How to tell when Cham is going to lay eggs/ lay bin

Pistachiochameleon

Established Member
Woke up this morning to my Cham looking Larger than normal. Not sure if maybes she’s nearing the time to lay eggs... I have been researching laying bins but haven’t found much info on what to make them out of or how... all I have seen are these huge garbage bins that will not fit my enclosure. I know 12x12x12 is a good size... what kind of substrate? and what are signs she’s laying. If anyone has pics of their bins it would help!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 897
She doesnt look even remotely close. She will look like a lumpy potato towards the end.

She will start eating less, or at least prefer smaller feeders.

Then she starts hanging out at the bottom of the cage more, maybe even scratching at the bottom.

Then its time to "put her" in the laying bin. You dont put the laying bin in the cage.

The laying bin needs to be around the same size as the cage bottom. I used a 18" flower pot, filled it till there was only 8-10" between the dirt and the top. Then i just drilled a few spy holes in the saucer bottom and placed it on top for privacy.

For dirt every one has their own recipe. I use 1 part peatmoss/topsoil/sand. You are looking for something moist, fluffy(easy to dig), and can hold shape so the tunnel doesnt collapse. If that sucker caves in, she will start all over again with a new hole.

Once she is dont laying, its time to scoop her up and give her a good drink. After than she will be super hungry.

People who have female chameleons should realy have a lay bin in their female's cages all their lifes! I have had many, many female chameleons through the years. Predicting when they will lay and then quickly putting a bin in their cage is a game not worth playing! By then she could already be egg bound! Besides, when we mess around in their cages it stresses them out! Why would one want to stress her out when it could cost her, her life. Besides the longer the bin is in her cage the more she gets used to it and the more likely she is to go and use it when she is ready. I have even had some of my bigger female panthers (that has not been with a male in a year) not looking gravid (no gravid colors and no clubbing up) suddenly go lay a small fertile clutch of eggs. Not having a lay bin in her cage at this time could have cost her her life!

This will be the 6th or 7th lay bin I've made for Clelia, who has never been gravid to my knowledge. I took her to the vet twice, but no. The others got wet from spritzing. I've changed to the naturalistic method (misting and dusk and dawn only, fogging from midnight to dawn plus a dripper). Our problem is real estate. The cage and my apartment are just too small. She needs an XL but there isn't a place for it. Yet. She's over a year old, beautiful, smart, and likes to growl and hiss whenever we get too close. Any recommendations considering the above? An awning? More plants in the bin? Thanks.

This will be the 6th or 7th lay bin I've made for Clelia, who has never been gravid to my knowledge. I took her to the vet twice, but no. The others got wet from spritzing. I've changed to the naturalistic method (misting and dusk and dawn only, fogging from midnight to dawn plus a dripper). Our problem is real estate. The cage and my apartment are just too small. She needs an XL but there isn't a place for it. Yet. She's over a year old, beautiful, smart, and likes to growl and hiss whenever we get too close. Any recommendations considering the above? An awning? More plants in the bin? Thanks.

Are you positive your panther is a female? If its the same as your profile pic then you probably have a male...

Back
Top Bottom