How's my cage look

Jakedn

Well, this is my first cage and I wanted to make sure I got everything right before I get my first veiled chameleon.
I have a 5.0 reptisun linear uvb light set up. I am using an automatic on/off light timer to turn the lights on at 8:00 AM and off at 8:00 PM. I am not using a basking light as it makes the cage too hot. I am using an Acurite thermometer/hygrometer to check the temperature and humidity.
I have the little dripper set to drip on to the leaves. For drainage I used a wood pot that fit the cage near perfectly and I planted a hibiscus plant in it using 1/3 coconut husk, 1/3 play sand, and 1/3 organic soil to promote good drainage. I have smooth rocks on top of the soil mixture that have been cleaned and boiled so that the little guy doesn't accidentally eat any. The water drains through the pot and onto a Sham-wow that is on top of the PVC bottom that the cage came with. I have backup Sham-wows in case I need to switch them out to wash them.
I have phosphorous free calcium with and without D3 and Reptivite with D3 for supplements. I have a large breeding dubia colony to feed out of as a staple, and will buy other feeders for variety.

How do you guys like my setup? Am I doing anything wrong or forgetting anything? Any advice or input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jake

Hey, well, one thing I noticed, is, I am pretty sure you should have a basking bulb, just a 60 watt standard house bulb would be fine.

I think you forgot to post this pictures of your cage in your thread :p. I like how your getting creative with the soil your using, if I were you though I wouldn't add loam soil in with it. The husk and sand will work fine, the soil will only hold more water and your plant will already be getting plenty of that.

Hey, well, one thing I noticed, is, I am pretty sure you should have a basking bulb, just a 60 watt standard house bulb would be fine.

This is for a baby veiled and with a basking bulb it puts my basking temp up to 90 which is too high. The uvb bulb keeps it at around mid or lower 80's which is perfect. I have a basking bulb and a clamp lamp if I do ever need one. But as of right now, socal is in kind of a heat wave.

Thanks for the input,
Jake

I think you forgot to post this pictures of your cage in your thread :p. I like how your getting creative with the soil your using, if I were you though I wouldn't add loam soil in with it. The husk and sand will work fine, the soil will only hold more water and your plant will already be getting plenty of that.

:eek: It seems I did indeed forget to post the pictures, well here they are and thank you for pointing that out!

EDIT: Oh, and I added in the soil because I didn't see the hibiscus getting the nutrients it needs out of just sand and coconut husk, and this mixture was inspired by your blog btw.

Attachments

• newcage.jpg
    newcage.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 200
You seem pretty good, but I wouldn't do the rocks because the crickets are going to hide in there and it will be a real pain to clean up when he starts poopin everywhere. Besides that it looks good.

EDIT: Oh, and I added in the soil because I didn't see the hibiscus getting the nutrients it needs out of just sand and coconut husk, and this mixture was inspired by your blog btw.

I had the same worries when I first started out all the mixtures, but as I am sure your read from my blog, the husk prevailed over the soil. I can see why you may think the plant will not receive as many nutrients, however my plants have been in a husk/sand mix for 2 months now and are still strong and healthy. But since you are still using mainly husk and sand, it should work fine. I am glad someone was inspired by my blog to try something with their own soul :).

I had the same worries when I first started out all the mixtures, but as I am sure your read from my blog, the husk prevailed over the soil. I can see why you may think the plant will not receive as many nutrients, however my plants have been in a husk/sand mix for 2 months now and are still strong and healthy. But since you are still using mainly husk and sand, it should work fine. I am glad someone was inspired by my blog to try something with their own soul :).

The only problem I am having with the hibiscus right now is that it doesn't have the light intensity it needs to thrive, so I'm getting some yellow leaves that fall off. Any lights you know of that could fix this without harming the chameleon?

I use a 5.0 and a florescent plant bulb in my female's cage, seems to keep the temps ~82-84. The hibiscus in there is doing okay, there's new growth but its still adjusting...

Back
Top Bottom