HR 669 - Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act

i got a email also.i forget when.there are lots of people who do not like reptiles.they also believe breeding of these animals is cruel unless its for medical reasons or to prevent a species from going extinct.:D
over the past 3-4 years theres been a increase of breeding reptiles,animals for business and hobby and even therapy.i dont know how all this is gonna work out because i have not done the research.but i know for a fact many people dont like people having these animals next door and breeding them either out of jealousy or outright hatred of the animals they dont like it.
people relate these animals to desease and that scares people who are not educated and are educated.peta has gotten alot a power over the years and now with the green people pushing their beliefs to many people like the young people its easy to see why they want to end this to a extent.
they can twist this any way they want.for instance petstores might be able to sell some a these animals to people but it will be ilegal to breed them.
some of the more business breeders may be able to still breed with a license and they will have to get their name on a list and there might only be 10 spots on the allowable breeders list so the first 10 people on that list can breed here legally and only sell to petstores.

the price would skyrocket imagine a baby veiled selling for 150.00$
bearded dragons selling for 150.00-10,000$
it would create a underground market and only those connected to the undeground could sell them without getting in lot of trouble.
i believe its all about control.because the new adminastration is about control of EVERYTHING.
i know these animals make people happy and i hope they can still keep them and breed them.i mean i have chameleons myself and breed them.
i feel this what is it nha669 is gonna die.

That being said, they belong inside. If they are to be let out, it should be on a harness and leash. If I had a cat, it would be just that- an indoor cat with access to outside via leash. This is better for the cat as well as native species; outside is a very dangerous place to be and it is proven that indoor kittys lead much longer and more comfortable lives than their outdoor counterparts.

Unfortunately, Very few cat owners live by your example, hence I beleive what I said is not overstating it at all. Nearly all cat owners simply leave the cat to its own devices day/night, and call it for dinner. They wouldnt have a clue what its up to, how many natives its killing, whos gardens its crapping in, or where it is untill they finaly find it roadkilled in the street. Then they go buy another!
Cats are not an animal suited to a caged life, its against their very nature, thats why they are not a suitable pet.

the price would skyrocket imagine a baby veiled selling for 150.00$

LOL, I paid $450.00 for mine! At 3 weeks old!

bearded dragons selling for 150.00-10,000$

They do in NZ right now! :)

Ya better beat that bill dude!

I sent all the info to KFI news radio too. I hope they touch on this. I just dont understand why this has not been on the news yet. Imagine how many house holds that will be effected by this should it go through!!

So I tried sending my email to Congress Woman Lois Capps and when I hit send it said Iwas not in her district:confused: Does anyone have info on which congress person I am supposed to send the letter too???? I am in Orange County Cal

Why hasnt this bill hit the news?? This is pretty big since almost everyone has a pet in there house hold!

It Has! America Is brought to its Knees, The Nation is in shock!! This is

Fauna Terrorism !!! :D

Beyond dogs: H.R. 669 may spell end of "common exotics"

http://www.examiner.com/x-3118-Bost...dogs--HR-669-may-spell-end-of--common-exotics

April 12, 6:56 PM

The legislation tsunami coming from Washington D.C. is not going to start, or end, with the financial services industry.

Instead, there is an incomplete and reactionary piece of legislation that may spell the end of what I will refer to as "common exotics". H.R. 669 is a knee-jerk reaction to the current issues of invasive, non-native species.

H.R. 669 reduces the number of categories of legal tame animals to just cats, cattle, chickens, dogs, donkeys, domesticated geese, ducks, goats, goldfish, horses, llamas, mules, hogs, domesticated rabbits, sheep, and "other animals determined by the Secretary (of the Interior) to be domesticated".

The number of animals not included that currently are available in pet stores or from private breeders is enormous. Not a single pet bird is included on the list. No reptiles, which in most states dealing in native species is illegal, nor ferrets, nor any of the common rodents found in pet stores or through rescues. The bill requires an application process to add an animal to the legal list. The process requires scientific data not available for most species.

I am in the process of witnessing the damage that invasive, non-native species can cause. The bare stumps of trees left behind after the wholesale cutting of Worcester hardwoods to stop the spread of the Asian Long-horn beetle would convince anyone of the risk of invasive species. However, the beetles did not come to the United States as pets, they arrived as pests and hitchhiker's.

Before we cause irreperable damage to our ailing economy by closing down tropical fish stores in Montana, lets wrap our hands around the science of invasive species and encourage state legislatures to outlaw what needs outlawed based on the environmental risks to their own states. A dangerous invasive species in Hawaii may not last 5 minutes in the wilds of Massachusetts. A one-size-fits-all rarely does fit anyone properly.

For more info: Read more about this bill at http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-669

From the sound of this story, its a dirty trick, Almost 'open-ended legislation created by deliberate Omission' Laws ( determined by the Secretary (of the Interior)), Via a loophole.
Very Sneaky, and no doubt millions of Americans will miss its significance. Its Law by default!

See also Here

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2009/04/hr669_nonnative_wildlife_invas.php

Last edited:
i just want to make sure everyone has read the bill all the way through? out of the 22 pages, * i am very sure some of you have*

page six.

(f) ANIMALS OWNED LAWFULLY PRIOR TO PROHIBI7
TION OF IMPORTATION.—This Act and regulations issued
8 under this Act shall not interfere with the ability of any
9 person to possess an individual animal of any species if
10 such individual animal was legally owned by the person
11 before the risk assessment is begun pursuant to subsection
12 (e)(3), even if such species is later prohibited from being
13 imported under the regulations issued under this Act.

Yep, read that! But breeding said animals will still be illegal, so after they die, thats it!
Wonder what happens if you have a few clutches incubating that wont hatch till after the law is in effect? and/or gravid animals that wont 'drop' till after?
How would they know you had them though? Is there a license system that requires you to declare what you have now? Amnesty? get something certifying the animal was legally owned prior?

thats just it. the pet industry should IMO require all pet owners to have a license and every pet owner should have an inventory that he/she owns that the city keeps on record. i think it should be mandatory to take a class on pet care before you can even own ANY animal, and exotic animals should require a special license.

alot of you may not agree with me. but people that want to own these animals most of the time don't do it right. and or release animals they took on that they couldn't handle into the wild.

this bill has some merit, allthough its in the wrong direction.

honestly i don't see this passing because of how it'd affect pet stores, vetrinarians, small private business, and several other things.

Something like the above would have no way to be regulated. There are certain states that require all litters of puppies to be registered in there county (a law that was put into effect in the 80's) in some states yet there is no one inforcing it. Our Country is too broke to hire the right amount of people to be put in charge of regulating such a thing. I really can't even see how this law could possibly pass either, but I would rather be safe then sorry when it comes to action on the topic. If this goes through our conurty will be loosing an HUGE amount of annual taxes for the pet stores and vets who sell and supply products for all these animals!
I have yet to see the news pick up on this either. I know you stated it has, but if it in deed has then there is not enough press on it. Can you imagine all the children who will no longer be able to have there class room pet anymore? Or the millions of kids with a pet at home other then a dog or cat!?! It just amazes me how bad this could be if it goes through!
Here is the link to find the rep in your area. I was advised by LLL REPTILE to not only contact your rep but also contact Washington DC on the issue as well! I hope we can get enough people writing in there feelings on this!
https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

a comparison: (what the government thinks)
CHAMS
Make angry mobs that terrorise cities
Release chemicals into streams that kill fish
have sharp fangs that inflict intense pain and causes kidney failure
will eat Barrak Obama

Cats:
Are cute
eat veggies and dont harm rodents
bring you a lovely gift every afternoon

THIS BILL IS RIDICULUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¡¡¡¡¡iii

actually that would be a good thing

i just want to make sure everyone has read the bill all the way through? out of the 22 pages, * i am very sure some of you have*

page six.

(f) ANIMALS OWNED LAWFULLY PRIOR TO PROHIBI7
TION OF IMPORTATION.—This Act and regulations issued
8 under this Act shall not interfere with the ability of any
9 person to possess an individual animal of any species if
10 such individual animal was legally owned by the person
11 before the risk assessment is begun pursuant to subsection
12 (e)(3), even if such species is later prohibited from being
13 imported under the regulations issued under this Act.

ok, but the point is, you can't breed them and then that animal dies that is it, no more.

Nekro - there is an edit button for your post. :)

sorry, just getting a bit mad about this. Went to exotic animal swap today, got another Crested Gecko and just found out about this.

1 Veiled Chameleon
2 Crested Geckos

edit, btw I will go to local pet stores to tell them about this

We all are, I'm sure. This law is just too vague, and leaves too much room for interpretation that could lead to bad things.

My friend and i got the pamphlets to send to the senators and i got about 250 people to sign them and then i sent them all in. 250 People counts for about 250,000 right? usually one letter counts for 1000 people who agree with them but dont speak up. I think that helps :) plus my friend is driving up to san fran to view the voting and everything.

Back
Top Bottom