Humidity at night

Sidthekid89

Hello, I have about a year old jackson chameleon and my husbandry is near perfect. The only thing that is off is HUMIDITY AT NIGHT. My humidity in the day is around 40-50%, but in the night time it goes up to only 55%. I watched a video about humidity, and I already have shower curtains, live plants, soil, and a mistking that goes on around 2 times a day, and about a week ago, I got a heat bulb with no light that goes on at night, but I took it out because it raised the heat to almost 70 degrees, which is not good. I was just wondering how I was supposed to bring the humidity up and how does the humidity supposed to go up at night when there is no heat?
Any advice would help.
Thank you

Hello, I have about a year old jackson chameleon and my husbandry is near perfect. The only thing that is off is HUMIDITY AT NIGHT. My humidity in the day is around 40-50%, but in the night time it goes up to only 55%. I watched a video about humidity, and I already have shower curtains, live plants, soil, and a mistking that goes on around 2 times a day, and about a week ago, I got a heat bulb with no light that goes on at night, but I took it out because it raised the heat to almost 70 degrees, which is not good. I was just wondering how I was supposed to bring the humidity up and how does the humidity supposed to go up at night when there is no heat?
Any advice would help.
Thank you
So you actually want cold humidity at night. You would never put a heat emitter bulb on at night unless your temps are below 50 degrees. But they need the cool down at night.

You would add a fogger at night. something like this. It would be used at night only when cage temps have dropped below 65-68. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V39ZYJB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vplXDb9GMSZDZ

Take a look at this. It will help explain it. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-environment/

Any advice would help.
Thank you
When temps go up, humidity goes down, and vice versa. If more frequent mistings at night (which will also help to lower temps via evaporative cooling) don't do it, then a fogger.

There are a couple threads going on this already—in this section and in the Enclosures section.

Ok, but what times would be best to run a fogger at night?
Depends on what the humidity is when. Some foggers have timers; some are controlled by humidity (or can be).

For a Jacksons as mentioned cooler nights is wanted. Depending on where you are at, often night air is good if temp and humidity is right. I pump in night air, because here in Oregon it gets cool and humid. I would worry more about keeping him cool. I have found this to be the trickier part. I have Veilds but the principle is the same. I have found that "keeping them warm" isn't the biggest worry and that mid to low 70s day time is good. A basking bulb to maybe 78-80 and done. In contrast Night time we really want to get to low 60s and %100 humidity. After these night I see the best colors, like night colors all morning.
This is easier said that done. Depending on your home this is often the hardest part. A small computer fan (you can buy usb ones) blowing from the bottom up at angle , with a good fogger will help cool that area by several degrees. Some have put Ice on top of the cage to cool at night as well. It depends on your home.

Sorry, but I have another question, instead of a fogger, would I be able to buy a Humidifier for the room?
As long as it is a cool mist humidifier then yes. Make sure it does not have a scent thing in it too. You can also retro fit one of these with a pvc pipe depending on the version you get then have it run to the enclosure.

As long as it is a cool mist humidifier then yes. Make sure it does not have a scent thing in it too. You can also retro fit one of these with a pvc pipe depending on the version you get then have it run to the enclosure.
Is there a recommended brand Humidifier you would recommend.?

And also, my chams cage is in my room, and I have a fan that runs in my room at night, would a fan bring down the humidity in the cage?

And also, my chams cage is in my room, and I have a fan that runs in my room at night, would a fan bring down the humidity in the cage?
If you keep the enclosure wrapped as you mentioned in post #1, any effect should be negligible.
However, trial & error would be the litmus test. Try it one night with the fan on and another with the fan off. If there's a significant difference, we can revisit & figure out some remedies. ;)

Is there a recommended brand Humidifier you would recommend.?
I converted one to hook up to the cage but it was an expensive room cool mist humidifier. And since it is fancy I have to manually set it every day. :( So I would not even buy this one again.

Back
Top Bottom