Humdifier outside?

Dotchoy

I built my son a new cage for his Chameleon "a Jackson". Wife wants it kept outside. He's in a good spot on the patio. I'm running a humidifier to it but can't seem to get humidy up above 30-40%. The wind or breeze just seems to blow it out. Should I just ditch the humidifier and just install a herpmist system. Thanks. We're in san diego very nice outdoor weather.

Last edited:
Since it is outside you can attach a hose timer to your nearest hose spiket, and run misting nozzles out of that timer. If you go from a hose you don't have a need to the expensive pump that the Misting Companies sell. I was actually just contimplating the same thing, Keeping Jax outside. Just keep that hose timer set to go off several times throughout the day.

He's got a bug ficus in there right now. Theres is plenty of room on the bottom for more plants. Suggestions??? Cage is 27"x27"x48". Thanks

More plants will help. The other thing that you can do is partially or fully cover one or two sides to help keep the humidity up...

OPI

Any plants better then others to help raise the humidity. Ordered a misting system tonight:D Two sides of his cage are covered now. Should I close off a third? I thought they needed good airflow? Thanks

I'm not that familiar with Jacksons, but I would think that the weather at night would get colder than you would constantly want your Chamelon living in. I've read on these forums that particular species is montane, and can withstand some cooler temps, but I would think still during the winter it will get too cold here in so cal, someone correct me if I'm wrong?

The herpmist system would be great. I have a panther Cham which makes things a bit different for me, but just up here in riverside, I'm looking for a way to heat the misting system's water, think I'll go with an inline solution, And that's inside. So you might want to be a bit careful to avoid spraying your cham with ice cold water. When it was hotter in November my cham loved the humidifyer's mist, and it didn't bother him misting, but if it's cool he tends to avoid it and doesn't drink so I have to warm the water first.

My $.02

I built my son a new cage for his Chameleon "a Jackson". Wife wants it kept outside. He's in a good spot on the patio. I'm running a humidifier to it but can't seem to get humidy up above 30-40%. The wind or breeze just seems to blow it out. Should I just ditch the humidifier and just install a herpmist system. Thanks. We're in san diego very nice outdoor weather.

Good info. Yes if it drops down into the 50's I'll bring him in at night. Guy at the reptile store said I could use one of those red light bulbs to keep him warm at night. I'll have to put some thought into how to warm up the water.

i think two sides is good, I wouldn't do three as u know they do need good ventilation. Hibiscus is a good plant and panthos also. there is a safe list on here, the more the better!! I'm pretty sure they make in-line type H20 heaters but I'm a chick and new to this so maybe someone else will chime in on that for u!! But technically in the wild rain isn't usually "heated" but my guy prefers warm H2o for sure!!

I would not worry about the night time temps.
No heat bulb for night.
There are wild communities of Jackson's in California.
Night temps in the forties and fifties should be just fine.

Pothos would be a great plant to aid in keeping up the humidity.

-Brad

I would not worry about the night time temps.
No heat bulb for night.
There are wild communities of Jackson's in California.
Night temps in the forties and fifties should be just fine.

Pothos would be a great plant to aid in keeping up the humidity.

-Brad

Here in riverside it occasionaly will drop below those ranges during the winter, especially in Jan-Feb time frame. I meant as in 20-30's ...
The red night light wouldn't be as effective as say, a ceramic bulb that puts out no light.

I'm sure you will get it worked out :)

Back
Top Bottom