How to keep misting reservoir clean and algae free?

WashingtonCham

Established Member
I was curious if anyone has any tips on how to keep your misting reservoir clean. I have the water conditioner but is this good enough? And how much water do you normally run through your reservoir before doing a deep clean? I want to put more than a gallon or two in there but I don’t want to risk the water sitting to long and becoming stagnant. Is there a certain conditioner people recommend or something better? Thanks for any advice in advance.

What type of mister do you have? I use 2 monsoon multi systems and to keep algae down you can use RO water witch also helps prevent the calcium buildup on the nozzles. Make sure you clean them out well at the beginning and then you should be fine. I usually clean out the bin every couple weeks but honestly there isn't anything in the bin since I only use RO. If you use tap water then you will have algae growth quickly and there will be a notice slime feel to the bucket. You shouldn't use tap water anyway unless you have a really good home filter system. The rule of thumb is that the water should be something you would be ok with drinking at the very min.

I have a 5 gallon bucket with a sealed lid for my Mistking and I use distilled water so not sure when or why you would need to do a deep clean. As long as sunlight isn’t penetrating through then you won’t have any issues with algae.

Light is your enemy, it's also algae & other $h!ts best friend ,lol. You want your reservoir to be black, dark or simply not getting direct light (of any kind really). Every so often tho you might want to run it down to a couple inches of water, dump that, rinse it & just wipe it down with a cloth, no soap or anything needed. You shouldn't need to do anything fancy. ^ Like said above, only use RO or distilled water

Last edited:
I have a 5 gallon bucket with a sealed lid for my Mistking and I use distilled water so not sure when or why you would need to do a deep clean. As long as sunlight isn’t penetrating through then you won’t have any issues with algae.
Easy right? I use 5 gallon bucket with lid as well. Easy to clean and refill

That’s what I wanted to know thanks. I use distilled water as well but I wasn’t sure if it would still overtime create some kind of crap in the bucket but you don’t have problems with the pump sucking water out of the bucket? Cuz if the bucket is completely sealed the pump wouldn’t be able to suck water out right?

If your going, go big! Plans for a 100% fully sealed and automated water management system attached!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/decided-to-get-a-misting-system-which-is-best.165068/page-2

I got a mist king with 5 gallon reservoir and 5 gallon overflow and obviously don’t fill my reservoir totally full but it all seems to work great I just wanted to make sure if I fill that reservoir say 4 gallons high I won’t have to worry about the last half gallon or so being murky or gross. I know it’s distilled water I just still wanted to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom