HR 669 - Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act

I'm confused as well...does he say in his letter that you should "rest assured" because he will work with members of congress to eradicate invasive species?? Doesn't that mean he's supporting the bill?? And, is he even aware that the letter you sent him was urging him to OPPOSE the bill?? Are these just phony automated letters that they send out to people without even considering what the people they are representing actually want?? I don't think we are going to be accurately represented, regardless of the letters we send opposing this thing, sadly. :(

Yah I really dont know. I did make my point to say I am not ok with this bill going through (in a nice way of coarse), but this letter makes me even more concerned that they are thinking about putting it through......

dondeb562....

dondeb562.....That letter looks like a form letter that was done well before we all got excited about the issue. It sounds like he had his mind made up to support the bill. California has several of the co-sponsers so I imagine it's been talked about at great length in your state already. I'm still waiting to see what kind of form letter I'm going to get. We don't have any invading exotics on the loose here (that I know of) but people are pretty environmentally concerned. We have had lots of battles in our state over the protection of owls, salmon, seals, eagles, etc. Has anyone in Washington state gotten any kind of response to calls, letters or email?

dondeb562.....That letter looks like a form letter that was done well before we all got excited about the issue. It sounds like he had his mind made up to support the bill. California has several of the co-sponsers so I imagine it's been talked about at great length in your state already. I'm still waiting to see what kind of form letter I'm going to get. We don't have any invading exotics on the loose here (that I know of) but people are pretty environmentally concerned. We have had lots of battles in our state over the protection of owls, salmon, seals, eagles, etc. Has anyone in Washington state gotten any kind of response to calls, letters or email?

I agree that it does look like a generic letter. I just dont like the fact that it was in support instead of saying just simply we are looking into the matter and will make a decition. Thanks for the concern,maybe that's what it really should have said....

it's a generic letter.
The tone is the same when the state release "orphan works" law.
That one law was deemed too ridiculous to pass.. but at the end, it pass.
So, I have a feeling this one will too.
I hope i am wrong...

In the bill it keeps talking about nonnative animals causing a threat to the economy? How the F does that make sense, obviously tons of people in America engage in the pet trade, especially the exotic pet trade. Not to mention, big and small businesses have benefited tremendously from nonnative animals. So the answer is, nonnative animals clearly BOLSTER the economy. By taking these animals away, millions upon millions of dollars will dissipate. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Honestly, if this bill passes then Congress must be illiterate.

Here's the rub.. Everything that congressman wrote in his letter was right. Non-native species do pose a massive drain on the economy, and are a huge problem. Thats why this bill is so scary, its flawed logic... They hold up a handful of environmental issues that are essentially valid, and because those issues are valid, they offer up this this solution which isn't valid.

The true argument against this bill is pretty simple..

Yes it is a real problem, but this is not a federal issue. It is a state issue. Guam's needs in regards to animal control are drastically different than Alaska's.

Here is another truth.. If this bill passes, the problem with non-native species will only intensify. People will break the law and continue to breed their animals. They will be forced to move them quietly on the black market, and when they have stock they can't move quickly.. they will release it into the wild! Right now if I have a giant snake I don't want anymore, I can take it to my local pet store and they will give me money for it, or I can put it on kingsnake and make money from it. $$$$ will keep people from abandoning their reptiles into the wild.

People think nothing of dumping off a box of kittens outside someone's barn because they have no financial value. Nobody dumps off.

If the market goes away due to laws like this, people will just abandon their animals to the wild.

Here is another truth.. If this bill passes, the problem with non-native species will only intensify. People will break the law and continue to breed their animals. They will be forced to move them quietly on the black market, and when they have stock they can't move quickly.. they will release it into the wild! Right now if I have a giant snake I don't want anymore, I can take it to my local pet store and they will give me money for it, or I can put it on kingsnake and make money from it. $$$$ will keep people from abandoning their reptiles into the wild.

The scary thing is, is that you're probably 90% correct. Some people might give their animals up. Most won't.

The law wont' work, but that won't stop it from passing. Here's an example of similar logic used in recent history.

This may seem way off topic, but it illustrates the way the government goes about "banning" things despite the fact that it won't accomplish anything.

The "assault weapons ban". The AWB was toted as being a way to prevent these weapons of war - these bullet-hoses - from being in the hands of criminals. People were lead to believe they were dangerous - and that they were machine guns, or high-powered rifles. They were banned.

No reduction in crimes with "assault weapons" was noticed during the ban period, and after it went away, there was no increase.

Here's where it is interesting. Just like the sponsors of this bill like to use examples of invasive pythons and brown snakes to scare people into accepting this bill, they used machine guns and watermelons filld with explosives to scare people about "assault weapons".

The bill banned nothing,really. You see, automatic rifles have been illegal in the US for over 50 years, unless you have (very) special class III permits. The weapons in the AWB were picked because they LOOKED scary - black rifles that were civilian, SEMI automatic versions of military rifles. Some weapons were banned because they had a bayonet lug. Cause it LOOKS scary.

They could present this ban to the public, and give the impression that they were banning "dangerous rapid-fire weapons that belong only on the battlefield" - but they were simply banning certain weapons for cosmetic reasons and FOOLING the public into thinking they were bannign machine guns (which have been illegal since the 20's or30's)

They functioned NO DIFFERENTLY than most semi-auto hunting or sporting rifles - except "assault weapons" LOOK scary and fired smaller, less powerful cartridges.

There was, and is, no way of banning "Assault weapons" unless you ban ALL semi auto rifles, pistols and shotguns. The bill could never do anything but piss off GOOD people.

- but they do it, because their majority of the public (just like with reptiles) are simply not knowledgable enough on the subject to know they're being fed a load of rubish by their lawmakers, and therefeore, think they're being taken care of.

So A person I know posted this letter which was received by the Humaine Society of America since the humaine society is in SUPPORT of this bill (of coarse)

Hello,

We appreciate you sharing your concerns about H.R. 669.

Please know that the bill applies to wildlife, not to domesticated animals. We are supporting changes that would clarify that domesticated gerbils, hamsters, and other domesticated animals would be exempt from the bill. We agree with you about the need for a Q&A and have posted one at: http://www.hsus.org/web-files/PDF/l...onnative-wildlife-invasion-prevention-act.pdf
"Thanks"
Sincerely,

"XY"

The Humane Society of the United States

700 Professional Drive, Gaithersburg, MD 20879

So then I went and read the q and a page... I found this info kind of funny....

What about hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, and ferrets? The Humane Society of the United States will recommend that domesticated hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, and ferrets be added to the list of animals that are specifically exempt from the evaluation process in the bill. Similarly, we will recommend adding some species of domesticated birds and fish. Even if the bill passed as written, we would expect domesticated species to be exempted by the Fish and Wildlife Service. The bill applies to nonnative wild animals

Pet hobbyist just posted this on there facebook page

PetHobbyist.com A number of members of the Congressional committee that will be holding a hearing on HR 669 tomorrow have been re-thinking their support because of what they're hearing from pet owners. There's a lot of "undecideds" and "currently re-thnkings"; click the link, then pick up the phone, folks!Congress open to persuasion on HR 669 -- so call now! - PetHobbyist.com Site Blog
Source: www.pethobbyist.com
ÂH.R.669 Will Ban Most Pet Fish, Birds, Reptiles, and MammalsToday is the LAST DAY Before The H.R. 669 Hearing!Act NOW - Click Here To Find Out How

I am sure it would be pretty quickly considering how many people/organizations are on this right now. If PIJAC does not post as soon as the verdict is in I am sure KINGSNAKE will have it.

HR669 Please take the time to call your representative today, even if you have already sent emails or letters. Please CALL TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our “pet life” depends on it! Those of you unaware of this proposed legislation go to pijac.org for all info. http://www.pijac.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1 To make it easier here are the names and the phone number of each member and what to say. You can copy and paste them into a word document and print it up.

1. Give your name and business.
2. Remind them that they are on the Subcommittee on Insular Affairs Oceans & Wildlife.
3. Tell them you want to put on record your Strong Opposition to HR669.
4. Thank them for listening to your concerns.

THEN PLEASE PASS THIS INFORMATION ON TO OTHERS

Madeleine Z. Bordallo (Ch)(NP-Guam) 202/225-1188
Neil Abercrombie (D-HI) 202/225-2726
Henry Brown (R-SC) 202/225-3176
Lois Capps (D-CA) 202/225-3601
William Cassidy (R-LA) 202/225-3901
Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) 202/225-7751
Donna M. Christensen (NP-Virgin Islands) 202/225-1790
Diana L. DeGette (D-CO) 202/225-4431
Eni F.H. Faleomavaega (NP – American Samoa)
202/225-8577 Jeff Flake (R-AZ) 202/225-2635
John Fleming (R-LA) 202/225-2777
Doc Hastings (R-WA) 202/225-5816
Dale E. Kildee (D-MI) 202/225-3611
Ronald James Kind (D-WI) 202/225-5506
Frank M. Kratovil, Jr. (D-MD) 202/225-5311
Douglas L. Lamborn (R-CO) 202/225-4422
Frank J. Pallone, Jr. (D-NJ) 202/225-4671
Pedro R. Pierluisi (NP-Puerto Rico) 202/225-2615
Nick Joe Rahall, II (D-WV) 202/225-3452
Gregorio Sablan (I- Mariana Islands) 202/225-2646
Carol Shea-Porter (D-NH) 202/225-5456
Robert J. Wittman (R-VA) 202/225-4261
Donald E.. Young (R-AK) 202/225-5765

I am sure it would be pretty quickly considering how many people/organizations are on this right now. If PIJAC does not post as soon as the verdict is in I am sure KINGSNAKE will have it.

I'll be watching a live webcast on the House of Representatives committee on Natural Resources website. That way I can see it as it's happening. If I'm allowed I can post the link if anyone wants to see it too. I'm not too sure if posting links is allowed and I don't want to break any rules.

Back
Top Bottom