how to tell the gender

ya, guys, you are rite, I hav cheetahs outside my back garden, and I come across elephents in the roads everyday, I hav to watch out tigers some times...there are wild animals everywhere. We are living like in a zoo.

we indeed are must closer to the nature than you guys are. There are sharks in the sea, that is true, there are baboons in some areas in the cape that "rob" your house sometimes definitely. But seeing cheetahs running around...mn...where do you get the idea?

LET THE CHAMELEON GO! it is that simple. What you are doing is ILLEGAL. you will kill the animal if you keep it in the environment its in. And if tha doesn't kill it, the stress from being captured, oogled at, and the host/parasite balance will be thrown off by not eating ensuing death. 1 month tops.

I'm sorry i had to be blunt but it seems that this is the only way to get your attention.

If you found it in your garden, how rare can they be?

Well, they're CITES Appendix II now, so I figure they're probably not on the verge of extinction, but they're probably quite rare as chameleons go.

When I tell people that I have a pet chameleon, they usually have the same response: "When we were kids, we always used to play with chameleons that we found in the veld or in our garden. These days you just don't see them anymore, do you?"

And that's the situation. It is quite rare to see a chameleon in the garden these days. But there are more and more gardens every year as the cities expand.

Nothing to insult and it doesnt mean I wont let the cham go, just want to know if the chams your guys bought from pet store are all breeded? not captured and sold to the pet store then end up in your cage?

In the US and Europe, the trade in wild-caught chameleons is quite extensive.
Sources state that 476000 chameleons were exported from Africa (including Madagascar) to the US and Europe between 1993-1998.
With the pet reptile industry even bigger a decade later, I'm pretty sure the number of animals exported now is even larger.

Most of these wild-caught animals are distributed to pet stores, or online retailers. Most of them have a very short lifespan in captivity.

However, you'll find that the majority of keepers on these forums have Veiled chameleons or Panther chameleons. These two species in particular are bred extensively in captivity, and it is these captive-bred populations that make up the majority of animals in the pet trade.
In fact, the pet trade of chameleons has grown so much in the US, that breeders there have really large-scale breeding programmes. In fact, Jim Flaherty of the Chameleon Company said that he bred and sold about 6000 chameleons in the last year!
Correction... Jim did not breed 6000 chams last year: "Our goal with the one greenhouse is about 6000 per year. We aren't there yet." Still, it's a big operation.

All of the online retailers, and most of the pet stores will indicate to the buyer whether the animal is captive-bred (CB) or wild-caught (WC). Most of the information you will find on the 'net, as well as the advice given on these forums, discourages keepers from buying WC chameleons. They do not do well in captivity, and are best left for experienced breeders/researchers who are trying to establish new captive-bred populations.

In South Africa, the legal situation regarding indigenous/wild-caught reptiles is still a bit uncertain, because various provinces have different requirements.
For instance, in Gauteng, not only is it illegal to keep indigenous reptiles, it is also illegal to catch them or to transport them.
It is highly unlikely that you will find any pet stores selling indigenous, wild-caught chameleons in South Africa.
The various branches of the Department of Agriculture have adopted quite a hard-line approach to the wild animal trade, and in the last couple of years, they have begun to focus on reptiles. There is still trade of wild-caught SA reptiles occurring, in particular venomous snakes, but the industry has become a lot more regulated, with the SPCA getting involved too.

At all the reptile expo's I've attended in Johannesburg in the last year, the only chameleons for sale were captive-bred Veiled chameleons. Some breeders are working with Jacksons and Panthers, but they haven't really come onto the general market yet.

So, the bottom line is that there is NO justification for keeping a wild-caught chameleon (with the exception of Hawaii maybe, where they have become a pest almost).
In fact, by supporting pet stores and breeders that sell captive-bred chameleons, you help support the development of more captive-breeding programmes. If enough captive-breeding programmes exist to sustain the pet industry, this might eventually help to slow or halt the removal of wild-caught specimens from their natural environment.

Last edited:
Hi. So I found a baby Eastern Cape Dwarf Chameleon in my back yard, I got it on the 10/5/2020 I just need some advice, as for I have never owned a baby Chameleon, but I have owned Chameleons before.

I am just worried, because it is drinking, but not eating. I have been having to force feed it some small flies.

I am having to keep him/her in a fish tank as for were i live is in a very remote place and have no place to get stuff like a special tank and stuff like that.

Just one more thing how do i tell the sex of it.

I am really sorry for the bad quality.

Attachments

• 20200516_153630.jpg
    20200516_153630.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 20200516_153702.jpg
    20200516_153702.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20200511_133636.jpg
    20200511_133636.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 62
Hi. So I found a baby Eastern Cape Dwarf Chameleon in my back yard, I got it on the 10/5/2020 I just need some advice, as for I have never owned a baby Chameleon, but I have owned Chameleons before.

I am just worried, because it is drinking, but not eating. I have been having to force feed it some small flies.

I am having to keep him/her in a fish tank as for were i live is in a very remote place and have no place to get stuff like a special tank and stuff like that.

Just one more thing how do i tell the sex of it.

I am really sorry for the bad quality.
This is a very old thread so your more then likely not going to get many replies here.... I suggest releasing it back into its natural environment. The chance of it surviving in captivity is low especially when it is put into a fish tank.

Back
Top Bottom