How to reduce stress when you want to change cage interior?

foxngn

Hi All,

I just got mine veiled chameleon like a week+ ago, a juvie size but not sure the exact age.

I know that my cage is not fully done with the rearrange yet, as I foresee I will need to re-arrange for another once or twice again only it could complete.
At the current stage I'm not sure how familiar is my chameleon react to me, but if i lay my hand to him it will climb over itself and keep wanted to climb above me.

So at the point, if i want to do some makeover, should I do it with him in cage(sometimes it doesn't wants to get out) OR i should move it to another plant outside of cage while i rearrange?

Another concern i got it, will changing the environment again will force it to stop eating and need to wait for few day for it to readjust the new environment?
Even since I got him back, i had been placing those feeder bug in a plastic tub and it will go eat it by itself without any issue.

Thanks

I have a travel box that is dark. I place mine in there when I need to make major changes. He is then safe and secure. I am not able to put mine on a plant to free range because he will climb down. I would rather focus on cage changes and not trying to watch him at the same time.

He may or may not go off food for a few days while he readjusts to the changes. They are all different with what they will tolerate.
This is a great husbandry program that will walk you through set up and how to provide what.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Im with Beman, do not rearrange or clean cage with cham inside. Either put in a shoe box with a stick running through it and some holes (or a cat carrier with a stick and a towel over the front), or have someone babysit the cham in its favorite free range tree while you do the deed.

The should not hunger strike unless you completely rearrange the cage AND lighting AND feeder area, like weekly. Then they will spend the entire time finding their "spots" all over again, only to have them ripped away in another few feedings.

ine in there when I need to make major changes. He is then safe and secure. I am not able to put mine on a plant to free range because he will climb down. I would rather focus on cage changes and not trying to watch him at the same time.
Im with Beman, do not rearrange or clean cage with cham inside. Either put in a shoe box with a stick running through it and some holes (or a cat carrier with a stick and a towel over the front), or have someone babysit the cham in its favorite free range tree while you do the deed.

The should not hunger strike unless you completely rearrange the cage AND lighting AND feeder area, like weekly. Then they will spend the entire time finding their "spots" all over again, only to have them ripped away in another few feedings.

Noted with thanks.
So far previously I did try to place it inside a bucket, i did place him on a free ranging plant, but only short while for a few minutes so far its been a modern citizen just stay on the plant without moving.
Maybe I should try to place it again on a plant, if is gonna climb down only i'll place it back into a bucket.

As for my setup, I won't do drastic changes, the existing stuff won't be move. Only will add more branches and plant.
I read from the link given, there's a eating branch that was in, but my cham currently will always eat from the tub on the ground that I had prepared previously.
Not sure is it a good idea to switch the tub by hanging it on branches or not.

Noted with thanks.
So far previously I did try to place it inside a bucket, i did place him on a free ranging plant, but only short while for a few minutes so far its been a modern citizen just stay on the plant without moving.
Maybe I should try to place it again on a plant, if is gonna climb down only i'll place it back into a bucket.

As for my setup, I won't do drastic changes, the existing stuff won't be move. Only will add more branches and plant.
I read from the link given, there's a eating branch that was in, but my cham currently will always eat from the tub on the ground that I had prepared previously.
Not sure is it a good idea to switch the tub by hanging it on branches or not.
Mine ate from a tub on the ground the first 3 months I had him. It was what he was familiar with and I was new so I kept it that way for him. I then switched to a feeder run that he ate from without issue. He would see the crickets moving on it and go for it.

Mine ate from a tub on the ground the first 3 months I had him. It was what he was familiar with and I was new so I kept it that way for him. I then switched to a feeder run that he ate from without issue. He would see the crickets moving on it and go for it.

I guessed i just dont want to rush anything at the moment. Just wait for the next revamp till finish then I'll left the feeder tub on the ground for a certain of time before i hang it up.

His main diet right now it just dubia with occasionally snack of mealworm.

I guessed i just dont want to rush anything at the moment. Just wait for the next revamp till finish then I'll left the feeder tub on the ground for a certain of time before i hang it up.

His main diet right now it just dubia with occasionally snack of mealworm.
I would add more variety to his feeders. Mealworms could be replaced with super worms which are healthier.

chameleon-food(1).jpg

I would add more variety to his feeders. Mealworms could be replaced with super worms which are healthier.

View attachment 324569
Hey! I had been told that waxworms aren’t good to feed my chameleon. Could I have possibly been told that because he’s a veiled? I know all chameleons have little differences in what they need & husbandr. They told me waxworms are hard for them to digest and causes gastrointestinal problems. Were they being dramatic or maybe have false info? Like it’s technically not bad for them when you give it them in moderation as a snack, the people are just dramatic & say not to do anything that COULD be bad for them. Not even as a snack even though it’s okay. Or are they even bad at all?

Hey! I had been told that waxworms aren’t good to feed my chameleon. Could I have possibly been told that because he’s a veiled? I know all chameleons have little differences in what they need & husbandr. They told me waxworms are hard for them to digest and causes gastrointestinal problems. Were they being dramatic or maybe have false info? Like it’s technically not bad for them when you give it them in moderation as a snack, the people are just dramatic & say not to do anything that COULD be bad for them. Not even as a snack even though it’s okay. Or are they even bad at all?
So waxworms are just sacks of fat... So nutritionally they are not the best staple feeder. However this does not mean that they could be fed here and there as a snack. If the cham is overweight then of course you would not want to feed them at all. There are better feeders which are considered staple feeders as you can see on the image.

1 thing I'm afraid of superworm is, they might bite cham, thus I don't use it. It size also larger than my cham.
But I did offered my cham with BSFL, it ate it instantly.

1 thing I'm afraid of superworm is, they might bite cham, thus I don't use it. It size also larger than my cham.
But I did offered my cham with BSFL, it ate it instantly.
I feed my chams superworms and have noticed that with them and all worms, they aim for the head first. Silkworms are awesome additions as staple feeders…come in smaller sizes, don’t bite, very nutritious and hydrating.

Back
Top Bottom