How to make my chameleon start liking me

Barson

I’ve had Marvin for 2 weeks now and I’m looking to start taking him what are the best methods? If I put my hand near him he hisses at me.

I’ve had Marvin for 2 weeks now and I’m looking to start taking him what are the best methods? If I put my hand near him he hisses at me.
@Beman post is very good! I’ve had my guy for 2 months and he still does not like me. It can be a very long process lol. He is not motivated by food either and I am ok with that. I would rather have a healthy Cham than a stressed out one from improper handling. Good luck!

@Beman post is very good! I’ve had my guy for 2 months and he still does not like me. It can be a very long process lol. He is not motivated by food either and I am ok with that. I would rather have a healthy Cham than a stressed out one from improper handling. Good luck!
Yeah it is a crap shoot since they all are individuals with their own personality. What works on one may not work on another. But the key to it all is patience and not pushing them. Which you are doing a great job with. :)

I've had my guy for about 2 months now, he is still very young, **maybe** 4 months old, and the best I can say is that he "tolerates" me :ROFLMAO: and even then if I stay in front of his enclosure for too long he gets annoyed and hides from me. It's just all in their personality and what motivates them. Like Jan said food is usually the main motivator, but mine is also not food motivated lol

Cosmic is a panther, so a more sociable breed. For him, I used a tree. I picked up a tree at Home Depot, and put it right in front of his enclosure with the door open so he could climb onto it from inside his enclosure. I’d check on him every few minutes, and eventually he’d be on the tree. At first, I was able to kind of herd him back into his enclosure. My intent was to limit any stress on him, so I didn’t want to handle him yet.
Eventually, he got really comfortable with the tree. I’d open his enclosure and he’d run right out. So I moved the tree out of reach of his enclosure, and when he’d come running, I’d give him a hand bridge to the tree.
I continued to move the tree back until he’d have to climb onto me and I’d bring him over. Now, as far as he’s concerned, I am the tree. It’s just important to try and gove him positive experiences when he’s coming out.

I wonder this very thing as I just brought Clarice outside and experienced the joys of a bipolar angry happy female veiled.

“I love it out here!” “I hate your stinking guts! Why are you eyeballinng me!?” “It’s so beautiful, the air so fresh!” “If you point that finger at me again I’m going to bite it off and stick it in your EYE!”

Such a sweetiepie.

I wonder this very thing as I just brought Clarice outside and experienced the joys of a bipolar angry happy female veiled.

“I love it out here!” “I hate your stinking guts! Why are you eyeballinng me!?” “It’s so beautiful, the air so fresh!” “If you point that finger at me again I’m going to bite it off and stick it in your EYE!”

Such a sweetiepie.

Never thought I'd have so much in common with a chameleon

Mine used to hate my guts, he hated all people or anything with hands and was constantly trying to lunge hiss or gape at me when I was cleaning his cage. With time I spent hours on end in front of him, not provoking him, but just near his cage where he could see me, and made it known that I wasn't there to harm him and he slowly but surely would come around eventually. Then I started leaving the door open and he started coming out to see me standing on the top of the door, eventually I started sticking my hand in there so he could get used to it and last month he finally willingly came to me and has been now for quite a while... Though he still is a grump to others and tried to bite my neighbor, one thing I learned is to not pull away when they hiss, it gives them power over you. Hopefully you find this helpful and it will help you build a bond with your cham!

Back
Top Bottom