How to make my chameleon warm up to me?

Grace McAuley

I understand that chameleons are shy and aren't particularly friendly however, some lucky few have super friendly chameleons. Is there any way to help my Chameleon, Rango, get more used to me? I hope to make him comfortable enough so that he can come out of his enclosure and climb on some of the plants in my house. Any advice?

What is the species of your chameleon? Chameleons will normally never want to get out of their cage (unless there is a problem), but occasionally a few will tolerate being handled.

Maybe we could go over your setup and care before trying to handle the little dude, to make sure everything is going good?

Fill out this form, be specific with your answers. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Since @Brodybreaux25 is having a temporary disfunction :)
maybe this will help...
Move slowly when around him and putting your hand in the cage. Offer him food on your hand or from tongs.
If you take him out of the cage, don't cup your hand over him...let him walk onto your hand (or even a stick) while putting one hand behind him to encourage him to move forward onto the stick or your hand.
Hope this helps!

maybe this will help...
Move slowly when around him and putting your hand in the cage. Offer him food on your hand or from tongs.
If you take him out of the cage, don't cup your hand over him...let him walk onto your hand (or even a stick) while putting one hand behind him to encourage him to move forward onto the stick or your hand.
Hope this helps!
Excuse you?

maybe this will help...
Hope this helps!
Thank you! This helped so much!

maybe this will help...
Hope this helps!

Bring him outside for a while when the weather is nice and let him climb in a bush. Hand feed him his favorite foods, and most importantly give him time to acclimate. He needs to know that you’re safe and should associate your presence with something positive.

Here's the method that worked for me...

Find him a nice tree to sit outside of his cage. Keep it in his room next to the cage so he gets comfortable with it. After a few days, put it directly in front of the cage with the door open so he can walk to it. Chameleons are natural explorers, so eventually he'll start making his way out to the tree. When he begins darting towards the tree as soon as you open the door, then begin putting the tree a few feet in front of the cage and let him walk along your arm to the tree. Keep this up and he will just begin associating your arm with the tree.

Back
Top Bottom