How to know when to put laying bin in cage

Make sure to cover her cage with a towel or blanket if you see her digging. They tend to like their privacy during this time and if disturbed may stop digging and become egg bound. I know a lot of female keepers buy nanny cams to watch the activity their girls are doing so as not to disturb them.

Make sure to cover her cage with a towel or blanket if you see her digging. They tend to like their privacy during this time and if disturbed may stop digging and become egg bound. I know a lot of female keepers buy nanny cams to watch the activity their girls are doing so as not to disturb them.
Egg bound? Whats that

Respectfully, you really need to study this. You should know all this already.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/
Would this be good? 50.2 liter and natural play sand
image.jpg
image.jpg

As soon as my females are plump, and stop eating for me was the day, I put up a cut sheet over half the viv, cut a 5 gallon bucket in half, filled with damp playsand set it under a few branches .... blammmooo it worked perfect and will everytime

I thought she was a boy until recently :/ im still learning just like everyone else on here sorry
Your good. Yes that sand is fine. Put 6” in the can and cut the can about 2” above the sand line. Then take a SMALL drill bit, like 1/16” or 1/8”, and drill 5 or 6 small holes around the very bottom of the bin. Add your water and mix until the sand has the same moisture in it as you would use to build a sand castle at the beach. If it is collapsing at all it’s too dry, add water. The tiny holes you drilled will allow any excess moisture to drip out. Place the bin in her viv and leave it there as a permanent part of her viv. This eliminates the guess work of trying to time her reproductive cycle every time she needs to lay. By leaving it there she can go whenever she’s ready.

Her stomach area’s big and looks like theres eggs in it. Do i just put the bucket in the cage
If you can, go for at least 12 inches wide as well as depth. It's best to leave the bin as a permanent part of the setup and I use a mix of play sand and organic top soil. Take care to keep it moist enough to hold a tunnel but not too wet.

Some people have a lay bin outside, usually much bigger and I keep one ready just in case I need to transfer to it for any reason.

As for your question of when, it's her behaviour that will be the main indicator. She will slow down on eating, taking much less than normal. She will be very restless, all over the place and spending more time low or at the bottom, looking for the best spot to lay Mine goes so dark that she's almost black.

If the bin is available to her, she will check it out and dig test holes.

You MUST give her privacy now as any disturbance could cause her to abandon the hole. Put up some form of cover, a board or sheet or large towel.

Try to not disturb her at all (you are going to look but try not too). If she's backed into a hole, stay well away until she's finished. Little home cams are great for this.

When she is done and she's climbed back up to her branches, make sure she can drink and offer some food.

It's really important to keep females well supplemented due to the extra demands egg creation and laying take.

When all done, dig out and remove the eggs to dispose of them if not viable.

Good luck.

If you can, go for at least 12 inches wide as well as depth. It's best to leave the bin as a permanent part of the setup and I use a mix of play sand and organic top soil. Take care to keep it moist enough to hold a tunnel but not too wet.

Some people have a lay bin outside, usually much bigger and I keep one ready just in case I need to transfer to it for any reason.

As for your question of when, it's her behaviour that will be the main indicator. She will slow down on eating, taking much less than normal. She will be very restless, all over the place and spending more time low or at the bottom, looking for the best spot to lay Mine goes so dark that she's almost black.

If the bin is available to her, she will check it out and dig test holes.

You MUST give her privacy now as any disturbance could cause her to abandon the hole. Put up some form of cover, a board or sheet or large towel.

Try to not disturb her at all (you are going to look but try not too). If she's backed into a hole, stay well away until she's finished. Little home cams are great for this.

When she is done and she's climbed back up to her branches, make sure she can drink and offer some food.

It's really important to keep females well supplemented due to the extra demands egg creation and laying take.

When all done, dig out and remove the eggs to dispose of them if not viable.

Good luck.
thanks :)) shes all covered up i read that i should only be covering half of the cage on all sides so that she can still get air hopefully everything goes good

Back
Top Bottom