yet, but a pump mister is about 10 to 20 dollars -they both have a finer mist which lets you spray longer with better results - don't try to save money by getting a monsoon if you decide to go automatic -

Help

I just gotta chameleon and he/she is a veiled I have a fogger and a dripper but still having issues with humidity it drops down to about thirty and then I have to mist and turn fogger on for a minute to bring it back up as well I haven't got any live plants but need to purchase some any recommendations on what's safe for them?

I just gotta chameleon and he/she is a veiled I have a fogger and a dripper but still having issues with humidity it drops down to about thirty and then I have to mist and turn fogger on for a minute to bring it back up as well I haven't got any live plants but need to purchase some any recommendations on what's safe for them?

If you do some reading you'll find a "list of safe plants" at the top of the forum. Drippers don't raise the cage humidity very much as they don't spread a lot of droplets around. Do you hand spray the foliage? That will help. If your house is getting drier because you are heating it now that will dry out the air more. You may have to close in more of the cage...clear sheet plastic, shower curtains, all sorts of things can do this.

Back
Top Bottom