Humidity and shedding

Chameleoking

Chameleon Enthusiast
So we all hear a lot when it comes to chameleon shedding and how much humidity they should be getting during the time of shedding. Some say increase misting, some say lower your humidity levels. Although I know chameleons require drier air to shed properly, I have been noticing with my veiled that if I give him 95% humidity at night and no more than 30% during day ( only while shedding) he sheds easier and faster. Would love to get opinions on this topic. I believe there is a lot of people who have shedding problems and with the right answers will help a lot of chameleon care takers and a lot of chameleons health and well being as well. So please indulge.

Keep the humidity high during the night while letting the cage dry out during the day. I should have been more clear in the last post. When most people say that they are dry shedders, they are referring to the daytime only. We should aim to keep their nighttime humidity high, while making sure the cage humidity drops during the day. We should not be aiming for a dry day and a dry night to help aid with shedding. This will only cause dehydration and lead to additional shedding issues.

Great! Thanks for your input on this. What do you think of using a small fan on low. You know just enough to get a tiny breeze moving through the enclosure, only during the day as well. Do you think that would also help with shedding along with the dryer air during the day?

Great! Thanks for your input on this. What do you think of using a small fan on low. You know just enough to get a tiny breeze moving through the enclosure, only during the day as well. Do you think that would also help with shedding along with the dryer air during the day?
That is placing the fan outside the cage

Thank you for your response Klyde. So then maybe its all about air flow when shedding. You know to keep the dampness out of the air. What do you think?

IDT a fan would make much difference either way. If you normally have a fan on, I'd say leave it on as usual; if not, I wouldn't add one.

Thank you for your response Klyde. So then maybe its all about air flow when shedding. You know to keep the dampness out of the air. What do you think?
I don't do anything different for shedding than non-shedding. I have a hybrid enclosure with no assisted airflow—just the regular chimney effect.

Coincidentally, mine shed today. This morning there was no indication; by late morning his head was white; by noon the white was spreading and the shedding had begun; by lights-out, he had a brand-new set of jammies (sleeping colors). Mister went off at lights-on, "noon", and lights-off, drying out completely between mistings.

Back
Top Bottom