how to remove

naich

my water has some kind of red gunk in it. It started on the leafs now it on my chameleon. Hes an adult panther male. He has a decent build up when the misters go off, then it washes off after a few hours and the remaining gunk dries.......how can i stop this?

get the plant out of the cage as for the chameleon i would say wipe it off and put some water on it but i dont know much about this but you need to remove the plant

I agree. My daughter had a similiar problem in the new house she bought. There was residue on the toilet, sinks, and tubs. Really bad. She ended up putting first 1, then 2 filters in, and that solved the problem. If you need to know exactly what kind of filters i'll get in touch with her. I don't remember. Do you notice it anywhere else in the house? In the mean time buy some bottled water and use that.

comes from what lake????? yes i have acsses to drinking water...everyone in my state does???

so how do i dessipate the minerals doing this.Distilled water is a little too expensve....over 1 dollar a dayish.

do you not know where rain comes from?

Provided that he did not get the rain water in these situations:
1. One that already touched the ground contaminated.
2. The rain water is collected in an environment with heavy air pollutions.

I don't see the reason why he cannot use rainwater for his chameleon.
In fact, I remember Dr. Stein (at one of the SBCK meeting) mentioned the benefit of letting your chameleon soak in the rain once in a while.
You can drink rainwater, you know. :)
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/wea00/wea00044.htm

Last edited:
i wouldnt as it comes from the lake.

Your right Clea but that is just a microscopic amount. Rain mostly comes from oceans, 75% of the earth is covered in water so our rain most likely comes from the oceans.;)

Naich what happens if you leave your water running for a few min? Does the color go away? Just like Tod said, your pipes may be rusted.

-Clemonde

You said "The Lake" as if you were referring to a certain lake.
It's not the fact that the water evaporates from "the lake" its the pollution the rain drops collect as they fall thru the polluted air. "The Lake" has nothing to do with the why you shouldn't use rain water.

You didn't know that?

Last edited:
It really surprises me that some people can be paranoid enough to think a chameleon cannot drink rain water. Rain water just might be the best water you could possibly provide so long as the precautions dodolah listed are followed.

Lighten up people, chameleons are much hardier than we give them credit for.

You said "The Lake" as if you were referring to a certain lake.
It's not the fact that the water evaporates from "the lake" its the pollution the rain drops collect as they fall thru the polluted air. "The Lake" has nothing to do with the why you shouldn't use rain water.

You didn't know that?

well sorry you didnt understand it tod

did you know that?

Your right Clea but that is just a microscopic amount. Rain mostly comes from oceans, 75% of the earth is covered in water so our rain most likely comes from the oceans.;)

Naich what happens if you leave your water running for a few min? Does the color go away? Just like Tod said, your pipes may be rusted.

-Clemonde

If the source water is from a well and it is untreated it may contain ferric iron.
The water will be clear until the iron precipitates out of solution.
Or you have an iron pipe in your plumbing that needs replaced.

Back
Top Bottom