Humid Room?

cyberlocc

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey, so I am on the cusp of starting a smallish scale, breeding project, with a few different species.

The OG plan was to use glass, as Everyone knows I am fond of glass, however being that the only misnomer in my species, is Panthers, who will tolerate the 60-75% humidity that the other species require, and all the plants and animals hail from the same general areas in Madagascar, its seemingly like a better option, is the one place the screen cage excels imo. So my thoughts have shifted, from using glass enclosures, to using fully screen enclosures and turning the entire room, into a giant Madagascan Rainforest.

The only variance then becomes heating per species, which I can deal with Via, placement and heating lights, which again we see the same "Ambient" needed across the board, with some species wanting a basking spot. I feel like I will be wasting time and money, trying to climate control each viv, when I can just do the whole room.

Has anyone done this? I realize there will likely need to be modification made, and specialty done to the room to ensure a good setup. I am curious the best way to cool the room, heat the room, control humidity (was thinking a big ole fogger) and of course a Ceiling fan to move the air, but what about paints? Should I paint the walls a special way? Any Sealing? Airflow to the rest of the house, or seal it off? ect.

Hey, so I am on the cusp of starting a smallish scale, breeding project, with a few different species.

The OG plan was to use glass, as Everyone knows I am fond of glass, however being that the only misnomer in my species, is Panthers, who will tolerate the 60-75% humidity that the other species require, and all the plants and animals hail from the same general areas in Madagascar, its seemingly like a better option, is the one place the screen cage excels imo. So my thoughts have shifted, from using glass enclosures, to using fully screen enclosures and turning the entire room, into a giant Madagascan Rainforest.

The only variance then becomes heating per species, which I can deal with Via, placement and heating lights, which again we see the same "Ambient" needed across the board, with some species wanting a basking spot. I feel like I will be wasting time and money, trying to climate control each viv, when I can just do the whole room.

Has anyone done this? I realize there will likely need to be modification made, and specialty done to the room to ensure a good setup. I am curious the best way to cool the room, heat the room, control humidity (was thinking a big ole fogger) and of course a Ceiling fan to move the air, but what about paints? Should I paint the walls a special way? Any Sealing? Airflow to the rest of the house, or seal it off? ect.

Problem is our houses aren't built for humidity on a constant level, and you risk damage if you keep your room consistently humid in the ranges that chams like.

You'd be better off building a green/hot house and using that for your project.

I think the humidity in the room might not do much good to the walls...

I know that that's why I asked how folks have solved that issue, caulked seams, epoxy paint, or whatever?

Problem is our houses aren't built for humidity on a constant level, and you risk damage if you keep your room consistently humid in the ranges that chams like.

You'd be better off building a green/hot house and using that for your project.

From what I am told, greeen houses get really hot. Like really hot.

The room is not just for chams. More pressing its for lead tail geckos, which means that ambients over 80 are fatal, and where I live it gets very cold, 15 below 0 cold.

A custom outdoor room is in the cards for later, but its going to be expensive and its going to take serious custom designing.

I know that that's why I asked how folks have solved that issue, caulked seams, epoxy paint, or whatever?

From what I am told, greeen houses get really hot. Like really hot.

The room is not just for chams. More pressing its for lead tail geckos, which means that ambients over 80 are fatal, and where I live it gets very cold, 15 below 0 cold.

A custom outdoor room is in the cards for later, but its going to be expensive and its going to take serious custom designing.

They do. Mine can spike up to 110 on a sunny 60 degree day - and thats with the window and door open. My suggestion was an indoor greenhouse! I have a small 4x6x6 palram for like $300 onsale (regret the size now.. but i use it for big plants). You could easily place one or two of those, or the bigger one, in the house. Put a layer or two on floor for insultion/condensation... and you can keep that a lot more humid without as much risk. But its kinda silly to have a gh in a bedroom heh

He could also buy the greenhouse and basically make a cow inside that way the humidity and condensation and not your loss. Would does not handle high humidity well.

Wow. I’m not going to edit that message because it’s just too good to delete.

What i meant to say (thanks siri) is you can also just buy greenhouse film and make a hoop house/frame out of pvc and greenhouse film... vs buying a kit.

Wood wont handle high humidity well, and damp / wood is primo termite conditions

He could also buy the greenhouse and basically make a cow inside that way the humidity and condensation and not your loss. Would does not handle high humidity well.

I don't know what this meant lol.

My reasoning for the project, is too fold.

1. Glass is expensive. My plan is for ALOT of cages, 3 of the 4 walls will be completely covered floor to ceiling. With screen being a 3rd of the price, thats a substantial savings.

2. It provides better ventilation for the animals, while still providing the humdity needed.

The snake people do it. I have watched 3 videos, today from ball python people saying how they raise reptile humidity, but they dont mention changes to the room

Wow. I’m not going to edit that message because it’s just too good to delete.

What i meant to say (thanks siri) is you can also just buy greenhouse film and make a hoop house/frame out of pvc and greenhouse film... vs buying a kit.

Wood wont handle high humidity well, and damp / wood is primo termite conditions

Well ya, but thats why you have the power of paint! Hahaha. If I caulk the seems, and paint with something, I am not sure what, but there has to be something. That should help solve the issue. I don't mind painting the walls, now the hardwood floor is more a concern, don't want to paint the floor, i guess I could buy a sheet of that vinyl flooring at caulk it to the walls, to seal that over the hardwood though.

I don't know what this meant lol.

My reasoning for the project, is too fold.

1. Glass is expensive. My plan is for ALOT of cages, 3 of the 4 walls will be completely covered floor to ceiling. With screen being a 3rd of the price, thats a substantial savings.

2. It provides better ventilation for the animals, while still providing the humdity needed.

The snake people do it. I have watched 3 videos, today from ball python people saying how they raise reptile humidity, but they dont mention changes to the room

Lol I have no idea what my first message meant either... siri butchered that one!

The snake guys raise their humidity to 100%? I mean my bathroom gets super high humidity with no vent - but in short bursts and then it drops back to ambient humidity (40-50). No issues with mold but my baseboards (painted and caulked) have swelled a bit and are a bit disfigured. Our basement bathroom is a real challenge - higher humidity around 50-60% normally, but the air seems to stay stagnant. Thre are some issues with mold we had to remedy (cleaning, killz). Thats with greenboard backing and tile floors.

Not saying it cant be done, but I think by the time you notice an issue, its going to be costly to repair.

If you do a whole room with high humidity how are you going to control/stop mold?

Thats what I am asking yall :), for things like that, for if anyone has done this. The snake people are not too helpful :(. They are raising humidity to 60-75% room wide, as it is easier to do that then try to raise humidity per tub of a snake rack when you have 1000 snakes.

Killz??? Might be on the list for that?

@snitz427 the floor im talking about.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/IVC-Planet...Black-698-Speckle-Low-Gloss-Finish/1001034586

Wonder if some sort of air purifier could help handle mold spores? I've also heard that some plants filter mold spores. No expert on any of that though. And obviously would still need some sort of full room sealant and ventilation system.

Lol I have no idea what my first message meant either... siri butchered that one!

The snake guys raise their humidity to 100%? I mean my bathroom gets super high humidity with no vent - but in short bursts and then it drops back to ambient humidity (40-50). No issues with mold but my baseboards (painted and caulked) have swelled a bit and are a bit disfigured. Our basement bathroom is a real challenge - higher humidity around 50-60% normally, but the air seems to stay stagnant. Thre are some issues with mold we had to remedy (cleaning, killz). Thats with greenboard backing and tile floors.

Not saying it cant be done, but I think by the time you notice an issue, its going to be costly to repair.

I was thinking the killz too.

I am not sure if I will have to raise it to 100%, like I said in our group chat.

If I put chams on the LTG misting setup, which would be like old school chams but reverse, (1 mist lights off, 1 mist middle of the night, 1 mist lights on). I might not have to do 100%, that accompanied with the Bioactive substrate and 65% Room Humidity might actually be good enough to get 85-90% humidity at night in the screen cages. I really dont know.

The snake guys, go up to 70%, and raise it more by some cocofiber in the Tub.

Wonder if some sort of air purifier could help handle mold spores? I've also heard that some plants filter mold spores. No expert on any of that though. And obviously would still need some sort of full room sealant and ventilation system.

Air Cleaner is a good idea, as for ventilation I have heard just use a ceiling fan. I stumbled upon all this today on reptile magazine, in a leaf tail article where the writer said he used screen for his leaf tails and raised room humidity to 70%. Then moved to the snake guys, who use the fully vented top racks, with high humidity rooms to have high humidity + better ventilation.

Not sure how much, or if air exchange, short of the opening of the door, 2 3 times a day would be needed, as its alot of air, and the room will be filled with bioactive vivs, and the wall that doesnt have vivs, will have a wall full of plants, IE the entire room will be filled with plants, floor to ceiling every wall.

The old idea, has them in glass cages, (3 side pvc screen for panthers only) and the plants in a custom acrylic and wood "greenhouse" thats a ton of money and weight on the floor though, compared to screen.

I was thinking the killz too.

I am not sure if I will have to raise it to 100%, like I said in our group chat.

If I put chams on the LTG misting setup, which would be like old school chams but reverse, (1 mist lights off, 1 mist middle of the night, 1 mist lights on). I might not have to do 100%, that accompanied with the Bioactive substrate and 65% Room Humidity might actually be good enough to get 85-90% humidity at night in the screen cages. I really dont know.

The snake guys, go up to 70%, and raise it more by some cocofiber in the Tub.

My chams enclosure would reach 80-90 in spots when my room was around 60s(which was a little higher than my liking still). Was the dragonstrand atrium. Had lots of substrate, plants, and misted at lights out.

60% humidity isnt too bad but 75+ I think you’re in bathroom territory. Bathrooms get very humid but only for short bursts, and then there are usually vents to help. Even still mold can be a real problem in them.

Double up on the flooring layers as condensation will form on the underside.

Killz is a good primer/sealer after the fact, not sure how good it is preventatively. That stuff is super strong though so be sure to air it out!

Pvc wanescotting/paneling will protect from surface moisture but could still get behind it to rot, so i’d avoid covering. Polyurethane?

Sorry if you already mentioned it - what is the humidity youre shooting for again?

Im assuming basements aren’t common in AZ, are they? My fam in texas say theyre non existent in the southwest, but they all have fireplaces in Houston :p

My chams enclosure would reach 80-90 in spots when my room was around 60s(which was a little higher than my liking still). Was the dragonstrand atrium. Had lots of substrate, plants, and misted at lights out.

80-90 at night? Ideally only want 60-70% during the day, so that would be perfect. 60-70% is what the snake guys do, and from I read that should not damage walls, or floor, I will still seal to be extra careful though.

Oh 65 is totally doable. My ambient house humidity can be 40-50 easily. I was thinking you were going much higher. The plants and substrate will bump up the localized humidity - I’d estimate by 10% or better.

60% humidity isnt too bad but 75+ I think you’re in bathroom territory. Bathrooms get very humid but only for short bursts, and then there are usually vents to help. Even still mold can be a real problem in them.

Double up on the flooring layers as condensation will form on the underside.

Killz is a good primer/sealer after the fact, not sure how good it is preventatively. That stuff is super strong though so be sure to air it out!

Pvc wanescotting/paneling will protect from surface moisture but could still get behind it to rot, so i’d avoid covering. Polyurethane?

Sorry if you already mentioned it - what is the humidity youre shooting for again?

Im assuming basements aren’t common in AZ, are they? My fam in texas say theyre non existent in the southwest, but they all have fireplaces in Houston :p

Yep, dont exist.

I meant covering the floor, not the walls. I could cover the walls though, with that vinyl as well.

Back
Top Bottom