how to upgrade a cage

rango123veiled

Established Member
Hi! Im kinda new on chameleon owning, ive done my research, and im on my second chameleon. Ive had this bland cage for a while and know its horrible and want to get more leaves asap, luckily a chameleon can live in this but its not good. Id like to know some tips to make it look pretty and where to put the sticks and leaves, stuff like that

Hi! I suggest getting tons of live plants. Fill out your enclosure with them. Would you like the sheet that shows the safe list of plants to use? Then, get some reptile vines (flukers) off of amazon and put those in the enclosure at the correct height. After you do that.... go outside and gather sticks from trees. Make sure you wash them with dawn dish soap before you put them in the enclosure. Put those sticks (preferably thick) across from the vines and under them... The vines help keep them in place. :D

Hi! I suggest getting tons of live plants. Fill out your enclosure with them. Would you like the sheet that shows the safe list of plants to use? Then, get some reptile vines (flukers) off of amazon and put those in the enclosure at the correct height. After you do that.... go outside and gather sticks from trees. Make sure you wash them with dawn dish soap before you put them in the enclosure. Put those sticks (preferably thick) across from the vines and under them... The vines help keep them in place. :D
yes that would be great

1610461987799.png

Live plats are awesome!! I would also suggest supporting small pet businesses on sites like etsy. I got my cham a very cool stick-and-rope bridge thingy that was made for birds originally but that she's obsessed with -- nice wide gaps in the rungs for her to exercise. The primary thing to climb on should be live plants but it can also be cool to add some more customized elements/decorations. I have seen people also suggest finding branches outside and disinfecting them to put it their enclosures. I don't know how to disinfect them but I'm sure you could do a quick search on here to find out.

Hi! Im kinda new on chameleon owning, ive done my research, and im on my second chameleon. Ive had this bland cage for a while and know its horrible and want to get more leaves asap, luckily a chameleon can live in this but its not good. Id like to know some tips to make it look pretty and where to put the sticks and leaves, stuff like that
Personally, I wouldn't—and didn't—mess around with "decor items" (fake vines, bridges, rope... any of that 💩)—they're not necessary, and (IMO) are usually more trouble than they're worth. Live plants, a piece of ceiling egg crate on the back wall for the climbing/trailing plants, and some branches/sticks/dowels for the principal occupant to climb on are all that are needed. KISS.

Leaves? :unsure: Is that a euphemism for live plants, or are you talking about substrate?
Unless you're going full-blown bioactive, I wouldn't bother with leaf litter. IMO, the best non-bioactive substrate is nothing—just the bare enclosure bottom, drain pan—or tile sitting directly on the bottom/drain pan.

Chameleons are arboreal, so spend virtually their entire lives in the treetops. Therefore, the bulk of the "climbing decor" should—or will—be in the top half of the enclosure (using some for the rare occasions the little b@st@rd ventures floorward). Exact placement is pretty subjective—the objective being to afford opportunities for exploration, hunting, basking, hiding, and general traversing the enclosure.

Some people set up grid systems (like streets & alleys) with connecting levels. Some build elaborate spirals or radial layouts.

For some (subjectively) awesomely brilliant, clever, and/or abominably horrendous ideas, I would (and did) spend some time perusing the "Official Enclosure Picture Thread"s in the top shaded area of the Enclosures And Supplies section, and chameleon enclosure setup on google images.

There are also many equally impressive videos on YT. ;)

Back
Top Bottom