How To Sex Baby Panthers

I'm going to be purchasing this chameleon tomorrow, he sent me pictures of the chameleon. I think it's a male but I just want to be sure before I buy it.

Attachments

• IMG_0994.JPG
    IMG_0994.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 255
The topic comes up all the time so I figured it was about time to have a thread that can be linked to. Panthers can be easily sexed fresh out of the egg based on the taper of the tail base. Trying to guess sex based on color can work but is not as reliable. In my experience, some females' tails will become thicker around 2 to maybe 4 months old and this method becomes a little less easy to compare but when they're small it is very accurate.

Baby males are not sexually mature and thus do not have a hemipenal bulge. They do, however, have a space for the hemipenes to develop into. When viewed from the side, with the tail held straight back, the profile from the tail across the vent to the belly is almost a straight line in males. Here are pics of two males:

1 hour old:

male.jpg

1 week old:

male2.jpg

The tail base of females has the same shape in babies as adults. It is more thin which makes the profile seem like there's an indention just before the vent.

female.jpg

What happen to the pictures?

Hi everyone this is my new panther chameleon the breeder told me it's a boy but I wanted to make sure. Can you confirm it or you think it may be a girl:D
20170815_172844.jpg
20170805_165426.jpg

You need to provide a side view of your chameleon to sex it. But I see greenish on it so it could be picking up some colors to it.

male or female also i am not sure of its age thinking 3-4 months old just had its 2nd shed in my care also i don't know the local
PHOTO_20170820_164649.jpg

male or female also i am not sure of its age thinking 3-4 months old just had its 2nd shed in my care also i don't know the localView attachment 188883

This is an old post and you probably already know but it is a female. She is old enough to show female patterns and coloration. Her tail base is also very thin, anus area bulges out compared to the tail base.

Hey everyone! I'm in the market for a panther chameleons and am hoping to purchase one from a great little local shop near me. They have a juvenile Nosy Be, which is already showing some pretty great blues for its age. I've attached a couple of (not great, but hopefully not the worst) photos and was hoping you guys could help me out trying to sex the little bugger! Whadya think? Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• IMG_7935.JPG
    IMG_7935.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_7933.JPG
    IMG_7933.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_7934.JPG
    IMG_7934.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_7936.JPG
    IMG_7936.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 198
Hey everyone! I'm in the market for a panther chameleons and am hoping to purchase one from a great little local shop near me. They have a juvenile Nosy Be, which is already showing some pretty great blues for its age. I've attached a couple of (not great, but hopefully not the worst) photos and was hoping you guys could help me out trying to sex the little bugger! Whadya think? Thanks in advance :)

Hi there. Just by the colors you have to be shure it's a handsome boy. Really good colors for his age, be sure it's a him.
Regards

i believe female but I'm I'm new to this, the kent vent technique that I've been exposed to, should show some sort of advancement from the vent though the tail but there is a very clear indent and i don't see the hemi penal bulge

Back
Top Bottom