HR 669 - Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act

That's odd. When I click on it the webpage comes right up. It starts at 10am but the webcast opens 10 minutes before.

Basically I googled house of representatives resourses committee. It brought up their webpage and on the lower left it says view live webcasts. I clicked there and it's scheduled for tomorrow.

Ok I just wanted to give you an alternate way in case the link still didn't work for you :)

you gotta love the HSUSA's lies of omission BS. "this applies to WILDLIFE". Yeah. sure. Whatever they determine to belong in the wild is wildlife. ...just like the government can determine which guns belong "on the battlefield".

Give the fed government power (no matter WHO is in power), and they will take away rights of individuals in some way, shape or form. They have enough as it is.

It's over for right now. That's why you can't get on:) It sounded to me no decitions were made today. I did hear alot of how this bill is flawed though! lol!

ok so who else watched??

I did.
I'm also suprised that they were not too secure that this bill is ready for prime time....
in other words, it seems that we in the pet trade/owners are not the only ones seeing that this bill is flawed.

Harry

Thanks dondeb562

Thanks for that link to the blog/informal transcript dondeb562. I could not watch it live. I think we do have a chance to bring this down if we continue to send letters pointing out the major flaws:

Only a few states have real issues but all states would be treated as if they had a problem.

Most of the talk centered around invasive species that are not connected to the pet trade (talapia, mussels, etc.). They are going to bring down the pet industry in the process of trying to save agriculture and aquaculture industries from unrelated species.

The whole system of having to go through years of work to get a species on the "approved" list is flawed. They need to focus on the "unapproved" list instead. Work on getting certain species microchipped and regulated. The sponsor from Guam said that approach has not worked in the past. Well then they need to work harder on it. If that approach has not worked then it is the individual state's fault.

I could go on and on. I'm more optimistic about this thing being defeated than I was before. If we pet owners keep hammering our side of the story I think enough of them might figure out how bad this bill is :)

They want to change the wording around on the bill so it is more clearly understood. Right now as it stands EVERYONE would be affected. There is no real wording on how to deal with if this should go through, the people who have the animals that would be illegal. As the bill stands now, if you own any of the invasive species, you are able to keep them as long as you do not move, give them away or sell them. If you should move, then the animal would need to be turned in and in most cases would be put down. There also was not a clear understanding if it WOULD actually affect the pet trade. They said it wouldn't but nothing is really specified at all in the bill.
The thing that stopped it today (which they did mention) was the amount of people (farmers, pet owners, pet stores, etc) that wrote there letters. They were surprised by the amount of attention it did in fact receive (which to me it did not receive enough but at least we got our point across!)

Back
Top Bottom