Huge YUCK!

theresaintucson

I got a shipment of superworms today. All I can say is 'YUCK BLECH YUCK". Those things are disgusting and MEAN. I can't wait for my chams to eat them.
I can't believe that I'm actually housing and feeding superworms now. A few months ago there would have been no way!

Those are the only worms I can say I actually hate to pick up. Also the only worm to ever bite me in yrs of owning chams. I hate em personally, I much prefer silks or horns and so do my chams, thank god.

I can just about cope with worms, but they really are ugly little critters, yuk. Thank heavens we don`t get hornworms in England though, now they look evil :eek::eek:

I got nipped by a fully grown Hornworm. Didn't break the skin but gave me a nice little blood blister. I've read suggestions of clipping the jaws of both horns and Super Worms with nail clippers to prevent them from biting the reptiles while they eat them.

Looks like i am the only one who hasnt got problems with them :p I breed them at home, they are my dubia colony's neighbours with some crickets and other bugs (Alphitobius diaperinus - lesser mealworm). :D Abowe them there are the locusts :D
I wish i coud have som silks or/and hornworms too :D but here comes the spring, so time to collect moths :)

I got a shipment of superworms today. All I can say is 'YUCK BLECH YUCK". Those things are disgusting and MEAN. I can't wait for my chams to eat them.
I can't believe that I'm actually housing and feeding superworms now. A few months ago there would have been no way!

Yep, I think the supper worms are the worst part of owning a cham. I don't feed mine many cause I hate'em!!!!! CREEPY!!!!:eek:

They don't really bother me. My lizards like them, and I like that they can't escape and they're easy to clean. They're also self-feeding if you forget. :D

Gotta say I prefer the supers as a staple to the crix 'cause they don't smell. I use tongs though - I don't like to handle them either.

Either way - mix it up a bit. Your Chams will appreciate it.

I give the supers as a treat. My chams almost run to the front of their cages when they see me drop the worms into their feeder cups. I noticed the supers don't smell, and that's definitely a plus.
Those things remind me of a bad Sci-fi movie...Yuck

The first time I got a look at those things, I got major chills and got completely grossed out (this is Jeannie, not Sean by the way haha. So don't go thinking Sean is a wuss! He's all about the crazy bugs!). I will pick them up and either quickly throw them into a feeding cup or hold them to the side of the cage till they latch on.

But what REALLY freak me out are the hissing cockroaches. They are absolutely ugly, disgusting and SCARY! And they are so fast! And when you touch them with anything, they hiss. One was at the bottom of Shooter's cage one day so I took a plastic cup to try to get it out, and when I touched it, it hissed really loudly and ran around the cage and I completely freaked out. Sean thought it was hysterical, me... I thought I was going to cry.

I have no problem handling bugs. I use supers and crickets as my boys staple. I have phoenix worms that I throw in every few feedings and they just disappear. I need to get some Dubai, but my wife would kill me. And horned worms grow too fast.

No hissing cockroaches for me. I'd have nightmares. Bugs shouldn't be able to make noises like that or be that big.
I am a wuss.

I know just what you mean. I'm trying to do the supers because I got a sample for free a little while back. I don't really like them but since I already have them I'm trying a few again tomorrow w/ Diego. Thankfully so far he doesn't seem to like them either! I heard the supers bite so I was taking no chances the last time I tried giving him some. I first tried to cut the head off but oops :eek: he died fast & I felt horrible. Then I tried to cut those fags off w/ a knife but that didn't go well either. I think I'm gonna invest in a pair of nail clippers just for them. I won't handle them cause I don't wanna get bit :mad: & Diego hates tongs, when I put them in a bowl they somehow get out (I'm trying a different bowl tomorrow) all and all not my fav to say the least!!! I also will NEVER do the cockroaches! I'm not found of the silks & hornworm remind me of caterpillers... so what does that leave, hummm... butterworms :rolleyes: Ohhh mealworms too but they are not good feeders & have hard exteriors so I probably won't do those. Sooo... crickets, crickets, more crickets & only a couple worms occasionally for my Diego, sorry Diego :(!!!

Yeah I made the mistake of buying 1000 supers once. It was kind of gross. Not as disgusting as crickets, but I can only deal with supers in smaller quantities like under 500. They don't really smell when they're alive, but boy do dead ones reek. They look really creepy in the stage between worm and beetle and the beetles creep me out. I really prefer hornworms and butterworms. Butterworms are my new favorite feeder. All my reptiles love them and they last a long time, so they are worth the money.

I bought 1,500 of them at the last show. Big mistake. They freaking smell like crap and eat each other. I have them in substrate they can eat with carrots and they still kill each other. Just eww. They make a room stink when they're in there.

Back
Top Bottom