How to monitor hydration??

mikeb666

hey guys,

as my chaleleon doesnt seem to be drinking much at all. He tends to lick sticks a little but they are normally ones that arent actually wet!!

What are the best ways to monitor hydration??

I know you can look at the eyes, mouth, body condition and fecal matter. But what do u look for in each??

many thanks

Mike

He tends to lick sticks a little but they are normally ones that arent actually wet!!

This doesn’t have to do with hydration. I totally forgot what it is but it may have to do with scent marking and such. Maybe one of the “cham brainiacs” like Chris will chime in on it.

For checking hydration …

Urates should be bright white surrounded by a clear “gel like” material. A little orange/brown tinge at the end where it meets the fecal matter is pretty normal IMO.

Body condition (aka skin): When lightly grasping the skin and releasing, the skin should go back into its original place – if it doesn’t and stays wrinkled then that could be a sign of dehydration. I think a badly dehydrated cham would show actual “body condition” problems other then the skin condition I just mentioned.

Eyes should be full/rounded and not sunken in.

When opening the mouth, there shouldn’t be any stringy mucus – another potential sign of dehydration.

Did I miss anything … seems like I did. Someone please chime in if I did or if something is incorrect.

Now I personally wouldn’t get in the habit of forcing open the mouth or pinching the skin but rather focus on the eyes and urates.

-roo

Back
Top Bottom