How to take wax off pothos???

I saw a nice cheap pothos at shoprite the other day and know I have to repot in organic soil but how do I get all the wax stuff off the leaves? I looked in other threads and couldn't find anything. If there is a thread, please point me to it. If not, please just give some advice on how to go about getting the plant ready for Clara to have in cage. Also, would getting the plant at Whole foods organic market be better?

i dont think ive seen one with wax on it but faintly remember hearing of such a thing to keep the leaves shiny or somthing. i would have to say though no to get a plant with wax on it. there are plently of stores that sell normal wax free pothos. i couldnt imagine trying to remove wax froma plant without destroying it.

Are you sure there's wax on it???
The plant naturally has waxy leaves.
I have never heard of this with a pothos.

-Brad

At a quick glance, I read this thread title as 'How to take Wax Moth Photos'! Me thinks it's bed time, lol! :D Either that or I need to get my eyes tested! :D

Pothos, like all plats have a palicade layer and a spongy mesohile layer. The palicade layer (upper layer) is layered much in the same way you skin is. The outer most layer is called the "waxy cuticle" and is the plant equivalent to our own epidermis. The name "waxy cuticle" pretty much sums up its appearance. Pothos leaves have a natural luster to them. What you are seeing is not a commercial grade wax, but rather a naturally occurring waxy cuticle, which is not harmful to your chameleons. Yay, finally a post where my education in horticulture pays off!:D Good luck,

-Cala-

Some nursery actually use a leaf shiner.
Although Calavera is correct with the whole natural plant's wax, I would still be cautioned here.
http://www.plant-care.com/cleaning-indoor-plants.html
http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestor...m=cpc&utm_term=106328&utm_campaign=googlebase

You can just buy the pothos at some other place if you worry. Pothos is quite easy to get pretty much anywhere compared to other plants.
and remember to prep it before introducing the plants into the cage.

Use standard method by dunking the plant upside down in a tub filled with soapy water solutions and swish it around.
take the plant out and let it dry in the sun for 5 minutes.
Rinse the plant well with water.
Repeat for 3 - 5 times.
Change the soil with an organic potting soil.

Back
Top Bottom