Humidity at 71% at night and rising??

LibbyRhiann

Hi everyone!

just got my first chameleon yesterday! Did a lot of research before purchasing but one thing is there is so many different opinions on the ideal humidity.

i have a 10 month old male veiled chameleon, he seems to have settled nicely into his new home, his humidity during the day is around 55-65% .. I have turned everything off at 10pm (UK time, I live in the UK, England), and the humidity seems to be rising, it’s currently at 71%, so I am slightly worried as this is my first chameleon... any suggestions please :)

He is currently in the Exo Terra Glass Palaudarium Medium X-Tall ( 24” x 18” x 36)

Glass enclosures hold humidity way more. There isn’t much ventilation. Also, for a male the minimum is a 2 feet wide, by 2 feet deep, and 4 feet tall. He will need to be upgraded. I personally think a screen in better for a beginner to not have to worry about RI.

Hi everyone!

just got my first chameleon yesterday! Did a lot of research before purchasing but one thing is there is so many different opinions on the ideal humidity.

i have a 10 month old male veiled chameleon, he seems to have settled nicely into his new home, his humidity during the day is around 55-65% .. I have turned everything off at 10pm (UK time, I live in the UK, England), and the humidity seems to be rising, it’s currently at 71%, so I am slightly worried as this is my first chameleon... any suggestions please :)

He is currently in the Exo Terra Glass Palaudarium Medium X-Tall ( 24” x 18” x 36)
You are not running any heat on it or lights at night correct? Daytime for a Veiled you want 30-40% typically with the max being 50%. Night time it can rise up to 100% without issue as long as the temps reduce below 68.
Glass can be used but harder to control for temp and humidity for a newer keeper.
Can you post a picture of the entire enclosure for us?

Glass enclosures hold humidity way more. There isn’t much ventilation. Also, for a male the minimum is a 2 feet wide, by 2 feet deep, and 4 feet tall. He will need to be upgraded. I personally think a screen in better for a beginner to not have to worry about RI.

Do you have an enclosure you could recommend That I am able to buy in the UK and I will upgrade. Thank you!

You are not running any heat on it or lights at night correct? Daytime for a Veiled you want 30-40% typically with the max being 50%. Night time it can rise up to 100% without issue as long as the temps reduce below 68.
Glass can be used but harder to control for temp and humidity for a newer keeper.
Can you post a picture of the entire enclosure for us?
B3781850-C266-49D5-BE1D-21B13C2F0E6B.jpeg

Ok hun... They had you buy the wrong stuff for a Veiled... Fake plants are dangerous as Veileds will chew on them and they become an impaction risk. You want to create an environment where it is like being in the trees because they are arboreal. The substrate in the bottom is an impaction risk as well. I think I see veg in a bowl. you can toss that they should not be fed veg like a bearded dragon.

You do not have a ceramic heat lamp running correct? Do you have a linear UVB bulb on there?

Start reading through this husbandry program. It will explain everything in detail https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Ok hun... They had you buy the wrong stuff for a Veiled... Fake plants are dangerous as Veileds will chew on them and they become an impaction risk. You want to create an environment where it is like being in the trees because they are arboreal. The substrate in the bottom is an impaction risk as well. I think I see veg in a bowl. you can toss that they should not be fed veg like a bearded dragon.

You do not have a ceramic heat lamp running correct? Do you have a linear UVB bulb on there?

Start reading through this husbandry program. It will explain everything in detail https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Hi,

I did have ceramic heat emitter but read a lot on here and switched To 100w basking spot lamp as people seemed to think this was better

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 76
Hi,

I did have ceramic heat emitter but read a lot on here and switched To 100w basking spot lamp as people seemed to think this was better
Ok a 100watt will have some serious output. I personally do not like the ceramic ones. They do pose a higher risk for thermal burns when they are not properly used.

Can you fill this out for us in detail so we can give you thorough feedback?

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Ok a 100watt will have some serious output. I personally do not like the ceramic ones. They do pose a higher risk for thermal burns when they are not properly used.

Can you fill this out for us in detail so we can give you thorough feedback?

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:

Veiled Chameleon, 10 months old, Male, 2 days in my care

Handled him once today as whether was 26 here in UK so wanted to take him out for the natural sun and heat, he seems to love being handled.

Currently feeding him locusts, cockroaches, the place I got him from said he was eating around 8 a day. He had 7 off me this morning around 11am, plus one cockroach. Hasn’t eaten for the rest of the day. I have purchased bug grub and give that to the bugs, also give jelly pots.

I currently use “livefoods booster for chameleons” I Am dusting the locus in this today as I have fed him, looked up different dusting vitamins and I am going to buy some ZooMed ones tomorrow.

I have not yet seen him drinking, but I misted him 3 times today, I use luke warm water in a spray bottle and spray the sides of the glass and spray all the leaves, I must for around 3/4 minutes each time.

I have not yet seen him poop.

Bought him from the pet shop yesterday, so not long had him, my first chameleon.

Cage Info:

He is currently in a glass cage, Exo Terra - Medium X Tall ( 24” x 18” x 36) as I am worried living in a UK and winter approaching, a screen cage would end up too cold during the night time?

Currently using Repti Glo 10.0 UVB Desert Terrarium Lamp, attached to a T8 Reflector (Komodo brand)

I have a 100W basking spot lamp in a ceramic reflector clamp lamp, which is attached to a Exo-Terra Thermostat 300w.

I turn everything off at 9pm and back on at 9am.

I have a thermometer inside the cage which estimates the average temperature at around 30 degrees Celsius, the thermometer sits inside the cage near the top. The temperature overnight sits at around 21 degrees Celsius (checked now at 1am).

Humidity is around 50-55% during the day, I use a hygrometer to measure this, this sits inside the cage in the middle, misting twice daily.

Currently have branches and fake leaves in the cage (as this is what the pet shop had in their cages and said this would be okay) seen on here today how they can be dangerous so should I change and get real plants? Also using pro rep bark chips coarse grade as substrate at the bottom, as again this is what the pet shop recommended.

Cage is located on top of my Chester drawers, far from the floor, it is not near any fans or air vents.

I am located in the UK, England, North West.

Perfect I will start going through this now. Do you have pics of your cham also? I need a picture of the supplement your dusting with I am not familiar with that one.

@LibbyRhiann see my feedback in red bold. :) This will be a ton of feedback. Let us know what questions you have.
Your boy is beautiful and looks very healthy.

Chameleon Info:
Handled him once today as whether was 26 here in UK so wanted to take him out for the natural sun and heat, he seems to love being handled. Perfect not to hot and not too cool. Just make sure you do not stick him on a bush. They are fast when they want to be.
Currently feeding him locusts, cockroaches, the place I got him from said he was eating around 8 a day. He had 7 off me this morning around 11am, plus one cockroach. Hasn’t eaten for the rest of the day. I have purchased bug grub and give that to the bugs, also give jelly pots. At 10 months he should be reduced in feeders so he does not get fat. He is not going to be happy about it. Reduce to 5 feeders every other day and then in a month reduce to 3 every other day. You will want to gutload the bugs. The jelly pots do not do the job they just give moisture. So either fresh fruit and veg from the gutload sheet or buy something like Bug burger by repashy. I am not familiar with bug grub. may be similar to repashy bug burger.

I currently use “livefoods booster for chameleons” I Am dusting the locus in this today as I have fed him, looked up different dusting vitamins and I am going to buy some ZooMed ones tomorrow. You will only want to use this supplement 2 times a month. It has Calcium with D3 and Vitamin A which are both fat soluble and will build up becoming toxic. You want a calcium without D3 to use at all other feedings. I prefer Arcadia supplements. You should be able to easily get them there.
I have not yet seen him drinking, but I misted him 3 times today, I use luke warm water in a spray bottle and spray the sides of the glass and spray all the leaves, I must for around 3/4 minutes each time. So room temp water only. What may seem warm to us can be hot to them. They are shy drinkers and typically will only drink off plants.
Bought him from the pet shop yesterday, so not long had him, my first chameleon.

Cage Info:
He is currently in a glass cage, Exo Terra - Medium X Tall ( 24” x 18” x 36) as I am worried living in a UK and winter approaching, a screen cage would end up too cold during the night time? So yes it can be done with a glass enclosure but you want the largest exo terra they make
Natural Terrarium Large/X-Tall 90 x 45 x 90 cm / 36” x 18” x 36” (WxDxH), And you have to set these up totally bio active. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/
It can be done with screen as well. Day time temps for Veileds should be 80-85max for basking and then ambient temps should be in the low 70's. Night time temps they do need a temp drop. They can do a temp drop down to 50f. If your home gets lower then that then you have to up it to the low mid 60's.

Currently using Repti Glo 10.0 UVB Desert Terrarium Lamp, attached to a T8 Reflector (Komodo brand) You want to trade this out for a T5HO fixture and a 6% arcadia uvb bulb. This should run the width of the final cage size. and the closest branch would need to be 9 inches below it. T8 is a lower out put and it could be used but they have to be able to get closer to the fixture. So they need a branch 5-6 inches down below the fixture. But your fixture is not wide enough for your cage.

I have a 100W basking spot lamp in a ceramic reflector clamp lamp, which is attached to a Exo-Terra Thermostat 300w.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

I have a thermometer inside the cage which estimates the average temperature at around 30 degrees Celsius, the thermometer sits inside the cage near the top. The temperature overnight sits at around 21 degrees Celsius (checked now at 1am). looks like your using analog temp gauges which are known to be very inaccurate. I would get a digital one with a wired probe to put in at basking so you know the exact temp. 85 max for basking.
Humidity is around 50-55% during the day, I use a hygrometer to measure this, this sits inside the cage in the middle, misting twice daily. Is this with an analog gauge? if so same situation here. You ideally want 30-40% with 50% being the very max end for daytime. THen at night it can rise to 100 when the cage is cool without issue.
Currently have branches and fake leaves in the cage (as this is what the pet shop had in their cages and said this would be okay) seen on here today how they can be dangerous so should I change and get real plants? Also using pro rep bark chips coarse grade as substrate at the bottom, as again this is what the pet shop recommended. They were wrong on both. With Veileds they are like toddlers and everything goes in the mouth. Both of these items are an impaction risk. So bark should be removed. Live plants should be added. The issue with glass cages is if they are not set up correctly bio active this leaves a mess of water. Here is a link to veiled tested plants https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf
Cage is located on top of my Chester drawers, far from the floor, it is not near any fans or air vents.

I highly recommend reading through this husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
This is your species specific care sheet https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

@LibbyRhiann see my feedback in red bold. :) This will be a ton of feedback. Let us know what questions you have.
Your boy is beautiful and looks very healthy.

Chameleon Info:
Handled him once today as whether was 26 here in UK so wanted to take him out for the natural sun and heat, he seems to love being handled. Perfect not to hot and not too cool. Just make sure you do not stick him on a bush. They are fast when they want to be.
Currently feeding him locusts, cockroaches, the place I got him from said he was eating around 8 a day. He had 7 off me this morning around 11am, plus one cockroach. Hasn’t eaten for the rest of the day. I have purchased bug grub and give that to the bugs, also give jelly pots. At 10 months he should be reduced in feeders so he does not get fat. He is not going to be happy about it. Reduce to 5 feeders every other day and then in a month reduce to 3 every other day. You will want to gutload the bugs. The jelly pots do not do the job they just give moisture. So either fresh fruit and veg from the gutload sheet or buy something like Bug burger by repashy. I am not familiar with bug grub. may be similar to repashy bug burger.

I currently use “livefoods booster for chameleons” I Am dusting the locus in this today as I have fed him, looked up different dusting vitamins and I am going to buy some ZooMed ones tomorrow. You will only want to use this supplement 2 times a month. It has Calcium with D3 and Vitamin A which are both fat soluble and will build up becoming toxic. You want a calcium without D3 to use at all other feedings. I prefer Arcadia supplements. You should be able to easily get them there.
I have not yet seen him drinking, but I misted him 3 times today, I use luke warm water in a spray bottle and spray the sides of the glass and spray all the leaves, I must for around 3/4 minutes each time. So room temp water only. What may seem warm to us can be hot to them. They are shy drinkers and typically will only drink off plants.

Cage Info:
He is currently in a glass cage, Exo Terra - Medium X Tall ( 24” x 18” x 36) as I am worried living in a UK and winter approaching, a screen cage would end up too cold during the night time? So yes it can be done with a glass enclosure but you want the largest exo terra they make
Natural Terrarium Large/X-Tall 90 x 45 x 90 cm / 36” x 18” x 36” (WxDxH), And you have to set these up totally bio active. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/
It can be done with screen as well. Day time temps for Veileds should be 80-85max for basking and then ambient temps should be in the low 70's. Night time temps they do need a temp drop. They can do a temp drop down to 50f. If your home gets lower then that then you have to up it to the low mid 60's.

Currently using Repti Glo 10.0 UVB Desert Terrarium Lamp, attached to a T8 Reflector (Komodo brand) You want to trade this out for a T5HO fixture and a 6% arcadia uvb bulb. This should run the width of the final cage size. and the closest branch would need to be 9 inches below it. T8 is a lower out put and it could be used but they have to be able to get closer to the fixture. So they need a branch 5-6 inches down below the fixture. But your fixture is not wide enough for your cage.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

I have a thermometer inside the cage which estimates the average temperature at around 30 degrees Celsius, the thermometer sits inside the cage near the top. The temperature overnight sits at around 21 degrees Celsius (checked now at 1am). looks like your using analog temp gauges which are known to be very inaccurate. I would get a digital one with a wired probe to put in at basking so you know the exact temp. 85 max for basking.
Humidity is around 50-55% during the day, I use a hygrometer to measure this, this sits inside the cage in the middle, misting twice daily. Is this with an analog gauge? if so same situation here. You ideally want 30-40% with 50% being the very max end for daytime. THen at night it can rise to 100 when the cage is cool without issue.
Currently have branches and fake leaves in the cage (as this is what the pet shop had in their cages and said this would be okay) seen on here today how they can be dangerous so should I change and get real plants? Also using pro rep bark chips coarse grade as substrate at the bottom, as again this is what the pet shop recommended. They were wrong on both. With Veileds they are like toddlers and everything goes in the mouth. Both of these items are an impaction risk. So bark should be removed. Live plants should be added. The issue with glass cages is if they are not set up correctly bio active this leaves a mess of water. Here is a link to veiled tested plants https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

I highly recommend reading through this husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
This is your species specific care sheet https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

View attachment 277262View attachment 277263

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that feedback this helps a great deal. Can I ask if this is the one you mean as I will purchase this now??? Many thanks :)
5B3F1D28-BBAE-47EF-A445-5E1071D16FC6.png

Your welcome hun. Yes that is exactly the UVB lighting I was talking about. And with this the closest branch below it would be 9 inches down. :)

Okay that’s great I will get that now, sorry for another question I just feel awful now like I’m doing everything wrong for him...
Just to clarify ... I should buy a new cage and if so should I keep glass or go for a screen?

Okay that’s great I will get that now, sorry for another question I just feel awful now like I’m doing everything wrong for him...
Just to clarify ... I should buy a new cage and if so should I keep glass or go for a screen?

AA62E084-6315-4905-979B-25C1AA818AA1.png

This one seems to have the appropriate measurements!!

Totally depends on your natural humidity levels. If glass you have to make it totally bio active. If screen you can modify it and make it a hybrid with a solid back and side walls if you need to hold more humidity. Read through that husbandry program before you make a cage decision it may help you understand what you need and want to get out of an enclosure. if you decide to go with glass then @SharpShooter may be able to provide further information or even help you to know what you need for your area as he lives in England as well. I have tagged him here.

lol I like your eagerness. It totally depends on your environment. I know alot of people in the UK use glass due to their environment. I tagged @SharpShooter in my post above since he lives in England and can assist you better in that area of knowledge.

Yeah I heard glass is preferred in the UK and that’s what put me off buying a screen one in the first place! Haha I just want the best for him, he’s amazing! Thank you so much for your help I’ll wait and see what he suggests! :)

Back
Top Bottom