Humidifiers

Heika said:
Does that model have a timer on it? I have seen several people mention that they run it for x amount of time every three hours, etc.

Also, Roo, you mentioned before that you had purchased a room humidifier. Does the humidity in your tanks still drop down low enough to require the additional humidifiers?

Heika

Hi Heika,

I use the following timer with my humidifier and uv light:
http://www.reptiledirect.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=821

I have the single and dual setup, each click setting is a 15 minute run time.
Hope this helps.
Rick

Beth said:
My quesion is this...When I bought the humidifier I also bought a bottle of the treatment for the water. I haven't put this in yet because I want to make sure that it will not be harmful to my babies. Do you suggest using this treatment? Second question is how long are you running your humidifier for at a time? I bought a timer for it that can be programmed for three settings. How long would you suggest that I run it for each time?
What kind of water treatment are you talking about (which product)? Most likely it is safe.

If you are ever unsure, attempting to simulate a cham's natural environment is always a good idea. The humidity I believe will be highest in the early mornings, so similar times to what Southernmost posted above would work. As for length of time, that can vary. You don't want your cage to be constantly damp. Variables such as heat, base humidity, chameleon species, and others can help determine this. If you have not already, I recommend reading roo's article at Chameleon News.

Heika,

I use digital timers for everything. I get them at Lowes and I suggest the ones that self charge and don’t require the watch type batteries.

I run 2 room humidifiers in the pygmy room. One is the holmes model mentioned which is on a digital timer and runs a few times a day for 20 minutes at a time. The other is a different model which doesn’t require a filter and is evaporative. This one runs all day long.

I keep the humidity in that room around 60 and the tanks are a bit higher then that. I use to plumb humidifiers directly into the tanks but what’s the point when I can control the humidity in the entire room. Besides, it less maintenance not having to clean all the pool hose and three humidifiers each week.

I need to run both to keep the humidity up, keep in mind that I have a portable AC unit in the room which does dry the air out. On humid days, I don’t run the Holmes but will keep the evaporative unit running all day. As I’ve mentioned many times before, the current weather dictates what gets run and for how long – nothing is set it and forget it.

-roo

It's called "Kaz Humidifier & Vaporizer Treatment" and I bought it at the same time as I bought the humidifier. I've decided not to use it because I figure any thing that has as many warnings on it as this does can't be good for the chameleons.

can the Pro Misting System work as a humidifier as well, or do you need both? Does anyone know how to keep mist / humiditity just within the cage so it does not flow throughout the room?

where can i get a cheap cool mist humidifier? the cheapest i seen on ebay for about ten dollars for used ones .i need a new one.

I set up a system for about $45.00 and a couple hours time.

Here's about the cheapest way I found:
Sunbeam Ultrasonic 705 Humidifier or similar
http://www.sunbeam.com/productdetail.aspx?PId=261
Found at WalMart for $28.99.
1" PVC pipe, elbows, joints etc. at Lowes about $5.00-$10.00 total.
IIIWoods plug in timer-WalMart $4.95

Tools needed hacksaw and measuring tape.

It took me about an hour to set up. I recommend if you have a screen cage to somehow get the mist directly inside the cage vs. past the screen...the water will pool up on the screen and may redirect the flow of mist. I purchased pvc joints with 90 degree nozzles and put small slits in the top of the screen to push them through. You can even attach tubing to the nozzles and bring mist to other places in the enclosure. I still use a mister/sprayer on a timer for the drinking needs of my chameleon.

Pics of my setup:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=966&c=3
https://www.chameleonforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=965&c=3
https://www.chameleonforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=964&c=3

i got 2 humidifiers so i could up the humidity in the whole room ,with both them running 24 hrs they do very close to nothing ,i mean they make a cool mist but it don't increase the humidity like i need them to. today i was at walmart and seen the perfect humidifier for $80.00 if i get two of these for $160.00 i am going to have total control of the humidity i beleive 2 of these will work very well they were Holmes humidifiers they were the more better machines i plan on buying 2 of these in the future.
i understand how ducting the cool mist directly into the cage works but i have 4 cages now and it would be too much pvc piping to rig and that humidfier is 28.99 x 4 which would be $120.00 then for a extra $40.00 i could buy 2 of the powerful humidifiers if the 2 dont produce i have no doubt that 3 will for sure.

I would still pipe it into the cages because if the mist doesnt collect into a plastic bucket or container it will end up on your floor...if the floor is wood you will eventually cause mold.

these are high output humidifiers , i could put a 5 gallon bucket where the water falls is usually at the output , these 2 i have now have a spot where water falls on the floor.

Ill resurrect this

I bought a Kaz (Vicks) the other day. It sucks. I can only feel the steam for about 2 inches above the tiny hole is comes out. I keep it outside but NExt to Leos cage and its worthless. granted, I didnt pay much as its used, but Im disappointed. I would never place this one in a cage as its got steam that could cause burns.. How about the COOL MIST humidifiers?

Hey i got a humidifier for my screen cage because i needed better humidity, and i was going to try to attach a hose to it so it can go directly in the cage. How long and how many times a day should i put it on? Because ive just been trying to prep my cage and get it ready for my new cham and ive had it runninhg constantly. Because winter here sucks and i cant get any good humidity unless i leave it on constantly. Is it harmful to the cham to leave it on all the time?

Hey i got a humidifier for my screen cage because i needed better humidity, and i was going to try to attach a hose to it so it can go directly in the cage. How long and how many times a day should i put it on? Because ive just been trying to prep my cage and get it ready for my new cham and ive had it runninhg constantly. Because winter here sucks and i cant get any good humidity unless i leave it on constantly. Is it harmful to the cham to leave it on all the time?

Andrea, this thread is way too old to add too. Please start a new one under enclosures.

I got a 25 dollar humidifier from walgreens last week, it takes a twenty ounce bottle and has a mist level control...works very well. Last a while with a two liter...quite effective, pvc to guide the mist is genius though, i am gonna try it

humidifer

I bougut a cold mist humidifer vicks brand 1 gallon from walmart $30 runs from 6:00am-5:00pm has auto shutoff keeps room between 65-75% humidity i am very happy with it hope this helps!!!!!!

Hello RaiderHater :eek:
welcome to the chameleon forums

Yes
I use the humidifier to raise humidity when needed, but not as a mister replacement. A humidifier can't replace the drinking water provided by a mister.

do you use a driper? or just the misting?

where can i get a cheap cool mist humidifier? the cheapest i seen on ebay for about ten dollars for used ones .i need a new one.

I bought one from target the elephant one and modifyed it by puting a clear hose over the trunk and all together it cost like 35 bucks

Back
Top Bottom