How to Keep a Cage Cool???

SiamSilver

So, I am going to be getting a chameleon (veiled) within the week, but with summer just around the corner, I am worried that my house might get too hot for my little guy. We don't have AC, so that sucks for everyone, but it can get up to 100 degrees or more in the house. So how can you cool a cage without harming the chameleon??

You could get an AC unit, even if it is just a crappy window mounted one. That is going to be your best bet and sounds like it would please everyone. You could move his cage outside if it is cooler out there. Where do you live? I know that I don't have AC in my cabin up in the upper peninsula of Michigan but it never gets that hot up there.

California, which really sucks. Maybe I can move him to the living room until then, is there anything else I can do? I rent, and my window is weird so it wouldn't hold a window AC. We have a little one in the living room, but that's it.

You can use cold water in a cold water humidifier and mist with cold water, but you don't want to shock his system or keep him wet as that will lead to illness. Have you considered moving to a place with AC?:) I would recommend that, and just to make sure that you are aware, owning a chameleon is quite expensive. Vet trips, bugs, proper cages, lighting, etc. all adds up to quite a bit. Just make sure that you are willing to invest hundreds if not thousands on top of the ~$30(depending on color) purchase price.

What I do is bought a clip on fan and turn it on to keep a nice cool breeze moving and leave the window open with my fan on. This usually helps keep the air moving, the clip on fan is when I have to leave and when it was 95 last weekend. Just make sure you keep a nice airflow in the room not a room with a closed door and window. good luck

With those temps and no AC, I think another reptile would be a much better decision. Chameleons like veileds need a large screen cage for ventilation. As a result, it is hard to make the temperature in the cage much different from your overall house temperature.

The chameleon will need a house temp of 70-75 degrees, it can get a little hotter but not much and this needs to stay the same. No big fluctuations. Heat can really hurt chameleons.

The only option would be to put it in a confined room and get a portable AC unit. The cheapest will run you $200-300, and they do not do the best job. Especially if your house gets up near 100.

I had this same problem, but my room just got to 80 degrees at its hottest.

What I do is bought a clip on fan and turn it on to keep a nice cool breeze moving and leave the window open with my fan on. This usually helps keep the air moving, the clip on fan is when I have to leave and when it was 95 last weekend. Just make sure you keep a nice airflow in the room not a room with a closed door and window. good luck

A fan helps, but it will by no means solve your problem. It will not really help lower temps to the range they need to be if your house is getting that hot.

Well, during the summer, we do have a small unit in the living room, and perhaps when it gets hot then I can move him there. Do you think that would be okay?

Well, during the summer, we do have a small unit in the living room, and perhaps when it gets hot then I can move him there. Do you think that would be okay?

It sounds as if that's your best option. He doesn't need to be right by the AC, but those other temps are going to really stress him without the AC.

Watch your cage humidity. The AC will dry it out faster so you will probably have to mist more.

It sounds as if that's your best option. He doesn't need to be right by the AC, but those other temps are going to really stress him without the AC.

Watch your cage humidity. The AC will dry it out faster so you will probably have to mist more.

Alright, I think it will be okay. It shouldn't be too hard to make a spot for him in the living room though. We have a weird desk chain thingy that I can put him on.

Make sure to have LOTS of live plants in his cage. This will help bring the temps down considerably and bring up the humidity. Look for nice base plant like a scheffela and fill in the rest

The chameleon will need a house temp of 70-75 degrees, it can get a little hotter but not much and this needs to stay the same. No big fluctuations. Heat can really hurt chameleons.

The chameleon's temp does NOT need to stay the same. Basking temp upwards of 95F, cooler cage temps around 70F. At night is is safe to allow this to drop down into the 50F range with no ill effects. Humidy upwards of 70% is also good. Flucuation is not only going to happen, but it is actaully a GOOD thing.

Not slamming you, but just wanting the OP to get some slightly more accurate information to act on. Reference the care sheets in this section if in doubt.

Back
Top Bottom