How to tell if a veiled is carrying eggs?

Ferrah88

Since I am inexperienced in the world of chameleon moms, I would like to know what I should look for in order to determine whether of not a chameleon is carrying eggs. Is there a way to tell... either be feeling her side (or near the back legs?) or looking or in general some typical behaviour of a chameleon carrying eggs?

The reason I am asking for this information is because my veiled Yuki is 1 year and around 3-4 months old already and has yet to lay eggs. She has her bin and everything, but has never went close to the lower reaches of her vivarium or anything.

Either I am doing something really right or wrong in her care if she has not yet produced eggs! I have, admittedly, not been feeding her as much as Marimo (our male elliotti) and keeping her basking temperature at an acceptable temp to reduce the chance of her carrying eggs. By all means she is not malnourished either, no worries about that! I think this combination is working really well for her.

Hopefully someone can provide me with some insight! A comparison picture, if possible, would also do wonders in my understanding.

Thank you in advance!

I've read that lowering temps and less feedings can decrease/prevent females from having clutches.

I've even heard/read someone had a female that never laid a clutch her whole life!

Anyway, as long as she has a laying bin available to her, she should be fine. Obvious indicators of needing to lay would be a change in her eating habits (either increasing or decreasing) and/or pacing or wandering the bottom of her enclosure.

There should be an obvious bulge or growth in her lower abdomen area.

The 2nd picture was taken today. She has an obvious bulge above her hind leg area, but it still feel soft and squishy. The eggs are still forming.

The 1st picture is of her probably a week or two before she laid her 1st clutch. The eggs were VERY obvious and can be felt. She looked like she was going to EXPLODE, it freaked me out.

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 3,080
  • preggycami.jpg
    preggycami.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,384
Awesome, thank you for the pictures, they are very helpful! :D

Our cham is as I stated, over a year old (guesstimate 3-5 months over the 1 year mark) and hasn't had any eggs. She still has no indication of anything happening in places where eggs should be visible (if she was carrying) so that is a relief! I would prefer it if she didn't have any eggs as I want her to live a nice, happy life without the stress of any unnecessary laying. So far so good it seems! If I plan on breeding her in the far future, things will be different. But for now, I have no intentions. First learning, then doing when I feel comfortable enough :D and obviously have the supplies/time/money on the side for it.

Thanks again for the information, it was very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom